“Great Hotel-Professional Staff”

Ranked #16 of 38 Hotels in Cleveland
NM
“Great Hotel-Professional Staff”
Reviewed November 22, 2006

Stayed at this Hotel on a recent business trip. Enjoyed the bar and restaurant MUSE and the great staff. Property is adjacent to a shopping mall with places to eat and a cinema. And the beds and sheets are the most comfortable that I can remember. Good meeting rooms also.

• Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank altitude

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Korean first
Toledo, OH
Reviewed September 3, 2006

I'm not a princess. I'm a typical Marriott customer who decided to try the Ritz because their weekend package was in line with Marriott prices. The double bed I slept in had wonderful linens and a soft fetherbed, but the mattress sagged. You can't cover up a poor foundation. Otherwise, the room was nice and the bathroom was much larger than most hotels. It may have been a while since it was redecorated, but it still was elegant. We really liked the steam room, sauna, pool, and whrlpool. It felt great after watching an athletic event in the cold and rain. Water bottles and apples were a nice touch. Staff were plentiful and very helpful. This is the area where they really shine. They allowed us to trade the two tickets included in our package for 2 additional breakfaxts. We had paid for the self-park package, but they offered valet parking and the valets were quick. Breakfast at the Century restaurant was a disaster. We weren't offered coffee until we'd been seated about 7 minutes. I knocked over my cup of coffee (definately not a princess move) while the waiter was taking my order. He didn't do a thing about it; no effort to clean it up, or bring me another cup of coffee. Luckily the thick tablecloth soaked it up. Towards the end of the meal, the waiter knocked over my husband's cup of coffee. Thank heavens for that thick tablecloth. We noticed them dumping cartons of orange juice into pitchers. The menu only listed "fresh squeezed orange juice". Amazing what you can get for $4. We did learn that the Century restaurant was closing that day and will reopen as something else. Let's hope that waiter is gone.

• Liked — Most of the staff members were very helful.
  • Disliked — the mattress in our room and the waiter in the restaurant
  • Tips/Secrets — Book a package. 2 breakfasts, valet parking , and 2 tickets to area attractions only $20 more
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
2 Thank tamaralea
Pittsburgh
Reviewed September 1, 2006

Wow! What an incredible hotel and a friendly and inviting staff. The club lounge with different food througout the day is worth the money. I would definitely go back and stay again.

Stayed August 2006
1 Thank Hoteljunke
ocala, florida
Reviewed August 19, 2006

Having just returned from a disappointing stay at the Ritz, I feel compelled to write my first advisory. This property certainly isn't up to Ritz standards. Check in was uneventful...with the exception that staff seemed bored and there was no doorman or bellman to assist with bags. The room was standard with two skimpy pillows. The bed was comfortable. We were disappointed to return to the room after our meeting to find only one bed made up. The smell in the hall each morning reminded me of car exhaust. The flowers in the lobby were lovely, but the ones in the hall had dirty water when we arrived.

I do appreciate the services of the conceriege and the excellent dining recommendations. And the water and towels for joggers in the a.m.

With a little work, this would be up to RC standards.

5 Thank rivercat123
Cleveland
Reviewed August 2, 2006

I am a big fan of The Ritz and will only stay there when traveling. They just have the routine down perfectly. The rooms are classy and welcoming. The staff is warm and friendly. And they go out of their way to make you feel at home. I can't think of anything else I'd want out of a hotel.

You get what you pay for and in this case it is absolutely worth it. I will return as often as possible!

• Stayed March 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank jmartini
Pennington, New Jersey
Reviewed June 27, 2006

First, I confess I was not a TripAdvisor poster last summer when I visited the Cleveland R-C. But seeing the most recent June '06 review reminded me of a remarkably similar experience. When the reviews start to sound familiar, you get the idea that negatives are not the rantings of a lone malcontent.

We stay at four and five star hotels on AMEX Platinum, which ususally gets you a pleasant supply of upgrades and amenities, such as late check-out, free breakfast, and room upgrade where available. Traveling on an overnight with our niece, we reserved a "deluxe" and asked for a roll-away, but we were prepared to pay for a suite if no upgrade was available. Turns out, no upgrade, no suites, and no rollaway (although for an extra $30, they might have been able to find one.) Complimentary meal was lunch, not breakfast (not much good for overnight stay leaving in the morning), but those can be the breaks with these upgrade deals: you don't always score.

We finally obtained a room that suited our needs, despite one of the nastiest front desk clerks in the history of hospitality (if you're that angry with the world, why not get into a different line of work?), and the absence of staff anywhere in the lobby. The shortage of staff was not surprising, to the extent the place looked empty (Cleveland Indians were not in town; have you been to Cleveland in August?), and the Club Level was similarly quiet. I'll dispense with the part of the story where the Club attendant assured me there were plenty of suites available, only to learn when he called the front desk that someone must have booked all of them in the past hour.

The balance of the evening and following morning were much the same. No staff, no service. Pool is nice, but I agree that spa attendants were, uh, disengaged. Plenty of restaurant choices near the hotel, which is walking distance to the baseball field (and also to football and basketball venues, but perhaps not so much when the wind blows off the lake.) But this hotel, with its faded brocade and worn carpets, needs a makeover, both in furnishings and attitude. They just weren't interested in puttin' on the Ritz.

Stayed August 2005
11 Thank jackfurlongesq_123
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed June 15, 2006

This was my second stay at this Ritz Carlton. It is a nice hotel but not nearly as polished as other Ritz Carltons I've visited. The attention to detail (or lack there of) is what makes this Ritz a far cry from the others in this chain.

For example, I went to work out in the gym at 8am on a Saturday. There was no attendant at the gym's desk. You had to pick through a basket of keys to secure your possesions in the lockers. In the locker room there were no clean towels. Normally, there is fresh water with lemons by the locker room. On this day I could tell that the water had been sitting over night and there were no glasses to drink from!

The staff was attentive to my needs but I felt like I had to tell them what they should already know. This was evident by my having to remind the front desk staff that my particular credit card affords me certain privilages at the hotel. There is no such reminder needed at other Ritz Carltons.

Again, this is a very nice hotel but it does not meet the standards of other Ritz Carltons.

• Stayed March 2006