The Ritz-Carlton, Cleveland
$221
InterContinental
$135
  • Restaurant
Comfort Inn Downtown(Cleveland)(Great Value!)
$130
$110
$108
$102
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsclub levelhorseshoe casinoladies and gentlemenlobby loungecuyahoga riverturn down servicetower city mallevery employeeroom servicefitness centerrock and roll hallcavs gamewarehouse districtvalet parkingcorner roomheart of downtownquicken loans arena
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 2, 2006

I am a big fan of The Ritz and will only stay there when traveling. They just have the routine down perfectly. The rooms are classy and welcoming. The staff is warm and friendly. And they go out of their way to make you feel at home. I can't think of anything else I'd want out of a hotel.

You get what you pay for and in this case it is absolutely worth it. I will return as often as possible!

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank jmartini
Reviewed June 27, 2006

First, I confess I was not a TripAdvisor poster last summer when I visited the Cleveland R-C. But seeing the most recent June '06 review reminded me of a remarkably similar experience. When the reviews start to sound familiar, you get the idea that negatives are not the rantings of a lone malcontent.

We stay at four and five star hotels on AMEX Platinum, which ususally gets you a pleasant supply of upgrades and amenities, such as late check-out, free breakfast, and room upgrade where available. Traveling on an overnight with our niece, we reserved a "deluxe" and asked for a roll-away, but we were prepared to pay for a suite if no upgrade was available. Turns out, no upgrade, no suites, and no rollaway (although for an extra $30, they might have been able to find one.) Complimentary meal was lunch, not breakfast (not much good for overnight stay leaving in the morning), but those can be the breaks with these upgrade deals: you don't always score.

We finally obtained a room that suited our needs, despite one of the nastiest front desk clerks in the history of hospitality (if you're that angry with the world, why not get into a different line of work?), and the absence of staff anywhere in the lobby. The shortage of staff was not surprising, to the extent the place looked empty (Cleveland Indians were not in town; have you been to Cleveland in August?), and the Club Level was similarly quiet. I'll dispense with the part of the story where the Club attendant assured me there were plenty of suites available, only to learn when he called the front desk that someone must have booked all of them in the past hour.

The balance of the evening and following morning were much the same. No staff, no service. Pool is nice, but I agree that spa attendants were, uh, disengaged. Plenty of restaurant choices near the hotel, which is walking distance to the baseball field (and also to football and basketball venues, but perhaps not so much when the wind blows off the lake.) But this hotel, with its faded brocade and worn carpets, needs a makeover, both in furnishings and attitude. They just weren't interested in puttin' on the Ritz.

Stayed: August 2005
11  Thank jackfurlongesq_123
Reviewed June 15, 2006

This was my second stay at this Ritz Carlton. It is a nice hotel but not nearly as polished as other Ritz Carltons I've visited. The attention to detail (or lack there of) is what makes this Ritz a far cry from the others in this chain.

For example, I went to work out in the gym at 8am on a Saturday. There was no attendant at the gym's desk. You had to pick through a basket of keys to secure your possesions in the lockers. In the locker room there were no clean towels. Normally, there is fresh water with lemons by the locker room. On this day I could tell that the water had been sitting over night and there were no glasses to drink from!

The staff was attentive to my needs but I felt like I had to tell them what they should already know. This was evident by my having to remind the front desk staff that my particular credit card affords me certain privilages at the hotel. There is no such reminder needed at other Ritz Carltons.

Again, this is a very nice hotel but it does not meet the standards of other Ritz Carltons.

• Stayed: March 2006
14  Thank mike0steff
A TripAdvisor Member
Mansfield, OH
Reviewed December 11, 2005

To encourage fellow travelers why they should vacation in Cleveland, and stay at this hotel in particular, the Ritz-Carlton chain should not lower its standards - just because we are in Cleveland - but should be striving towards the greatness of other, world-class Ritz hotels throughout the country. Travel guides that give this hotel four stars should revisit and rethink the praise. This hotel to me should be rated a three star, with an asterik stating 'hotel in need of vast improvements'.

We had booked a king-sized bed/room back in March as we were attending a sold-out concert the evening of our stay. The performers for the evening were also staying in the hotel, and while this was fun to see, it made us feel left out and unimportant by the hotel staff. Elevators were 'out of service' to the other guests staying at the Ritz for the convenience of the celebrities, and we had to wait in long lines for the only other elevator.
Calls to the front desk, concierge, and room service went completely unanswered at times. We were initially given a disabled room, lots of bars and grips in the bathroom, and as my husband and I are not disabled, we asked for another room. No king-sized rooms were left, so after a heated argument with a manager, we were shown to the only other room available, which had a large, disgusting brown stain between the two beds, room 1006, to be exact. The cleaner, or fragrant spray the hotel uses to mask odors was overdone to me and did not help the overall musty smell lingering in the rooms and hallways. Carpet and cloth furniture in rooms and hallways seemed to be unchanged from the 80's. Very disappointing rooms for the price. Time for an update, time for a complete renovation here.

Rooms service especially sad after the concert. We were told about 45 minutes or less time-wise until delivery, but after an hour and a half wait with no call or reason given for the delay, the front desk, (whom we called repeatedly and never picked-up forcing my husband at 2am to confront in person) could offer no help in the matter, other than to tell us maybe the mini-bar would suffice as they were sorry, but extremely busy. Room service never came to our room or called. We can only attribute our lack of service and treatment to being labeled as difficult guests.

We paid over $300 for the room and almost left in the middle of the night to drive home, so unhappy with the hotel and staff after such a fabulous concert. The next morning we pulled another manager aside and tried to explain things to her. She was most helpful and seemed upset that we were and took a hundred dollars off our bill, but the experience stays with you, it cannot be erased no matter how much money comes off the final bill, we booked the room to avoid all that and have a night worth remembering, so while the concert itself will stay with us forever, I'm hoping to quickly forget my stay at the Cleveland Ritz-Carlton, and we will not be returing anytime soon.

32  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 13, 2005

We stayed in Room 1428 at the Ritz Carlton on Nov 12 2005. We were in Cleveland to take a tour of the Case Western Campus. Room 1428 is a club level room.

We have stayed at other Ritz Carlton locations always in the club level. The club level in Cleveland lacked the usual quanities of food. Generally the breakfast has eggs, etc. This location had more of a continential breakfast. Also, contantly had to ask for water, plates etc. The club level staff was very friendly and helpful.

The room was very nice. We had a nice lake view. The room was comfortable and very clean.

The check in staff was very nice, the valet staff was very nice ($22.00/night).

We used the pool and hot tub - very nice but lots of used towels and cups laying around. I also used the steam room and enjoyed it very much.

I would stay here again but probably wouldn't spend for the Club Level again - I just didn't see that it was worth the extra money when a regular room would have been fine.

Overall I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the Cleveland area.

1  Thank Sassycruiser