“Disappointing third stay”

Hyatt Regency Cleveland at The Arcade
Ranked #16 of 38 Hotels in Cleveland
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 10, 2011

I recently stayed for three nights at the Hyatt Regency Cleveland Arcade, travelling for business. I’ve stayed seven nights over two previous visits, so I knew what to expect. Well, at least I thought I did.

My two previous visits had been up in the tower. The tower is easily accessible by elevator from the main lobby and featured somewhat spacious modern rooms with several amenities. The views from the tower are nice and a relaxing way to unwind at the end of a busy day.

With this visit, I was placed in the last king bed available, an arcade level room. I was not nearly as pleased with the room. There is no view to speak of, as there is a brick wall immediately outside the smallish window. The arcade itself is supposed to provide the view, yet the arcade had people walking in front of your room constantly. I felt as if I were on display at all times unless I pulled the curtains shut. Perhaps installing one-way glass would help. Thus, the only natural light was through the small window looking at the brick wall.

That was fine until it was time to sleep. The blackout curtains used for the arcade windows did not adequately cover the sides. Thus, there was plenty of light from the arcade streaming in the edges at all hours of the night. Perhaps pinning the curtains to the edges would help control this issue.

The room also seemed smaller than any other Hyatt room that I’ve ever visited. There was only one chair available to sit in—the chair at the desk. Thus, I could relax either at the desk, or on my bed. That was a little frustrating.

The in-room safe was locked when I arrived. When I asked the front desk about it the next morning, they sent someone to fix it. The hotel’s response was adequate, but I would have hoped that the housekeeping staff would have noticed the problem when cleaning up after the previous guest.

I know from previous experience that noise on the arcade level could be a problem, especially during events. I didn’t experience noise issues during this visit, but would recommend that other guests inquire about special events when making reservations for Friday or Saturday nights.

I would like to point out that the hotel staff was excellent. When someone at the front desk asked me how my stay was, I mentioned that I wasn’t as happy about the arcade level king as some of the other rooms. They immediately looked to see what other rooms were available for me. They did not have another king that suited me, but I definitely appreciate their efforts.

I think the staff has a difficult situation in front of them, and I commend them for their efforts. The arcade level rooms are historic, but are fraught with problems from the view, to the noise, to the lighting, to the room size. There aren’t enough rooms in the rest of the hotel to accommodate guests who complain about those issues.

I’m sure I will stay at this Hyatt again, because I know that when it works, it works well. Nevertheless, I can empathize with all of the guests who are stuck in the arcade level rooms…

I know that the Hyatt management reads these posts, but I'm interested in what kind of real changes they are planning to implement to solve these issues with the rooms on the Arcade.

Room Tip: Avoid the arcade level rooms (first four floors) at all costs, especially on the weekends when there...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank clarkbhm
HyattCleveland, Director of Sales at Hyatt Regency Cleveland at The Arcade, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2011

Greetings CLARKBHM,

Thank you for your feedback. We truly appreciate it as it allows us the opportunity to enhance our overall guest experience. We sincerely apologize you did not find the Arcade room you stayed in to your satisfaction. Thank you for sharing your perspective on the shortcomings of Arcade level rooms. We will be sure to do our best to accomodate your request for a Tower room on your next visit to our Hotel. Thank you for your business - we appreciate it and look forward to serving you in the future.

Reviewed September 23, 2011

Stayed here back in 2009, as my boyfriend does Bodybuilding shows at the convention center. Stayed here for 3 days it was neither impressive nor disappointing as I literally just slept there at night and got up and left in the morning. Decided to come back here this year Aug 29 to 31st for the first half of our stay in cleveland....as I liked the layout of the hotel, the architecture of the building was aesthetically appealing.

Their rates were significantly less than the Renaissance which was the host hotel for his show. (where we stayed the rest of the time) I regretted saving the 100.00 a day to stay here instead of the Renaissance.

I'm an extreme planner, booked this months in advance, under my boyfriends name since he arrived a few hours before me. When I got there, I promptly went to front desk, switched the room card charges to my credit card and had my name added on to the register.

First issues was housekeeping took forever, requested the service as we saw the cart making the rounds....called to let them know the room would be vacant for them to clean.... left for a couple hours for breakfast and errands, upon return room still not clean, which was understandable.... saw the cart 2 rooms away... and so figured sometime soon, upon returning the keys did not work.... if you see the layout of this hotel, its quite a walk if you get a room not close to the front desk if you get one clear across the other side of the hotel. So hiked back and got the keys fixed, said it might have been demagnetized, acceptable it happens.

We left once more to use the gym facility which was adequate, a good facility with a nice mix of necessary equipment if you want to make sure to not miss your workout's while on vacation.

Then went to lobby to take advantage of wireless internet service, which I was informed by the front desk receptionist that I did not need a passcode for..... couldnt log on, instead of waiting in line for their front desk which had a line, I just used their "business center" which is a small "size of a walk in closet cut-out" beside the front desk.... internet was deathly slow.

Went back up to room and once again both keys not working! Strike two. Got the keys redone, hiked back up to room to find the room still not cleaned! 5 hours after our request for service was made. And the cart was found 5 rooms past ours. Understandly check-out rooms would be given priority, but a hotel of this size, you would think, might have a better system to accommodate active guests as well as to crank out new rooms for new guests. This late housekeeping and barely cleaned rooms happened all 3 days of the stay.

Following day, issues once more with keys not working twice, must be cheapo cards? bad reader system? untrained front desk who are not programming it for the right number of guest stay? I'm not sure, but it was not funny and started to not be acceptable.

Tried the free wireless internet in lobby once again day 3, to which I then found out that I do need a passcode after all. Went back up to room again and keys refused to work. Went back down to front desk and the receptionist was feeling quite a bit diligent this time around with her duties, since I showed some annoyance with continued key issue, she decides to ask for registered guest name, which I provided mine, since I had changed it on the first day. (same agent who is now asking me for my name) She then pronmptly informs me that I am not a registered guest and she cannot give me a key! I have been at this lobby for the past 3 days, I am the payor for my room. I show my ID and I show my credit card, I happened to have the printed out receipt which I just asked for an hour before ,which they gave me without identification! I showed her the receipt which had my credit card number which matched the numbers on my credit card which had my name on it, she became adamant that since my name is not on the room, she cant give me a key until I ask the registered guests name to come down and meet me!!!!! And refused to look at my receipt and matching card!

Unbelievable!!!! Couldnt get a hold of my boyfriend which really, I did not want to as I did not feel that this is necessary because I have done my part to make sure that I am a registered guest aside from the fact that I am paying for the room. Finally a manager emerges, after the situation is explained, she pulls the reservation up and says thats fine, I can have a key, she can see my name is on there...... My name was there, I was registered, and so why was I given a hard time and refused assistance with their keys that kept repeatedly refusing to work???? The worst part is, after this extreme,inconvenience and embarrassing situation, since people could hear in the lobby this front desk agent telling me I'm not registered, NO APOLOGY was extended or offered, NO ACKNOWLEDGEMENT of their mistake and incompetence. It did not even occur to the manager, to apologize on behalf of their staff or give me an explanation.... after I mentioned this, the front desk agent then says, "sorry" begrudgingly I might add...... as if patronizing me. And the manager just looked on. Wow, they classify the hotel industry as the "hospitality industry" for a reason..... I guess this is something HYATT does not seem a need to train their employees with.

I've never had such worse service, I've had bad service, but never in such a fashion of incompetence without so much as batting an eyelash for the inconvenience made to a paying customer.

Long story short, you would receive better service buying a 2 dollar hotdog at a sidewalk stand. I've stayed at Hyatt's before in Seattle and New York, have always thought for a mid branch chain, their service has carried on their older classical reputation of being a world class hotel, but their big name is decades gone and the service at this cleveland location shows it! Even now recalling it, is horrific, and has left a permanent bad taste for HYATT period.

Spend the extra dollars to stay at the rennaissance, the rooms are more dated compared to but still worth it anyway... only a block away, just as big but with a better hold of their staff and system, apparently more adequately equipped to handle the bigger amount of business, as the host hotel of a big national bodybuilding show, a pharmacy convention and a wedding all in one week they provided attentive service despite their busy load. (check out my review for them) Worth the extra dollars.. or save your dollars totally and stay next door at the holiday inn, where it may not have the grandeur but will make up with humble service for the $.

Or stay here for the room itself which was clean and adequate, if you think you wont be needing any help at all during your stay.

Room Tip: For those staying in cleveland to go out and about everyday, on a sightseeing or vacation type trip...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank avableu
HyattCleveland, Director of Sales at Hyatt Regency Cleveland at The Arcade, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2011

Thank you for your feedback. We really appreciate it as it allows us the opportunity to improve and enhance our overall guest experience. We sincerely apologize for the number of challenges you encountered during your stay. Based on your review, we have identified a number of missed opportunities and will work diligently with our staff to ensure future excellence in providing customer service.

Reviewed September 18, 2011

A friend and I stayed at the Hyatt Regency for two nights when we attended a wedding in Cleveland. The historic building is beautiful, and the rooms are comfortable, clean, and met my expectations. But where I was particularly impressed was in the area of customer service from the hotel staff. The custodial staff assigned to our area remembered us after our first meeting and greeted us in the hallway. The front desk staff was quick to offer assistance and make our stay comfortable. After checking out, we were waiting in the lobby before leaving for the airport and Rachel the desk attendant offered us complimentary soft drinks while we waited. It was touches like these that made our stay at this hotel memorable and enjoyable.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Daniel G
HyattCleveland, Director of Sales at Hyatt Regency Cleveland at The Arcade, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2011

Thank you for your feedback. We trully appreciate your comments as it allows us to enhance our overall customer experience. Thank you for your comments as it relates to customer service and Rachel at the front desk. We will be sure to recognize her for the efforts in making your stay memorable. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to being of service to you on your next visit to Cleveland.

Reviewed September 18, 2011

The location was good. We enjoyed the beautiful old Arcade and East 4th St. The young people at the front desk were kind and polite. But it seems that the management and oversight is quite poor. The biggest problem was that from three a.m. to 4:30 a.m. we heard hammering, sawing and drilling directly below our room. The hotel was not full, and I had paid in advance for a more luxurious room, the arcade view double. I also specifically asked for a quiet room. We found out at 3 am that we were directly above the kitchen where a crew were building shelves overnight. The front desk person asked if we wanted to change rooms at 3 a.m.--not possible. We had to be up at 7 for business that involved decision-making and we needed to get back to sleep ASAP. The person at the desk said he would go to the kitchen at tell them to stop work---he called to say they were "almost done." They were not almost done, they were just getting started! We called again and my husband, when asked, :How are you?" answered, "Not well." The noise finally stopped shortly after that. We complained on checkout and received another big smile and "I'm so sorry." The other problems were: the room was grimey---the uphostery on the arms of the furniture was worn and gray. There was dried gum on the floor. In the morning, I discovered a dirt residue in the bathtub. The remote for the television did not work properly.My keycard for the room did not work and I returned to have it reactivated by the desk and it still did not work. And, can you beleive that at the price we were paying, we had to "call the desk" for a coffee maker and cups. On our way out the next day the front desk apologized and we didn't have time to hunt down the manager. But,it was a waste of money. My husband goes to Cleveland twice a year on business and he won't be back.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank PickyPrincess58

Thank you for your feedback as it allows us the opportunity to improve our guest experience. We sincerely apologize for the problems you encountered during your stay. Please be assured we will address the issues you have brought to our attention.

Reviewed September 15, 2011

This hotel was centrally located to almost every activity we did (except the zoo--for that we took public transportation which was a bit of a wait but fine). It's a neat building, architecturally. The room was quite spacious with high ceilings (plenty of room to do exercises in the morning without feeling smooshed or squeezed in). There is the Chocolate Bar right next to the hotel. We went there the first and last nights of our stay--quite decedently chocolatey and delishy!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
HyattCleveland, Director of Sales at Hyatt Regency Cleveland at The Arcade, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2011

Thank you for your feedback. We greatly appreciate it as it allows us the opportunity to enhance our overall guest experience. We are glad to hear you enjoyed our guestrooms and the location of the Hotel. It was our pleasure to host you. We look forward to serving you on your next visit to Cleveland.

Reviewed September 12, 2011

The location was fantastic and the staff were outstanding. They were so helpful, even cooked me lunch even after their had closed their lunch service.

Everything was great except the bed was not as comfortable as i was hoping for the type of hotel.

The Cleveland Browns even stay there. Overall is was a beautiful hotel and excellent location. Stubhub even had tables there on gameday.

• Stayed: September 2011
HyattCleveland, Director of Sales at Hyatt Regency Cleveland at The Arcade, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2011

Thank you for your feedback. We look forward to serving you on your next visit to Cleveland.

Reviewed September 12, 2011

The lobby is lacking but the rooms and the Arcade Venue is lovely. Roon are modern and very comfortable. Lack of parking options is a problem - only option is $22 per day valet parking which if fine but gets SLOW when they are busy. The Arcade is a turn of the century Gem that is part of the Cleveland City renisance.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family