WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Wyndham Cleveland at Playhouse Square

Wyndham Cleveland at Playhouse Square
Ranked #28 of 38 Hotels in Cleveland
Columbus, Ohio
“Nice place to stay for an Indians game”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2009

My husband, my parents and I went up to Cleveland this weekend for an Indians game and stayed at the Wyndham at Playhouse Square. We were a little unsure about parking because the website was less than helpful, so here's the deal: If you are going east on Euclid, pass the hotel on your right and then make an immediate right onto E. 13th street. On your left is the Halle garage, and if you tell them you're staying at the Wyndham it's $9 per night. Warning: the signs posted say they only take cash -- no checks or credit cards. It's cheaper than $20 for valet parking but that's something you can probably put on your room charge. The downside to self-parking is that even though the garage is just across the street from the hotel, it's behind it so you have to walk around to the front door to check in.

Check in went smoothly and we were granted late check-out until 2:00 because we had signed up for the free rewards program. The rooms were acceptably clean. The only bad things about the room was that there was no information book about where things were in the hotel/nearby. Also, my parents didn't have an ironing board or hangers, but they had an iron. Otherwise everything was fine.

Progressive Field is only a short walk from the hotel, and there are plenty of restaurants between the ballpark and the hotel, so that was nice. When we got back after the game, I had a little trouble falling asleep because we were on the fourth floor and I think the ballroom must have been right under us -- there was a wedding in the building and you could hear the bass/percussion. We turned up the fan a notch and then had no problem getting to sleep. But on a weekend stay, I think I'd request a higher floor next time. No other noise problems.

Breakfast was excellent. It's buffet only, and it was very good. The man making the omelettes was especially accommodating and explained to my mother how to make good omelettes in great detail. My parents noted that behind the building next to the parking garage there is a deli that serves breakfast all day, if you don't want the buffet experience.

After breakfast, we went back to the room so I could get some work done. Tip: Internet is free if you are a rewards club member (which is also free). I highly recommend it. We had both hardwire and wi-fi in the room. I used the wi-fi and it worked fine.

Check-out was no problem. Someone knocked on our door around 12:15, and when I answered and told her we'd be leaving around 1:00 she said that was fine and she didn't come back again while we were there.

All in all, I got a good night's sleep and the location was excellent. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank wunder

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Fort Collins
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2009

I had to stay here a week while undergoing tests at Cleveland Clinic. They have a shuttle to the clinic and they even took personal care of me affter picking me up from the clinic after my tests. The bar had great appetizers,more like dinner and half price from 4:30-7. The staff couldn't of been more helpful,especially room service,my order got goofed up and they fixed it immediately. This hotel was extremely friendly and great for this out of town travler

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2009

WOW...after you read this..you are going to want to believe I made it all up...But every word is true.

Upon arriving in Valet...there wasn't a valet to be found so after standing curbside for ten minutes my husband went looking...and was told by the desk that they would be back shortly...that was another 15 mins....

Once checked in and at our room, I had to use the ladies room... there were 3 bugs on the floor and the door wouldn't shut (almost seemed to big for the doorway) thank goodness it was only my husband and I. (my mothers room had a used coffee cup under the sink)... This my friends is the best of the worst...

Upon returning from the wedding all guests were lined on the public street waiting for valet...it took over 45 mins to valet. And thats because we left our car on the main street and ran our keys up to the valet...there was an hour between the wedding and the reception and we just made it...

After the wedding we returned to find our room key not working...went to desk and were informed that another guest had been given our room "but not to worry because they saw our stuff and left" when we got into our room my purse contents were on the bed...including my open wallet and checkbook...nothing was missing but I was pissed...called the front desk and was told the manager Lee had gotten out my checkbook as a way to identify who was staying in that room since they had room's mixed up. The next day we were awaken at 9am because we didnt have a do not disturb sign so we couldn't stick it out....on top of that..due to high checkout volume the wait for our car was 1 hour and 45 mins!!!!! Spoke to Lee (manager) who tried every which way to not truly apologize .....and even felt justifed for searching my purse (he had to see who I was) and was given free parking and a room discount (after a lot of bickering)...this place sucked so bad they should have paid me to stay there!!!!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Cleveland hotels

New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2009

I stayed here for a business trip for a week. The hotel looks and feels luxurious and elegant but they nickel-and-dime you for every cent you've got.

The gym and pool were free, but parking was $45 per day. The restaurant closed at 8pm or even earlier some days and room services was very overpriced (even for basic things like burgers and chicken tenders).

Most disappointingly, I simply don't understand how ANY hotel can be charging so much for internet. They charged $25 per day which in this day and age seems pretty outrageous to me. Even the smallest of hostels and budget hotels offer free wi-fi these days. It just doesn't make sense why a place this nice would charge so much. I've stayed a hotels of all kinds all around the world and never had to pay so much for internet. Actually, I think this is the ONLY hotel I've been to where I've had to pay for internet.

I fussed and complained and even wrote to and called to Wyndham headquarters. After enough prodding they gave me a free access code, but I'm sure it was only to get me off their back.

It should also be noted that although this hotel is in downtown Cleveland in the theater district, don't get your hopes up. The area is essentially a ghost town after dark and there's not much going on in the area.

Otherwise the hotel is clean and elegant with great service. The bar downstairs was quiet and classy. But again, it was overpriced and closed pretty early.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2009

OK so this was fine, but a bit odd. Stayed here because of a show at Playhouse Square. The hotel itself seems to be well kept. The king sized room was adequate in terms of space, and generally clean, but with a few stains in the carpet, peeling wallpaper, etc, but not major violations. The odd part is that there was no guide to the hotel or description of amenities within. Maybe housekeeping just didn't realize it was missing? Not sure. Anyway the hotel does have limited in-room dining, which we didn't try figuring we'd find something outside. The city of Cleveland has refurbished the Euclid Avenue strip and kept it clean and pedestrian friendly. Only one problem: there's nothing to see or virtually no place to eat near the hotel. There is a group of marked up tourist restaurants about 9 blocks away, but literally nothing within two or three blocks of the hotel. I was trying to figure out where all the office workers eat during regular hours--I didn't see anything. But none of this is really the hotel's fault. In any case, it's really fine if you need to be downtown for a specific event or activity, but I wouldn't want to be stuck there for more than a night or two at the most.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank skipsterNewYork
Memphis, Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2009

The best thing about this hotel is that it has an indoor pool and hot tub in the basement. However, the hot tub should have been called the lukewarm tub. The sauna/steam room worked properly, though.

The other very good thing about this hotel is that it's very close to Progressive Field. So, if you're going to an Indians game, it's probably one of the two or three closest hotels to the stadium itself.

I thought the service in the breakfast area was pretty spotty, even though they primarily offer a buffet. There were also problems with the front desk finding my complete Priceline reservation.

Considering I got a good deal on Priceline, I'm satisfied overall. I don't think I'd be as satisfied if I had paid the normal, full price.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Rob S
arcadia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2008

Four guys came in from Indy to watch Browns and Colts play. Great hotel, nice staff and great rooms for price.

Stayed November 2008