“Classic, Refined Quality Hotel”

The Ritz-Carlton, Cleveland
Ranked #18 of 38 Hotels in Cleveland
Crystal Lake, Illinois
“Classic, Refined Quality Hotel”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We spent one night and were given the room comped by Harrah's Casino. The linens and furniture were all good quality. The service was wonderful.We plan on going back and spend more time because it is located to many sites we would enjoy. Would like to have one of the specialty drinks in the lounge.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Korean first
North Wales, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We visited Cleveland on a Thursday night and couldn't believe how great the service was!

From the moment we valet parked our car to check-in and finally check-out, the employees and the service were top notch at the Ritz Carlton Hotel in Cleveland.

The hotel is conveniently located next to a shopping mall at Tower Place that offers many shopping and dining offers as well as a covered walking path to the Horshoe Casino. Also, public transportation departs from the mall to almost anywhere you want to go in the city.

Our check-in at the reception desk was quick and efficient and the staff was friendly and helpful both at check-in and check out.

Upon arrival we were told that we had an upgrade to the Club Floor and when we arrived on the floor, we were immediated greeted by name by Alice who had a big smile on her face and seemed genuinely happy to see us.

The food and beverage display is great and for the nominal fee that they charge, I would highly recommend upgrading to this room category! They even give you complimentary bottles of water at bed time.

Our room was nice and spacious and immiculately clean. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was bright and shiny clean. Our room overlooked Lake Erie, which was relaxing and serene.

This must be the best hotel in Cleveland and we really enjoyed our stay there and recommend you staying here if possible.

Room Tip: Ask for room with a lake view on a high floor. Pay the extra to stay on the Club Floor, it is worth...
1 Thank dfc9258
Fredonia, New York
Reviewed September 26, 2012

We were comped by Harrah's for our stay here and I have to admit, we probably wouldn't have spent that much on a room otherwise. We have stayed in nicer rooms, tho this was very nice, but the service was outstanding. We couldn't find fault with any of the staff or the room, for that matter. The only complaint I might have was valet was slow. I was beginning to wonder if my car was lost but it didn't affect our opinion of the hotel. I suggest you call even before you check out.
I pretty much agree with most of the reviews; especially, about the walk to/from the casino after the mall is closed. I was planning to meet my husband at the casino but changed my mind as the mall was closed and it's a 10 min walk. He only saw one security guard while walking back. I hate to think how scary that would be if you were a big winner (haha) and someone were watching you. Just a suggestion for the walk between the two. Hotel is on 3rd floor, casino 1st but you have to walk from hotel to escalator/elevator (I suggest elevator). Then you have to walk to casino - all in all, it takes about 10 min. Once you find your way, stay with the same route everytime; otherwise, you'll become confused. When you're ready to return from the casino, use the escalators (down) directly across from the Total Rewards desk on the first floor. Signage is non existant for the return. Incidentally, don't forget to check out the 2nd floor of the casino.
We will definitely return since we will no doubt be comped again and it was a very pleasant visit. We went for our anniversary and once the staff knew, they wished us a Happy Anniversary and looked like they meant it.
Take serious note about using the GPS to arrive at the hotel valet. That was the most confusing as you will also see "valet parking" signs - don't follow those. Our reservation had the casino address (100 Public Square) and perhaps that was the problem. The hotel valet in on a small side street and even now looking at my paperwork, I cannot find the hotel address tho I see from here, it is on Third St.
Re the mall, I would say it was typical (3 levels) tho not high end. There are lots of restaurants in and around the area.
One last comment, there is a stocked bar but more important, there is a one cup coffee pot but it's tucked away under the tv. If you like extra cream or sugar, you might want to bring it from home. This may seem trivial to some but I was wondering how I was going to get my first cup in the morning without paying $15 for room service. So happy I finally decided to check out the cabinet.

2 Thank mtab
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 25, 2012

To be fair, I am going to separate this review into 2 parts - The hotel and its affiliates.

Part 1 - We enjoyed our recent stay at the Ritz Carlton in downtown Cleveland. The hotel is filled with the classic style and impressive service you would expect from this upscale chain. At first, we were a bit confused with the area of where the valet was located. It is NOT near the public square where our GPS advised us (as usual), it is located on West 3rd. Actually, once we realized where it was, it was very convenient and the valet was very fast and friendly throughout our entire stay. There are in and out privileges throughout your stay and I do believe it is $28 a day for parking. Honestly, the staff at the Ritz were all very helpful and friendly.

Our room request was honored, as we were assigned at King room on an upper level. The room was very spacious and the bed extremely comfortable. The flat screen TV had many channels including HBO and Pay Per View options if desired. There is an in room safe and ample closet space including 2 bath robes. The bathroom was also very large and I loved the marble sink and shower.

There is a mini bar and a desk/work area with internet connection. There are ice machines on each floor and room service if desired.

The pool is a heated indoor pool located on the 7th floor in the spa area. There is also a large hot tub, plenty of towels and lounges. The pool was very refreshing and quiet while we were there.

The only thing that was a bit odd was the changing of elevators needed to go from your room to the lobby and then to the valet outside. I know this is because of the connection of the hotel to the mall, it was not difficult to do, it was just odd.

The hotel is connected to a large indoor mall/subway station/casino and is located in the center of downtown Cleveland in the Public Square. It is very close to clubs, restaurants and attractions.

We would not hesitate to stay here again if the opportunity arises.

Part 2 - The mall and the casino. At first, the mall connected to the Ritz was interesting and convenient. We checked in early in the day and spent some time in the afternoon strolling around some of the shops. Most were your typical mall stores like Bath & Body, shoe stores, Food court (with a variety of options), candy store, book store, etc. There is also a Hard Rock connected to the mall. During the day it was a bonus to have this available to the Ritz guests, however at night....a completely different story!

In the evening after dinner with friends, we decided to head over to the casino which is connected to the mall. You have to walk through about half the mall and then take elevators or escalators down to the bottom floor near the subway and walk through a connector to get to the casino. Once at the casino, there is security and your typical casino activity.

The casino seemed pretty nice, but it was loud even for a weekend night. The one thing I did like was that it was completely smoke free and we could breathe. The casino seemed clean and staff helpful.

Here were the problems: 1st, there are no real signs once in the casino to designate where you are to go to get back to the hotel. We had to ask several casino employees who didn't know either. This could be and was a bit challenging for us. (However, maybe its set up that way so you wont leave...lol) So here is a tip...don't drink or use your GPS to get back, you may be sorry.

2nd and the biggest problem, the looong walk back to the hotel at night. The actual walk is not that long, however it is SCARY!!! Once down the connecting corridor to the mall and out of site of casino security...YOU ARE ALONE on your walk back. We saw no security on our walk to and from the casino which is frightening. We did see several sketchy characters "hanging out" or whatever they were doing around the area which made us extremely uncomfortable. My husband, who is a big strong guy, was furious at the lack of security for the Ritz and casino visitors. The concept was good, the follow through....not so much!

This is a dangerous situation that seriously needs to be addressed between the Ritz and the casino if they are going to be working together. Its not about "IF" there will be an incident, its only about "WHEN" if there hasn't been already! I hope this is resolved soon, so then we may consider going back.

9 Thank Mickeymotto
Reviewed September 23, 2012

This feels as if it was built as a top quality hotel and is being kept to a lesser standard now. The bones are high quality, but i would guess the rates don't allow the refurbishing that a top quality asset requires. I am also concerned that as the hotel is being used as a hotel for the casino that the quality of the service will suffer.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Melizondo
Toledo, Oh
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We spent one night at the Ritz for our anniversary, and it was an incredible experience. The lobby is beautiful and the service is incredible. The hotel had chocolate covered strawberries and chocolate waiting for us in our room, which was on the top floor. We had access to the club room, which allowed us complimentary alcohol and food almost all day. The room was immaculate and the bed very comfortable. Also a very quiet environment-- no banging doors to wake me up. The girl in the club room (Emily?? , Erica? ) gave exceptional service. Also loved that the Ritz is connected to the casino (which is gorgeous, by the way). Can't say enough about this property. Only complaint (of course, there has to be something, right?) is that for this $, I would think wireless would be free. But that's it-- the rest was outstanding. I would definitely suggest the Ritz for a special occasion for anyone.

Room Tip: If you are staying at the Ritz anyway, check out the club room privileges package. It might be wort...
1 Thank E G
Ohio
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We stayed at the hotel complimentary from a Casino offer. We were expecting nothing but the best at a Ritz-Carlton. When we arrived for valet service, we were quickly greeted by friendly attendants. Our name was asked and as we walked away we could hear the attendant calling ahead to let the desk know that we were arriving and what we were wearing so that we could be identified when we approached. However, I'm not sure who he had called because when we stopped at the lobby desk to check in, they had no idea who we were. Needless, they checked us in and told us where to find the casino, restaurant, and other areas of interest.
We were given a room on the 9th floor with a partial view of the lake. The room was very clean and comfortable for the most part. I was a little surprised that although very clean, the room appeared a little dated in its decor. After traveling more frequently lately, we also noticed that the rooms are not set up with charging stations or outlets near the bedside. Overall, we were very pleased with the hotel and will probably be staying there again soon (as my husband is a patient of a Cleveland Clinic doctor).
One item to note- the shopping "mall" that is connected to this hotel is somewhat run down and filled with stores I'd never heard of. It is also very confusing to navigate (as we found out one evening trying to return to the hotel from inside the mall). Security seems to be adequate, but I wouldn't wander around the mall or the surrounding area too much late in the evening.

1 Thank Busymombjh