“Nice Hotel. Poor Service”

The Westin Cleveland Downtown
Ranked #6 of 38 Hotels in Cleveland
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
“Nice Hotel. Poor Service”
Reviewed August 3, 2014

The hotel itself is very nice, fresh, and modern. We arrived at the hotel at almost 4 PM. Our room was not ready at that time as well as many other guests who were all waiting for rooms to be cleaned. We decided to go for drinks to wait for our room. When we arrived back at the hotel at 8 PM, people were still waiting for rooms. Fortunately with some pushing we finally got our room. I'm not really sure what the issue was with housekeeping. They did comp us for 4 drinks and parking. If they get their act together, I would stay there again. I have never had to wait such a long time for a room. Very disappointing

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Marsha N
Mark A, General Manager at The Westin Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Dear Marsha N.,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Westin Cleveland Downtown, we do appreciate your business. I was sorry to read that you had to wait for your room to be ready. However, I was glad to read that our staff did take care of you with a couple complimentary beverages and parking.

We do hope that you return to Cleveland and choose our property again as we would love for you to have a more positive experience at the Westin Cleveland Downtown. Please feel free to email me directly if you have any further concerns regarding your stay, I can be reached at mark.anderson@westincleveland.com

Mark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed August 3, 2014

This Westin in 3 blocks from the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame and in fact is close to many other restaurants, ballparks and museums. We pulled up to the entrance and right away we were helped with our bags and valet parking which is all they offer ($30. per day). We checked in and were upgraded (due to our stays with Starwood))to the 20th floor and had a beautiful room. The hotel is lovely and the staff were very nice and helpful. I used the gym during our stay and that was very nice, clean and well equipped. We also ate at the Urban Farmer restaurant in the lobby which was very good. I would stay at this Westin again.

Room Tip: we stayed in room 2018, nive view
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Richard F
Dear Richard F.,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Westin Cleveland Downtown. I am so pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us.

We do look forward to you visiting again.

Carson City, Nevada, United States
Reviewed August 3, 2014

Spent 3 nights at the Westin and found the staff to be very good and very helpful. However the hotel and my room left something to be desired. First, there was only one drawer in my room where you could unpack things. All the rest were taken up with this and that. The coffee maker was so well hidden that a friend of mine had trouble finding his.
There are no house phones in the lobby. So to get in touch with a guest, you go to your room and call or you go to his room. There is only one restaurant in the hotel which is very upscale and expensive one. There is a Starbucks in the lobby behind the elevators but it closes early. Not many places to eat close by on a Sunday evening after 8 pm.
Oh yes, you can tell that they consider themselves to be an upscale hotel since they charge $13/day for internet access.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Douglas C
Dear Douglas C,

We truly appreciate you staying with us at the Westin Cleveland Downtown. I was happy to read that our staff was attentive to your needs. I understand your frustration regarding the lack of house phones and I do apologize for this inconvenience, we are working on finalizing the install of the house phones and I hope by the time you return to the Westin Cleveland Downtown they will be ready for use.

I have enclosed my email address should you want to talk with me further regarding your stay as I do value the input and opinions of our guests. My email is mark.anderson@westincleveland.com.

Thank you again for choosing the Westin Cleveland Downtown for your three night stay, we hope to see you again soon.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed August 2, 2014

This is a lovely hotel. The vast majority of the staff are extremely helpful and go far out of their way to assist you. It is a great location. The rooms are spacious and the view of the lake a nice feature. The club room was especially nice.

Unfortunately on the last night of our stay we had a bad experience which soured what was an otherwise very positive stay. At 3:00 when our room still wasn't cleaned we called down to ask housekeeping when they would be cleaning our room. The operator said that housekeeping indicated it would be cleaned within the hour. At 5:00 when we returned to our room and it still wasn't clean we called and the operator said certainly by the time we returned from dinner the room would be clean. At 8:00 the operator said 20 minutes; at 9:00 she said 20 minutes; at 10:30 at night housekeeping finally arrived to clean the room. The operator was very nice but she wasn't able to get housekeeping to call or give an accurate estimate of time. The manager on duty was a disaster. I heard the operator tell her we really needed some help and wanted to speak with her. We heard the manager tell the operator to "take a message". The operator told us she spoke with the manager and also sent her an email. At 10:15 when we still hadn't seen housekeeping we called the operator again. Apparently she handed the manager the phone and I heard her say "you really need to speak with this guest". When I asked the manager why she hadn't called back she said hadn't been told that I called. Really? She said she would get housekeeping to our room right away and would take the cost of one night off of the bill. HUGE SURPRISE, when I called to confirm the adjustment had been made I was told the manager had not made a note or adjusted the bill. I left a message for the manager to call me back to remind her to adjust the bill. I never heard back from her.

I could tell the operator was doing everything she could think of to help. She was really trying hard to see how to help us. She sounded as frustrated as we were that she couldn't get our room cleaned.

Things happen that are less than optimal. That's to be expected. While management can't always fix a situation, good customer service can help to avoid the experience from turning into a nightmare. Unfortunately, the opposite happened. The manager on duty made a bad situation into a horrible experience. It's experiences like this that make it difficult to come back for another stay. While incidents like this don't often happen, when they do it is important that the hotel is equipped with competent managers that are responsive, do what they say they are going to do and follow up to make sure the problem is resolved.

Room Tip: room looking over the lake was very nice
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank cgp1708
Dear cgp1708,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Westin Cleveland Downtown. I am very sorry that your stay was less than positive and that you encountered problems with both Housekeeping and our MOD. I am very interested in talking with you further to resolve the issues that you encountered and turn your stay into a better memory.

Please reach out to me at your convenience, my email address is mark.anderson@westincleveland.com

I look forward to hearing from you.

Cleveland
Reviewed August 2, 2014

We arrived about 2pm and they said the room is under cleaning. After eating for one hour, it's still not ready. Never get such a bad feeling as a SPG platinum member. Definitely not recommended. The location is good but only valet parking is available which cost about 30 per day.

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Dannylee818
Dear Dannylee818,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Westin Cleveland Downtown. I am very disappointed to hear that your stay was not up to the standards in which we pride ourselves on, I would like to discuss the details of your stay further. Please feel free to contact me at mark.anderson@westincleveland.com.

New Lenox, Illinois
Reviewed July 30, 2014

Stayed here this past weekend and overall it was a very good experience. The staff is wonderful. Props to Dennis the door man for being exceptional. He offered us his personal umbrella to use when the hotel ran out of their umbrellas. Thanks, Dennis!!

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank cpratl
Dear cpratl,

Thank you so much for choosing the Westin Cleveland Downtown. We are pleased to hear that you received such wonderful customer service, especially from Dennis. We hope that when you return to stay with us again, the weather is much better!

Thank you again for your kind words.

Reviewed July 29, 2014

This hotel is brand new and it shows. Very very clean! The staff is very friendly and helpful. The only down side is the parking. Be prepared to pay $30 a night for valet. On street parking is very very limited. Overall a good stay. This Westin in my opinion is on par with Cat 4 or 5 SPG properties.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank RedSoxDavid
Dear Red Sox David,
Thank you for providing wonderful feedback! We truly hope we can welcome you back soon!