“Great Price - Beautiful Majestic hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free for breakfast?
Ranked #16 of 38 Hotels in Cleveland
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Great Price - Beautiful Majestic hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011

My fiance and I traveled via the Megabus on its new route from Pittsburgh for Memorial Day Weekend. We choose Cleveland for the close distance, and loved the hotel. It is old, but beautiful. It is old in a great way - classy.

Everything was clean, everyone was friendly, and we got a great rate. True no flatscreen tv, but we never turned it on anyways.

We really enjoyed never having to leave the "building" to go shopping, dinner at Hard Rock Cafe, and even saw a movie. Feeling safe the entire time.

I just hope that when the hotel does renovate they dont take away too much of its majestic style. Some things get better with age.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank PIttsburghTraveler02

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

I saw the feedback for this hotel and I was very nervous. The reservations were booked through my Marriott Reward Points, so we just went with it. The hotel itself is beautiful if you like old architecture and a sense of history. We were upgraded to a deluxe suite which was really awesome, the suite was huge. The furniture was showing it's age but the room itself was clean and odor free. The staff at the hotel were all very nice and attentive. The garage which was a source of many complaints, was all that was written about it. However, most garages in a city are not that great, so I wasn't really put off by that. The parking was plentiful. Now my pain point, which I'm sure is one for the hotel too....Public Square. I kept reading that "shady" people were outside the hotel in reviews...I couldn't figure out why. Then I saw Public Square. The atmosphere of this area was not the safest I've ever felt. It is actually a bus station that sits right outside of their one line subway. So it's a central point for buses. We generally just walked around the square to avoid some of the people that spent a good deal of time there. I can see where it would affect the hotel though...I didn't like it very much, however no one really bothered us. We just didn't walk the streets much once it got late. Overall though, the hotel was very nice and convenient for our trip.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JennyAD
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2011

Stayed here for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame "Women Who Rock" charity event. We are frequent travelers to Cleveland and have stayed here before. We booked a package that included "parking" and breakfast. We assumed parking meant valet.....it did not. The desk clerk explained to us that it was for the self parking and offered to go and get our car. Really? They ended up refunding us and we paid the difference for the valet parking. It's been a few years since we've stayed here and expected the rooms to be upgraded. Not so much. The wallpaper is tired looking as are the carpets. The TV is a 90's version and the bathroom is way overdue for some modern touches. A Jacuzzi would be nice! For the price you pay for this hotel, they really need to listen to the customers when we ask for the rooms to be upgraded a bit. The hotel itself is lovely, and the art deco, and brass is just breathtaking. Along with the lovely lounge area near the bar with the fountain! We did encounter some ppl in the lounge that obviously didn't belong there and were not guests in the hotel. It seems a blind eye is given to them perhaps? Even a man sleeping in the lounge that looked like a weary traveler, but not a guest of the hotel. Went to the pool area which is so pretty. A Sauna and a hot tub need to be added. The pool was cold so we didn't try it. The beds and bedding are soft and wonderful, had a nice nights sleep! Had breakfast buffet the next day, average fare. The staff was a bit under trained as we had to try to figure out the system and then we thought the waitress was going to sit down with us! A bit over-bearing. Will we stay here again, yes........if the upgrades are made. Although this is such a convenient location, there are just too many choices in that area to not be picky.

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank Zeppland
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2011

I can honestly say I was excited to stay at this hotel. I started to get a little less enthusiastic after surviving the task of parking in the horrific parking garage. Tiny parking spaces, leaking ceilings and peeling paint did not give a first impression of this supposedly great hotel.

The lobby and front desk area were quite nice, however, when my teenaged son and I walked into our room it was very hot and stuffy. The radiators AKA heaters/A/C units were not in good repair and worked poorly. We decided to open the windows, and felt fine in doing so since we were on an upper floor. The room was a good size but the TV was very old and outdated and the furniture seemed a bit cheap. (tv armoire was one of the ones sold in a box one assembles--super cheap junk)

The attached Mall made me EXTREMELY nervous (I'm not from a small town either). The people hanging out in the front of the mall were questionable at best. I did notice a good police presence, however I had NO desire to shop there whatsoever. Actually, I wanted to get out of there ASAP. The only place I felt safe in the Mall was at the Hard Rock Cafe.

The breakfast buffet at the hotel's restaurant was good, and the staff there was very friendly.
Sadly, I feel everything is way overpriced in order to keep out the riff raff that hang out in the area.
If you are looking for modern, high tech and let's face it....new...then this hotel is not going to work. I had reserved two nights, but only stayed one. It wasn't for me and I won't return.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank fkahn
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2011

i stayed in this hotel several years ago and its exactly the same. The staff is exceptional however the rooms need an update. The exercise room is very nice and the room service was good also. i was just a bit disppointed with teh decor.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Bridget101
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2011

Right across from the city square and train from airport basically drops you at the front door. It was the first major hotel in the city and once had a 1000 rooms, which over the years was changed to approximately 500 rooms that were made bigger. You can see the door molding in the hallway from the room thresholds that were closed off. I personally love the old charm elegance of these hotels and this was no exception. I agree with an earlier comment, don't confuse antique with old and outdated. Friendly staff , clean rooms, comfortable bed, great restraunts, close to sport complex, pub row, and later this year there is a casino that will be taking over space of an adjacent office complex. Hotels from this era are not going to have gigantic bathrooms and look and be decorated in a modern motiff like a new Marrioitt. High end conference and ballroom facilities.First time to Cleveland so don't have any other hotels to compare to, but I always do the wife test at the end of my stay......would my wife enjoy staying here if I brought her to Cleveland? That would be yes.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
columbus
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2011

We stay here several times a year and the service is always excellent. Convenient for sporting events or Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The rooms are very nice and clean. Beautiful old hotel. Request an outside room so you don't overlook the pool and have the noise. The staff will help you with whatever you need. Fabulous bar with great bartenders!

Room Tip: Request an outside room. Great suites also