“Vacation without children ” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Renaissance Cleveland Hotel

Renaissance Cleveland Hotel
Ranked #17 of 38 Hotels in Cleveland
“Vacation without children ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014 via mobile

This is a great hotel. Very close to the baseball stadium and restaurants. The bed is new (they changed all beds within the past two weeks) and very comfortable. The bath products are great. I've never had a hotel give me a soft loofah before. Thanks. One con, the housekeeping didn't clean the coffee cups. Maybe she will tomorrow.

Stayed July 2014
Ami W, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance Cleveland Hotel, responded to this review, August 2, 2014
Hello Mjaj an thank you not only for visiting, but for taking the time to post. We love seeing the glowing five star review and are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your loofa! We're sincerely sorry for the issue with your coffee cups and have passed that comment on to our housekeeping team. Thank you once again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014

My husband and I stayed here on July 25th for a friend's wedding in Solon. We arrived late, around 11:30pm and were extremely exhausted. Walking into the hotel, I was facinated by the ornate detail and the beautiful art-deco style of the space. Sonia, the front desk agent at the desk was INCREDIBLE. She made sure we were extra comfortable for our stay, was friendly, and extremely pleasent to interact with. She took care of every little detail we had questions about. My only regret was that I could not enjoy our beautiful room longer as I had to wake up very early to attend the wedding.

Reading other reviews, I can see how people may think it needs an update but I love that 20's style, art-deco, Great Gatsby, lavish feel of the hotel and think it should be preserved for it's history! Would 100% reccommend to anyone traveling to Cleveland for a weekend getaway!

Room Tip: Our room was absolutely BEAUTIFUL. I couldn't have asked for a better space. It was a corner roo...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hello Mrs. White and thank you not only for visiting, but for taking the time to write. We are thrilled to hear that everything was a success during your visit and we definitely appreciate you mentioning Sonia by name. Please know that your comment has been passed to our general manager for her review. Once again, we thank you for visiting and we hope to see you again soon on your next visit!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2014 via mobile

This hotel has great "bones" and tons of potential, but it desperately needs an update. The lobby carpet, furniture and decor are dated and crying out for a professional interior designer to give it some TLC. Love the ultra-wide hallways - you just don't see these huge halls with tons of millwork anywhere else. We stayed at another historic hotel (Milwaukee Hilton City Center) two nights ago, and I would love to see the Cleveland Rennaisance restored like the Milwaukee Hilton has been. It would be a large investment because this is a huge hotel, but it really needs to be done.

We had a large double full/queen room on the 9th floor....for climate control, the options were either air conditioning or nothing. I was freezing, and looked for a hair dryer to warm up the room but there was NOT one.

We went to the bar for drinks and food. Service was good, and the food was pretty good too.

Stayed July 2014
Ami W, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance Cleveland Hotel, responded to this review, July 27, 2014
Hello Jessica. Thank you for visiting Cleveland and for choosing to stay with us. We very much appreciate you taking the time to offer your feedback on renovations. We have passed all comments directly to our general manager for her review. Please know that should you return in the future, hair dryers are located in the velvet pouch, hanging in all guest room closets. We're very sorry that you were not aware. Once again, thank you for staying and we hope to see you again on your next visit.
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2014

Unfortunately, this grand old dame is more old than grand. She is very old and is showing her age in many areas. The bathroom door in our room was painted so many times, it had lost most of the definition in the paneling. The hallway could have done with some repairs to moldings.
The layout is odd, with the lobby, lounge and restaurant all on the second floor. There is only one restaurant which is pricey.
We were at a convention and this recommended convention hotel is at least 20 minutes walk from the convention center.
The concierge was minimally helpful and unapologetic about lack of assistance. We left our luggage with the bell desk after we checked out and when we went to retrieve it, it took 5 minutes for them to find someone to do it.
A serviceable hotel, but not a place I will return to.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
      Cleanliness
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Hello Karen and thank you not only for choosing to stay with us, but also for taking the time to post about your experience. We sincerely apologize for any and all disappointments while visiting. Our general manager would like the opportunity to speak with your personally about your visit. Should you be interested, please email her at rencleveland@renaissancehotels.com with your contact information. Once again, on behalf of our entire team, we apologize and we look forward to hearing from you.
Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2014

The hotel is beautiful. You will be impressed walking in and around the hotel. The location is good. You can walk (without going outside) to shopping (Tower city center) and other attractions. The hotel room was okay, even good, but the problem was the walls are paper thin. Literally the guy in the next room coughed & you would've thought he was next to us in the room. We were across from the elevator, which was an added annoyance.

I would absolutely have a wedding here. The food is amazing, the hotel beautiful but staying here for a weekend is one night too long.

Room Tip: Away from the elevators.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Hello Happy and thank you not only for visiting, but for taking the time to write your review. We appreciate your kind words on your experience, however we are sincerely sorry for your disappointment with the sound levels within our guest rooms. Please know that we have passed your comments to our general manager for her review. We truly apologize for any inconvenience and we hope that you'll visit again soon. Thank you again.
Ironton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2014

Best place to stay if you are going to gamble at the Casino and leave to go to your room late. The distance from the inside side door to the door of the Hotel is just straight across the front of the mall, and you do not have to walk thru it late at night, which I do not recommend unless you ask Casino Security to go with you!!! A little shady like in the Mall area when all the business are closed. Are parking was comped by the Casino, which is $25 per day, but you are right downtown. To get to the Lobby you do have to climb a couple sets of stairs, but there is an elevator on the side to use if you need it. The room was the smallest of any room I have ever stayed in, it could not have been more than 250 square feet, but was very clean. Bathroom was well lite but small too. Something different about the rooms was the fact the entrance doors were smaller than standard Hotel doors!! All the staff we met were very pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Greetings Dewey and thank you for taking the time to post! We appreciate the wonderful five star review and we're happy to hear that your casino visit was a great success. Thanks again and we hope to see you again soon.
Minneapolis
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2014

The Renaissance is a classic old hotel with a lovely lobby, great showers, and friendly staff. Those are about the only good things I can say for it. My experience there left much to be desired. The room I was in was on the 9th floor and faced the Atrium. The room had two ancient below-the-window air conditioners that had two settings: "Freeze" and "Off." I'm sure the "Warmer/Cooler" dials weren't connected to anything. A strange sign on each of the units explained that these were air conditioners, not heaters, and due to the historic nature of the hotel room, there WAS no heater. To heat the room, the sign explained, simply open the window and let the Atrium heat warm it. (Think about that: a room with a historic nature that had no heat, yet had an air conditioner.) When I attempted to do as the sign said and returned to my room several hours later, all I had was a cold, HUMID room that smelled like chlorine. As a result I kept the air off and the windows shut for the entire 9 days I stayed there. It was stuffy to say the least. The crowning event came on Saturday night. I had to wake at 5:45 a.m. on Sunday to catch a plane, so went to bed at 11. At 11:30 a party broke out in the room adjacent to mine. (The two rooms shared a paper-thin set of doors, used to create one large suite.) At 1:00 a.m. I still hadn't slept a wink, so called the front desk. The phone rang over 30 times with no answer. So I dressed and went down to complain in person. I was told that Security COULD be called, but the smarter choice would be to change rooms. Too tired to argue, I found myself in the elevator at 1:20 a.m. with my suitcases and all my belongings, changing rooms a little over 4 hours before I'd have to get up. Because the hotel was filled with partying groups who had nothing better to do, the fire alarm went off at 2:00 a.m., 2:15 a.m., and 2:30 a.m. At 6:30 the next morning, I found no one at the front desk; I had to get a janitor to find someone for me so I could check out. The Renaissance may be a classic old hotel, but it's not a classic hotel, which usually makes sure guests are comfortable. Apparently the partying individuals were more important to the staff than guests who stay for an extended period of time. If I ever return to Cleveland, the Renaissance is one hotel I'll avoid.

Room Tip: To get a room that actually has heat, find another hotel.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank BigG-28
Ami W, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance Cleveland Hotel, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Hello BigG and thank you for visiting and for taking the time to post. On behalf of our entire team here in Cleveland, we sincerely apologize for the issues you experienced while visiting. Our general manager would very much like the opportunity to speak with you so that she may assist. Should you have the time, please email rencleveland@renaissancehotels.com with your details and contact information. We truly are very sorry and we definitely look forward to hearing from you. Thank you again.