“Beautiful hotel... with a smidge of "bit-too-old"”

Renaissance Cleveland Hotel
Ranked #19 of 38 Hotels in Cleveland
Reviewed September 12, 2013

No doubt that this is a beautiful, classy hotel. It has been renovated. But my room had no electronic thermostat, and I could not figure how to turn the heat on on the old unit. So it got uncomfortably cold in the morning, and I don't like taking a shower in a cold bathroom. But great staff, great location, and very classy building in general.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank florence g
Ami W, Public Relations Manager at Renaissance Cleveland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Hello Florence and thank you for staying with us. We sincerely apologize for any temperature control issues you experienced while visiting. Our beautiful, historic 1918 property is approaching 100 years in age and while we are constantly making updates, some quirks do exist. We are very sorry for the chill in your room and hope that you will visit again for a better experience.

There are newer reviews for Renaissance Cleveland Hotel

Reviewed September 10, 2013

Great location, but room with two double beds was the size of a closet. I had read reviews prior to staying about the variability in room sizes, but I guess I got the short end of the stick. Lobby is beautiful, we spent a lot of time there since the wait to check in was 30 minutes. Bed comfort was average. View was non-existent, a wall, but if you turned your head sideways and looked up, you could see some daylight. The hotel was full, but if they are going to need to use these rooms, they should offer a discount rate. Paid $270 including tax, plus $30/day valet. Marriott is a better choice close by if you need this brand. Complained about the room upon checkout, and not even a "sorry" or excuse by the staff. Never again. Holiday Inn Express would have been better.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not the size of a closet.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Curly8

Curly, thank you for visiting and for taking the time to write. We are sincerely sorry to hear that you were unhappy with your guest room size. Our hotel is extremely unique in that each of our 491 guest rooms is different in size and layout. Once again, we apologize that you were not happy and hope that you will in fact return again.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

I was not a guest, per se, at the Renaissance Cleveland. I attended a convention there in August, 2013. I stayed at the Residence Inn around the corner (see my review on the R.I.) I can't blame the Renaissance for being a lousy convention hotel; I think my organization deserves the blame for picking it. The elevators are SO TINY you can only get 4-5 people in them at once, and that's if they are SMALL people. If someone had luggage - forget it! On the last day I was there, I found the escalator allllll the way in the back of the floor! I don't suppose they could have had a sign for THAT somewhere! My convention was well over 400 people. On the first day, just as we were getting our meeting started, a mouse decided to join us. It didn't bother me; I'm from a rural farm community, but there were a LOT of people scared to death. They ran for the doors and jumped up on their chairs. Funny, but totally disruptive and ridiculous. It delayed our meeting by half an hour!
Many of the people I spoke with who did stay in the rooms at the Renaissance were not happy with them; they said the rooms were very small. I can't speak to that; I did not go to any of the rooms.
I got a drink at the hotel bar: A Cleveland Rocks! Martini. $10. Tasted great. It better have for $10.
The worst thing about this hotel is that there is NO WAY to get to the reception/check in without climbing stairs. If there IS a way, I never found it! No matter what door I went in, I had to climb a flight of stairs to get to the "main" floor so I could take the elevator to our convention hall.
We sat in the comfy lounge chairs in the lobby a few times between meetings. If you stand up and look out the window, you will find it hard to keep your stomach. Outside the windows on all of the ledges is a HUGE amount of pigeon and bird droppings. It's disgusting! Someone needs to get that cleaned up - just inexcusable.
I don't care if I never set foot in this place again. NOT impressed.

Room Tip: The service I received when I ordered my $10 martini was excellent. The hotel is clean, and in a dec...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Steelergal78
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Ideally situated in the downtown core, RCH is a clear landmark of the city. While the rooms and certain areas of the hotel are a little dated, overall I found it to be very clean and comfortable. Really appreciate the Aveda products in room. What really made the difference for me was the staff throughout the hotel: courteous, friendly, helpful and smiling at every turn. For a business traveller there's nothing better to make ones stay a real pleasure.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Marlivorno
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed here on a business trip and the stay was paid for by the people I represented, but was not what I needed...... The staff was great and the lobby was elegant and grand. This is a one hundred year old building in great shape....but showing it's age. I was given a one bedroom room which was undersized....the queen bed took up the width of the room. I had expected a friend to stay with me in the second week, so I requested a double bed room which was great, but lacked room for luggage if my friend had showed up. The air conditioner had only a COOL mode. If I wanted heat, it was not to be had. If the room staff left the air conditioner on after their cleanup, I froze the rest of the night..... but was fine as long as I was under the covers. Most of the time, they did not turn it on, as Cleveland weather was great during my stay. My wireless high speed was covered, and at good service.
The beds were TO DIE FOR........comfortable. I did not use the continental breakfast at their extremely high cost and did not dare try the bar. The casino next door was interesting, but really enjoyed experiencing the Public SQuare offerings in the evening.....music, food trucks, and sort.
Walking in the square miles around the hotel was fantastic and home to most interesting food choices and entertainment.
At their stated prices and friends that I know that had to pay, I would look to other stays, but was please to have stayed there.

Room Tip: Ask for a queen room with two beds.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank MJWSacramento_CA
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Have stayed here for 3 yrs for a business conference. Always fantastic. I have absolutely nothing bad to say! Location is great, No way to be bored. Hotel is attached to Tower City and now also to Horseshoe Casino. You never have to go outside if you dont want to. And sooo many places to eat. Look forward to it year after year. Always the first to sign up for the conference! Great Place!!

Room Tip: Try to get a room overlooking Public Square!!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank LuvBiscuit
Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

Highly recommended if you're planning a first class wedding.
Rooms are clean and well maintained. Grand ballroom dance floor will need a little repair after the 240 guests in my nieces party got done with it. Walking distance to great restaurants and casino.

• Stayed: August 2013