“Should have stayed at the Marriott”

Hyatt Regency Cleveland at The Arcade
Ranked #16 of 38 Hotels in Cleveland
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 15, 2012

I come to Cleveland every year for the Annual "Drum Fantasy Camp" which is held at the Hyatt so it makes sense to stay there. Every year I get a bad room usually near an elevator or next to a large AC compressor. Usually I get a deal on the room because I get a package deal. This year I decided to pay the rack rate in hopes that I would get a better room. I did get a quieter room facing the front of the hotel, but this was a smoking room that probably has never been renovated. The room stinks badly, the carpet sucks, and the wallpaper is in bad shape. The beds where not too bad. I got nothing I asked for- i.e... High floor, king bed.
When I asked the person at the front desk if they could change the room all I got was a well-rehearsed routine stating, "The hotel is full" "were sorry". Sorry. I paid $250 a night for a room that I would expect at Motel 6. All I can do is post my review here, tell all of my friends and never stay at any Hyatt around the country. They all must be like this. Also next year I'll just stay at the Marriott. I've stayed there before and their standards seem to be higher to the point you actually feel you’re getting what you’re paying for. If you’re reading this and think it’s harsh, read a few more reviews and book yourself a room. Enjoy.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else..
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank James H
Write a ReviewReviews (1,656)

Reviewed August 7, 2012

The good: The Cleveland Arcade is a beautiful historic building. The location of the hotel is perfect - close to all kinds of restaurants and bars on 4th Street, easy walking distance to the casino and Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Our room was spacious, clean and the beds were comfortable.

The bad: When we checked in, the room we were initially given keys for was already occupied. No one was actually in the room at the time but the bathroom was full of someone else's cosmetics and there were clothes, bags and shoes in the room. I had to go back to the front desk to get keys to a new room but this was obviously disturbing. If we were given keys for a room already occupied by someone else, it stands to reason strangers could be given keys to our room. Makes you think twice about what you leave in your room unattended.

I was also unimpressed with the hotel's wireless. It costs $10 a day and during my stay, the access site wasn't working so I had to call a support desk, be put on hold and wait (and wait and wait) to get an access code. It's inconvenient and considering you have to pay for wireless, they could at least make signing on easy.

The noisy: On Saturday night, there was very loud yelling and shrieking and singing on our floor, all after 10pm. I understand the hotel can't be held responsible for noisy guests. However, I called the front desk twice to request that security be sent up to address the situation. After two calls, the noise still continued. That suggests more effective security is required - I shouldn't have to make more than one call to get some peace and quiet.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank Sandra O
Reviewed August 1, 2012

My husband & I booked a room for a night on the town to celebrate our anniversary & the Hyatt seemed like the perfect central location! Granted our stay was for only one night but in that entire time I saw a total of 2 employees, the gentleman who parked our car & the check-in clerk! I could understand if we were there during a January blizzard but it was a Sat night in the middle of summer! That coupled with the deserted & closed up Arcade just outside our door, the whole ambiance was just a little creepy!

Our room was clean but nothing to write home about! Everything was in working order and the bed was perfectly comfortable! There is no atrium when you enter the building & you actually have to go up to the 2nd floor to check in! The hotel just lacks that warm & welcoming charm that you would expect when staying in the middle of an exciting city! So if you're looking for privacy, this is the place and you can't beat the location for Cleveland's nightlife! Just don't expect the red carpet to be rolled out for you!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WendySzo
Reviewed July 26, 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Hyatt at the Arcade in Cleveland. Just steps outside the door, 4th street offers many charming restaurants with outdoor dining - a great place to people-watch day or night. For those who enjoy a bit of a walk, the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame is less than a 30 minute trek, but plenty of parking is available if you drive. Had a wonderful breakfast at the hotel's 1890 Restaurant - a little on the pricey side, but great food and service. Hotel staff was exceptionally pleasant.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I love what they have done with the Arcade; I'm from Cleveland but now live in Kentucky. When I visit I love stay here. I try to get a room facing the house of blues but if you want a little peace ask for a room off the arcade with a good city view. Beds are comfortable, food is average but the location is great. I love Cleveland, I've always like the Arcade and the variety of shops. This is not a Five star hotel but it is one of the best downtown Cleveland.

The valets staff Service is scary ... Depends on shift I think. I saw one staffer driving a guest car reckless, I said told the other valet he was not to drive my car. Late at night, your on your own especially if no one is on there post. I stayed there in November and I waited for a few minutes, parked my car in front of the hotel took my keys upstairs to the desk and he parked my car for.

The front desk staff are friendly & very helpful. I have no issues ever and i have stayed here several times in the last 12 months. The rooms located on the arcade are nice but it can be a little noisy if there is a reception going on, which does not really last all night and but it's still great hotel with a good experience.

Overall its a great hotel in a great location! The valet staff is not all unprofessional as a few.
I would say recommend this hotel it's a great hotel in a great location.

Room Tip: I like the view of the house of blues off the arcade.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
HRCleveland, Manager at Hyatt Regency Cleveland at The Arcade, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2012

olskooldiva,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Tripadvisor. We’re glad to hear that enjoyed your stay, but disappointed that your experience with our valet service was outside of our normal service. We have shared your feedback with our valet company and look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed July 15, 2012

We stayed at the hotel for one night, we booked our room thru Hotwire (not knowing exactly where we would end up at the time of booking) and paid 85 EUR for our room. This review is based partly on the price we paid, the normal rates are probably much higher so it is up to you to decide if the stay is worth the cost.

First of all, the location is pretty much perfect. All the major downtown attractions are a short walk away and the hotel itself is situated in a beautiful, historic, newly renovated building (actually one of the first arcades in the US!). The rooms were in immaculate condition, very spacious, comfortable beds, large lcd tv and so forth.

However, as is often the case with the more upscale hotels, all the normal extras you would expect to be included in the room price (especially when these are normally included even in motels) weren't. For example, wifi is available but only for an extra cost. There were water bottles (that are often complimentary) in the room, but the Hyatt had priced these at $4. Breakfast not included as well, but this pretty standard in most US hotels.

The service at the front desk was attentive. The hotel offers valet parking for $22 per day (with in/out privileges), you can also self-park next door (without the in/out privileges according to the staff) for $20.

So, the evaluation of this hotel depends completely on how much you pay for your stay (and how much that affects your overall budget). With the price we paid, the value was very good considering the excellent location and the overall level of the hotel and the room. Nothing spectacular, but very good.

However, as the normal rate is much higher than this (up to 2-3 times the price we paid), I would expect something more. And having to pay separately for every little thing that is pretty much standard nowadays is a (minor) turn-off.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank vlouhimies
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Beautiful historic building. Comfortable updated rooms. Very friendly and helpful staff. Easy walk to the entertainment district or to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Recommended!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family