Renaissance Cleveland Hotel
  • Pool
  • Pool
  • Room Service
1,237 results
All reviewspublic squaresans soucisan soucilobby bartower city centerbeautiful lobbybeautiful hotelan older hotelthe concierge loungeupgraded to a suiterock and roll hallparking garage isindoor poolbed was very comfortableclub levelold buildingself park
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Stayed one night on the way to visit family in PA. First impression was that the Renaissance Cleveland was an elegant grand older hotel right downtown. Nicely located next to the mall and the new Horseshoe Casino. Parking was a pricey $24 per night in a very tight and awkward parking deck attached to the hotel. It was a long walk from the parking deck elevator to the front door, especially traveling with my senior Mother, whom has issues with walking distances. I guess I could have valeted the car, but then it would have cost us $30 to park our car for just the night! Doorman and front desk employees were friendly enough. Booked a room for $70 via the Horseshoe Casino website. The hotel has a business center...but you have to use your credit card to access their computers. Our room was on the 5th floor...2 okay double beds, room was very small, no fridge or microwave, only one chair, no control over room temp...way too hot and our view was of a pebble roof, scattered with beer cans and other garbage! Also, in their brochure that was in the room it stated that "Club Lounge featuring upgraded amenities and complimentary continental breakfast". A quick call to the front desk to acquire about breakfast, I was told that the complimentary breakfast was for only those staying on the club level. Seems to me that the brochure is a bit misleading. I know that the hotel was not very full on the Sunday night we stayed...maybe we got a less desirable room because we booked the room a cheaper casino rate! Finally, after checking out around 9:30 a.m., I wanted to take a few pictures in the lobby of the historic grand decor. The architecture within the lobbies were quite a site! They just don't build hotels like this no more! After snapping one picture I was stopped by hotel security and was told I could not take pictures within the hotel unless I had someone in the picture. I did not know this policy for it was not posted anywhere and I felt like I was scolded like a little child. The funny thing is that I get up early and when I went down to the lobby area at 6 a.m. there was no security to be found then....I guess I should have taken my camera then to get some shots of the fountains and chandeliers when no was around except one lady at the front desk. When questioned why pictures could not be taken of the hotel decor, the head of loss prevention informed my Mother that it was for Homeland Security reasons. Really!?!?!?! So taking a picture of the fountain, chandeliers, drapery, grand staircase and ceiling simply because of an appreciation of classic decor is a no no!
We thought about giving this hotel another try on our trip back through Cleveland, mostly because its location and access to the casino. I checked the rates and the prices went up to $249 for a Thursday evening. Chose not to stay at Renaissance Cleveland on our way home due to my feelings after our stay on Sunday night and the outrageous price jump!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 23, 2012 via mobile

Location
It's in a central square of downtown that is within walking distance for almost anything you would want to do. The great restaurants are maybe 6-10 blocks which is a nice stroll if the weather is right.

Entrance
Bellmen and doormen are on the spot and friendly. If you want to carry your own bags they happily give you directions to the lift (lobby is one floor up). They also give directions and getting a cab is a breeze. Some of the best doormen I've seen in any hotel.

Check In
It's quick and painless. They have several people and can handle a crowd.

Room
Be sure to plan in advance for the view. The internal or courtyard view is bland but it is quiet. The street views - especially the square - are fantastic but expect city sounds. Rooms are clean and tidy. They have Aveda toiletries. Shower was strong but not the best ever. TV was flat screen and had regular cable channels. Rooms were large. They were updated but classic looking. Maid service was excellent.

Food was good. Service was oustanding. Warning -- they only serve Pepsi. But I asked for a Coke and the waitress miraculously found one. Of course, then everyone wanted one. They really should upgrade to Coke products.

Lobby
Huge open lobby with meeting spaces and bar. It's like returning to the golden era.

Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank angmohgao
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a wedding this past weekend. After being told by several people how nice and fancy this hotel was, I was pretty disappointed....

For how expensive the garage is, and considering there are only 3 levels, I don't think it's fair for them to block half of it off to paint the cement over a weekend. Why not during the week? (Side note to drivers: no one in the garage parks squarely in their space, so prepared to be frustrated).

Next - the room was tiny. No overhead lights made it really hard to get ready for the wedding in the evening, too. Also, no fan in the bathroom, so ladies - embrace the frizz after your shower.

My biggest complaint: absolutely, hands-down, the noisiest hotel stay ever. The people in the room connected to ours were not shy about making any kind of noises, and woke us up several times during the night. We could hear EVERYTHING - we even heard them sneeze. Also, hotel staff had to come up and clear people out of the hallway at 2am because they were so loud.

The elevators are slow, the doors/walls are apparently paper-thin, the heat was set to an irrationally high level, considering it was in the 60s during the day, and I would never pay the normal rate to stay somewhere like this again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not connected to another room, and is not near the elevator. Or, don't stay here. Sorry.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Hadn't been back to this hotel since its glory days 50 years ago. Wow. Even better today. Elegant. Stylish. Luxurious. Impeccable service. Marvelous dining room, modestly priced. Gorgeous indoor swimming pool and decently equipped exercise room (although we didn't use them). Perfect location for just about everything. Located next to large, indoor mall and gambling casino (didn't use that, either). Best thing: Inexpensive subway in the hotel complex to many parts of town and airport (cost me and wife $1 each as seniors from airport terminal to hotel lobby!)(also $1 each to far Eastern suburb to meet friends). We have stayed at other hotels in the area but this is the right choice for those who love great hotels.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the Public Square.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank exprof
Reviewed October 17, 2012

No in-room fridge or microwave so we brought our own rather than pay the ridiculous nightly fee. Same thing with internet. I brought my own hotspot. If it weren't for the fact that I was at a conference, I wouldn't have stayed here. The a/c/heating unit was impossible to adjust as it looked like it was from the 50's. We regulated the temp by closing and opening the windows. The pool was a joke for such a high end hotel. The only good thing was the service and the location.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business