“Only Renaissance from now on!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Renaissance Cleveland Hotel

Renaissance Cleveland Hotel
Ranked #18 of 38 Hotels in Cleveland
Detroit
“Only Renaissance from now on!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

Let me start off by saying I am a platinum member at Marriott Hotels. I LOVE THIS HOTEL. Moving forward I will likely only stay at this brand. The hotel was beautiful. A restored gem. A beautiful enterance. Easy curb side service. Quick and easy check in. Valet was excellent. The rooms are priceless, beautiful wood doors with brass engraved room numbers. A first class hotel. As a platinum member, the red carpet was rolled out, extra towels, fridge, pillows, free breakfast, free valet.... A real class act. I travel a lot and this stay was in the top 3 of my most enjoyable stays. I would stay again without a doubt.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank ebeauc3067

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

We stayed for one night at the Cleveland Renaissance and found the exterior and common areas of the hotel to be lovely. We stayed on the concierge level and our room was quite nice except for the bathroom. The pool was very disappointing, small and very dirty. We were also very unimpressed by the service. The hotel appeared to be very understaffed (we waited over 25 minutes to check in) and several of our requests were not accommodated (e.g., an extra luggage rack for the room). Additionally, several of the staff seemed inconvenienced by the guests. The staff at the restaurant was particularly rude. Perhaps some training is in order.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Frontenac, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

Checkin was great even though there was a large wedding party. Very historic so rooms are small but I enjoyed my stay. They only negative is the casino next door. Lots of people hanging around with little to do. Casinos are often NOT a positive next door neighbor. Rooms/beds are confortable and lobby is magnificent.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Buffalo, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

My girlfriend and I took an overnight trip to Cleveland, and since she did not get a comp from the casino. I used my Marriott Rewards to book a night at the Renaissance connected to the Tower City Center and the casino. I chose to valet the car since we would not need it.

If you are not sure where it is, think of the scene in Christmas Story where they go visit Santa at Higbees. The casino is I'm the Higbees building and the Renaissance is next door, connected through Tower City Center. The lobby was beautiful and had character... very classic with lots of marble, a fountain. Besides the casino and tower city, the location is convenient to the 6th street restaurants and clubs as well all of the stadiums and arenas.

When we checked in, my Gold status allowed us to get upgraded to the club level, and further we got a suite (studio suite, a misnomer). The Gold status also gave us free parking. The only misstep was the front desk attendant was unaware that gold status guarantees late check out. Once that was clarified, there were no issues.

The room was beautiful. When you walk into the room, there main room had a small wet bar w/ fridge, large dining table, and living room with a pull out bed (in case you have extra guests). The bathroom had marble with a combination shower/bath tub (looks similar to the Ritz nearby but smaller & Ritz has separate bath tub and shower). There was also a separate bedroom with a king bed. All the TVs were flat screen (probably LCD). The only issue was the fridge needed to be defrosted. Views from the room were ok, but then, that's not the point.

The lounge on the club level was excellent. The attendants in the lounge were very helpful. The breakfast served in the lounge was excellent. It contained hot foods (bacon, eggs, and oatmeal), fresh fruit, and cereals, and a waffle maker. Food was excellent. The desserts served early in the evening were simple but very nice.

After I checked out, I noticed that I forgot my sunglasses. With my girlfriend, I didn't want to make it a big deal, so we didn't go back that day. The next morning I called to hotel to inquire, and the loss prevention people said nothing was turned in. However, the following day, I received phone call from the hotel. They found the sunglasses, and after confirming they were mine, they sent them back to me. Two days later, I received them. I owe the housekeeping service and loss prevention team a heartfelt thanks! Getting my sunglasses back really made my day!

Overall, when we go back to the Cleveland, especially the casino, I plan to stay there again. I hope the Renaissance keeps up the level of service & quality that they should us. Thanks!

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

We were here for a long weekend vacation & decided to stay downtown. The hotel is very majestic and has been maintained to a top standard. Elegant yet modern furnishings were in the room and for an older hotel was very spacious. Our 16th floor room overlooked Public Square which was nice, however the windows do let in a lot of the sounds from the music that was playing, but it didn't run too late. Very close to the Horseshoe Casino, R&R HoF, The Q Arena & Progressive Field for the excitement. However not a lot of things going on throughout the downtown, but enough. The pool is very nice, set in the middle of the hotel - only problem is that it is max of 4 feet deep, but refreshing. Parking is safe with valet or self, I'd recommend self unless you have a big car, the turns are tight & so are the spots, but you save a few bucks if you do it yourself. I would most definitely stay here again, the staff were superb, the facilities top notch & always nice to stay somewhere where it has been restored to its early glory days! Well done Renaissance Cleveland!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Alan N
Theona S, General Manager at Renaissance Cleveland Hotel, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
Dear Mr Alan,

Thank you so much for taking the time to rate us on TripAdvisor. I appreciate your feedback. We take great pride in our historic hotel and it is nice to get comments about all of the work we have done.

We hope to see you again soon!!
Fort Collins, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

This is a gorgeous old hotel, but it's a historic property--so best for business and date nights. If you're traveling on the company dime, this is the place to stay! Otherwise, you can start to feel a bit "nickel and dimed," because there's no free Wifi or parking, and there's even a charge to log on in the business center. On the plus side, the restaurant was excellent and the room was clean and comfortable, with a great view of downtown and the public square. The bathroom products were Aveda. The staff, at every step, was great and very friendly. This may not be the place to stay if you're traveling with a lot of kids and luggage because parking in the garage is pricey and it's not easy to run back and forth from the hotel to the garage. But for a romantic weekend or business travel, this would be a fantastic choice. (BTW, according to the staff, this is the oldest building in downtown Cleveland. Some of the interior details--like the fountain by the restaurant--are truly gorgeous.)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank favaunt
Theona S, General Manager at Renaissance Cleveland Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear Favaunt,

Thank you so much for taking the time to rate us on Tripadvisor, I appreciate your feedback. I am glad that you enjoyed yourself and my staff took great care of you. I apologize that you were not aware that we do have free wifi in the public areas so maybe next time you can take advantage of that.

We continue to improve our wonderful historic hotel and I do appreciate all of your comments.

Have a great day!!
Windsor, Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

We stayed here for one night in June, 2013 and had a great experience. The valet was seamless and the common areas are all beautiful. There was a rehearsal dinner group gathering in the lobby and we were still able to check-in quickly. We had read the reviews and expected the "smallness" of both the elevator and bathroom. And they are certainly small! It was not an issue for us though. The room was very nice and the bed very comfortable. All of the downtown attractions, restaurants and stadiums were within walking distance. I would stay there on our next visit to Cleveland.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank peaches2004
Dear Peaches2004,

Thank you so much for taking the time to rate us on Tripadvisor. I appreciate all of your comments. We are a historic biulding in Cleveland and our location is perfect for exploring all that there is to do in the downtown area.

We look forward to seeing you again soon!!