“A Beautiful Hotel with a Wonderful Staff, but a Couple of Issues”

The Ritz-Carlton, Cleveland
Ranked #16 of 38 Hotels in Cleveland
Reviewed July 14, 2014

I like the Cleveland Ritz Carlton. My wife, son and I stayed there for three nights for an anniversary, baseball, Rock 'N Roll Hall of Fame trip. Like the City of Cleveland itself, it works hard to project a positive image, but a few issues are clearly visible.

The location is great. It is a short walk to the baseball park, and a slightly longer walk to the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame (we drove to the latter because my wife had recently had an operation). It is close to the small, but attractive Warehouse District on 6th St. and the pedestrian mall on 4th Street with lots of restaurants, bars and live music.

The room and public areas are vintage Ritz: gleaming wood, shiny crystal, oriental rugs and an air of elegance. Service is a real plus. Everyone is friendly from the parking attendants to the waitresses to the club floor attendants. Just what you would expect from a Ritz. In fact, even better because staff were genuinely friendly in addition to the courtesy one expects from Ritz staff.

Speaking of the Club Floor. We got a "Stay 3 nights, pay for 2" deal for around $400.00 per night. This is a little more than we typically pay, but food and drinks on the club level were included, as well as valet parking. We thought it was a good value. The appetizers were very tasty; lunch and breakfast were nice as well. The Staff was great. I loved the multiple newspapers and magazines in the Club Lounge. Unlike other Ritz Carltons, however the furniture in the club was slightly tattered. Two upholstered armchairs were soiled and in desperate need of steam cleaning. This has been noted in other reviews, so why management doesn't tend to this immediately is a mystery.

Our room was elegant, roomy and clean. The bathroom was filled with complimentary items, including a razor and toothbrush. Housekeeping was impeccable.

We stopped in for a drink at the bar. No bartender was present, but our server cheerfully noted that she was doubling as the bartender. This was a little surprising since we were there on a Saturday night.

I worked out at the health club. It had the usual elegant locker room, but a little less equipment than one usually finds at a Ritz.

We did get a welcome e-mail soliciting anything we might need. I wrote back and asked a few questions, but got no response. I found this odd given the "we try harder" attitude of the staff while we were there.

We were given wonderful chocolates in the shape of guitars and a personal note for our anniversary, and our son got cookies with a note that the hotel hoped he enjoyed the baseball game.

So on the whole, this is a great hotel. I would stay again. It needs just a few tweaks to be top drawer, and I am rooting for this place because the people who work there are so likeable.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank stropertre
Kelly S, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Cleveland, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2014

Dear stropertre,

Thank you so very much for the wonderful review, glowing comments and valuable feedback regarding your recent family experience in our hotel. The Ritz-Carlton Club Lounge Concierges were thrilled to learn of their genuinely friendly service and that you enjoyed the fun rock-themed chocolates. I would welcome the opportunity to talk with you about the our design plans to refresh and revitalize our hotel that are currently under development and any other service issues that fell short of your expectation. I may be contacted directly at The Ritz-Carlton at 216.902.5270. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel hopefully soon!

There are newer reviews for The Ritz-Carlton, Cleveland

Reviewed July 13, 2014

My wife and I stayed 4 nights in late June. Room was fine, as you would expect for these rates. However, there was only one functioning elevator for the duration of the stay, with no explanation nor apology provided. Also, service in the Muse dining room (dinner and breakfast) was very slow. And, even though slow, a standard breakfast came without the potatoes ordered. Disappointed.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family

Dear 398Jim,

Thank you for taking the time to post your valuable feedback about The Ritz-Carlton, Cleveland. I apologize for the service you experienced in Muse as it does not live up to our Ritz-Carlton standards. I spoke with our culinary team to retrain and re-energize timeliness of service and correct meal orders. I am sorry that you also experienced the hotel elevator repair with us. Safety is very important to us and I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you during your stay. Please know I am available to discuss further at 216.902.5270. We hope to be able to welcome you back soon so we may provide you with a much improved and memorable service experience.

Reviewed July 7, 2014

We stayed here for two nights on a comped offer from Horseshoe Cleveland. Our first impression of this hotel was great, it was beautiful and the staff were very friendly upon check in. In fact, every employee we encountered during our stay was wonderful.

The room was clean, spacious, and stayed cool despite the 80+ degree temperatures outside. The hotel is connected to small shopping center, with a movie theatre, food court, some office buildings, and Horseshoe Casino. If you're coming in for a short stay, you may not have to leave the premises.

We attended an Indians game while in town and Progressive Field was about a ten minute walk away. We were also within about a ten minute walk to 4th Street and the Warehouse District. Perfect location; we would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MichiganderTravelers

Dear MichiganderTravelers,

Thank you so very much for the wonderful review and glowing comments. I so appreciate you taking the time to write and look forward to sharing with our service professionals of Ladies and Gentlemen. Looking forward to meeting you and welcoming you back!

Reviewed July 4, 2014

This hotel almost looks a bit misplaced. The entrance is confusing but the quality and service confirms the promise of the Ritz name. If you have to be in Cleveland, this is probably THE place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 2, 2014

In Cleveland on business, but it's my home town....hadn't visited downtown in many years...was astounded at how well the city looked and felt....great vibe....lots happening ......young people all over town....the hotel was superb...perfect location....wonderful staff....14th floor (club level) was great......bar and restaurant were terrific......within walking distance of many attractions

Room Tip: had a city view (not bad)....lake might be better.....club floor (14th) is wonderful
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank restoman2020

Dear restoman2020,

Thank you so very much for your fabulous comments. I will be sure and share the positive experience you had with our Ladies and Gentlemen. We so appreciate this recognition and look forward to welcoming you back.

Kelly

Reviewed June 29, 2014

My sister and I stayed here so we could see a show at the Quicken Loans Arena next door. We were able to walk through the mall and down to a tunnel that takes you to the arena. It was very convenient! Also, we had a beautiful view of the water from our window. I would urge the hotel to be more cautious about people sneaking up to the penthouse floor, however. There was an old-school "boy band" playing a show nearby, and there were women coming up to the top floor to see if they could find the guys. (I do not think they even stayed in town, as we were right near the penthouse and saw nobody around.)

Overall, the restaurant in the hotel is amazing. That was my favorite part. Quite upscale!

Oh, and the plush bed was also something very memorable. I felt like I was sleeping on a cloud!

Room Tip: There's a little room right next to the penthouse with a great view of the water. Ask for it!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Veronica H
Reviewed June 25, 2014

We were recently here on a business trip. It is a beautiful old hotel. Rooms nicely appointed and super comfortable beds. Service was top notch. The only issue we had was our room was not ready when we arrived, but they handled the problem very well. We also ate there with our conference. Food was excellent. Dinner buffet was phenomenal. Everything fresh and delicious!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business