“A very nice room but it's over priced” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Cleveland Downtown

The Westin Cleveland Downtown
Ranked #2 of 38 Hotels in Cleveland
Welwyn, England, United Kingdom
“A very nice room but it's over priced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

I stayed here one night on business and the hotel has recently (May 2014) been refurbished.

My room (1703) was lovely inside, plenty of room, view of the lake, nice bathroom and a good shower. Bed was excellent and also plenty of power points to charge laptop/phone/ipad etc. Beside the bed there was a clock radio which also had an IPhone docking point to charge your phone.

However, my room was close to the lift and so was noisy with people walking past I got woken up. I also had an joining room and you could here everything on the guy next door was doing though the door.

The coffee machine didn't work, it put hot water all over the place. The ironing board was the cheapest thing I'd ever seen. I put it up to iron my shirt and then couldn't put it down. I was scared to be to forceful with it and I thought it might snap. There was also only one bottle of water in the room.

So a nice hotel and good service when I checked in etc however for $255 a night it's just not good enough. There is valet only parking at $30 for 24hrs and no self park but if you look across the road you can park for $11 and that's valet parking to.

The little touches are missing and I came away wishing I'd stayed elsewhere even though it wasn't my money paying.

Room Tip: Park across the road it's much cheaper and ask for a room away from the lift (elevator)
2 Thank Colin_Welwyn
Mark A, General Manager at The Westin Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
Dear Colin_Welwyn,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Westin Cleveland Downtown. I was disappointed to read that you had struggles with noise, concerns regarding your ironing board, and that your coffee maker didn't work appropriately. We are still finalizing the "little touches" throughout the hotel; I am confident if you have the opportunity to stay with us again you will experienced them.

I'm sorry to hear that you left feeling you wished you'd stayed elsewhere; please feel free to contact me directly should you like to discuss your stay in greater detail. I can be reached at mark.anderson@westincleveland.com

Mark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
Willow Grove
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

I enjoyed my 4 night stay here.
I had no issues with check-in or check-out.I arrived before 2pm and room was ready.Check-in was quick as was check-out.
I was busy with work and did not get to enjoy the location as much as possible.
Elevators seemed to be an issue but repairmen were there every day and seemed to get better.
The attached bar was a nice place to stop off for a nightcap.
Room was very quiet and good sized.
Bathroom was a little different-I had never seen a shower with no curtain or door-just a glass partition but surprisingly no water went out on to the floor.
Central location was close to everything in downtown area but at least 10 minutes from most places if you have mobility issues.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views,either of city or lake depending on which side of building. South s...
Dear EasternYurp,

I am glad that you chose the Westin Cleveland Downtown for your four day stay in the Cleveland Ohio area. I was happy to read that you had such a positive experience with us as that is our goal to make your time away from your home more personal and enjoyable.

I hope the next time you stay with us at the Westin Cleveland Downtown you will be able to enjoy more of our hotel and also the city.

NYC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

Well, we were delighted by the valet staff when we pulled into this oasis in Downtown Cleveland. Efficient, warm and friendly – and above all patient as we ransacked our car looking for the items we would need for our overnight stay. Unfortunately, the warmth did not convey to the front desk. Don’t know if our receptionist was new or painfully shy, but she simply expended just enough energy to be cooly cordial. I think she actually cringed when my luggage nearly tipped over the roped divide. Embarrassing for me to say the least – she didn’t have to make it worse! But, like I said, her lack of warmth was more than made up for by the wonderful front door staff all of whom greeted us with smiles and comments when we went in and out. The hotel itself is a bit of a surprise. Clearly and old building, it has been redone in very euro-chic coloring and design. It’s not our favorite décor, but we were definitely impressed by the ability to update what must have been tired rooms. It’s a fun stay. We thought it a little expensive, but we did not price-shop because we liked the location so cannot speak to how its prices fit in the Cleveland marketplace.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank babettetravels
Dear Babettetravels,

Thank you for choosing the Westin Cleveland Downtown. It was a pleasure to read your review that our staff was overall warm and welcoming. I appreciate your kind words regarding the massive renovations that our property endured. I am very proud of our location downtown Cleveland, Ohio as we are in the center of it all; a beautiful lakefront and an ever growing entertainment district.

I look forward to your next visit when you are in the Cleveland area.

Powell, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

As other reviews have stated this hotel has struggled to have rooms ready on time for high-volume check-ins. We waited nearly two hours on a Saturday well after check-in for our room. I ended up having to pay a bell-hop $20 to go into the back room and get us a key to a room. I was travelling with my wife for a wedding and we missed the first half-hour of the wedding because we had to rush to get ready. The front desk staff and manager went out of their way to be unhelpful. I even asked for a place to change for the wedding and was directed to the lobby bathroom. Not great customer service.

Mark Anderson the general manager did email me promptly after my stay and apologized for the experience. I just wish they had competent management on site during the check-in disaster.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
      Sleep Quality
    • 2 of 5 stars
Dear Bab433,

Thank you for choosing the Westin Cleveland Downtown. I was glad to see that you received my personal email to you regarding your visit with us. Again, I apologize for the inconveniences that you and your wife endured while staying at our property. I am very confident that when you return to the Westin Cleveland Downtown you will have a better overall experience.

We look forward to your next visit so we can provide you the quality stay that you deserve.

Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

My wife and I truly enjoyed our one night stay this past weekend. GM Mark R (along with Megan and the rest of the staff was incredible). The place is absolutely beautiful and the on site amenities are top notch! They thought of everything during the remodel and the little details are very impressive. Our two-room suite was perfect and had a great night sleep. The BEST part of this Westin is the on site Steakhouse Urban Farmer. We started with the cheese cart, then the beef tartare, along with oysters (both perfect). My wife had the filet and I had their top of the line ribeye. Up to this point Red the Steakhouse was my fav, not anymore, best ribeye I've ever had!!!!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank BVHBILLY
Mark A, General Manager at The Westin Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Dear BVHBILLY,

It was a pleasure to have you and your wife stay with us at the Westin Cleveland Downtown. I'm elated to hear what a great time you both had, it means a lot that you enjoy all the fine touches we have put into our hotel. It was wonderful to hear that you took advantage of Urban Farmer and dined with them, it is truly a premier steakhouse.

We look forward to you both returning to the hotel and enjoying our property.

Lakeway, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

This newly renovated property was opened just 6 weeks ago. Service is up to Westin standards. Amenities were good. Nice lobby. Good bar. (Didn't try the food.) Nice layout for meetings. But the building needed 2 more elevators. Making it worse, one of the four was usually down. It consistently took 10 minutes to get a car and to get to the 20th floor ... so take a room on a lower floor! Second, if you are traveling with a companion who is not an intimate companion the sliding bathroom door ... with the window was odd (tempered glass ... but not tempered enough! On the plus side, the shower was nice. Finally, some of the room layouts are odd. I had a great line of site view ... of the commode from my bed.

Room Tip: Ask for a lower floor but still with a lake view.
1 Thank AustinTravelMan
AutsinTravelMan,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Westin Cleveland Downtown. We are very glad to hear that you appreciate the decor of our newly renovated property. Although all elevators were not functioning during your stay, we look forward to your next visit when they are and then your review will reflect a title of "Amazing".

Thank you again for being our guest at the Westin Cleveland Downtown.

Columbus
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

I arrived in the evening on Saturday 8/2/14 and was told by valet there would be a two hour wait for a room since there were so many checkouts that morning. I decided to call and check and was told my room was ready. After 20 mins in line I checked in and went up to my room. To my surprise my room had not been cleaned as there was food still in the fridge and a ruffled bed. I then waited another hour for my room to be cleaned but in the meantime the doorman Dennis Radford was very pleasant and checked on the room as well as assisted me with bags off and on that evening. Thank you Dennis!

Although it was not the best check-in experience, the room was clean, modern, and I had a great view.

• Stayed August 2014
      Cleanliness
CuteTourist,

Thank you for staying with us at the Westin Cleveland Downtown. I am sorry to read about the initial experience you had in regards to checking in and going to a dirty room. However, I was happy to read that Dennis was quick to be of assistance to you and overall your experience with the Westin Cleveland Downtown ended on a positive note.

We look forward to you staying with us again.