“A Great Hotel in Cleveland!” 5 of 5 stars

Cleveland Marriott Downtown at Key Center
Ranked #4 of 38 Hotels in Cleveland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Warren, PA
“A Great Hotel in Cleveland!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

We stayed at the Cleveland Marriott at Key Center for 3 days and found it to be an excellent hotel. We have stayed at the Renaissance several times, but my conference (with the Cleveland Clinic) was being held across the street from the Marriott at the Global Center for Health Innovation. Very modern but with comfortable touches like a really comfortable chair by the window. Since the building is tall and narrow, there are lots of corner rooms--so we had 2 full walls of windows and could see Public Square as well the lake. My wife appreciated all the light, since she was in the room a lot more than I was. The arrangement of the room space was unusual (to fit the corner) but not disturbing.
The concierge (Dick Miller) was fantastic! He found the perfect restaurant for one meal (Pura Vida, on the main square near the Tower complex) and helped us with our visit to the Art Museum (great café), Little Italy, and the symphony at Severance Hall (they have a restaurant there!). We had one supper at the hotel bar which was lackluster, but the menu for their regular restaurant looked more interesting.
The front desk staff was very friendly--and everyone was in a good mood after the NFL Draft!

Room Tip: Corner room was great! (Not at suite prices.)
2 Thank BluegrassGuy06

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
Belle Chasse, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

I stayed for 4 nights for business and would absolutely repeat again! The checkin was smooth and painless and I was up to my room. Although they had no kings, I accepted 2 doubles and was not disappointed. There was even enough room for a chair for lounging in the corner. The work space was pretty standard and functional. Everyone was exceptionally nice and courteous even as I was coming and going throughout the day.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014 via mobile

Top notch customer service! They noted my preferences in my profile-room fantastic! I wish other Marriotts would be up to this standard! Special call out to Skip who came to fix my tv ( ended up being operator error- in my defense too many buttons in the remote)- he was professional and a great representative.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank 147Adventure
Vail, AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

I had a conference at this hotel and the location permitted me to avoid renting a car, since it is so close to the Terminal Tower RTA station. The downtown mall also features shopping and food options (although the food court closes early on week nights). A diagonal walk across two parks got me to the hotel, although if you are trailing luggage you will want to stay on the sidewalk and avoid the diagonal since there are steps that way.

The hotel itself was efficient and clean. The elevators are at the back which forces you to go past everybody waiting and registering in the lobby several times a day. However, it was always clean if not crowded.

The room was spacious although it was not arranged particularly well. I had a "rounded corner" room, as did several of my colleagues. Entry was through a door that had an entryway that curved to allow the door to open, and you had to open the door more than halfway (about 270 degrees) to get in, since the entry was narrow. Each time I would enter I would get a little dizzy since all you would see was a nearby white wall until the door was nearly all the way open and you finally saw your room.

The wall was mostly windows which was pleasant, but if you want to sleep past sunrise you need to close them all each night. The bed formed a peninsula that you had to walk all the way around to go from the entry to the bathroom. I likened it to a horseshoe shape that you needed to navigate. The room did come with a small refrigerator that I didn't find until the second day--it is in a cabinet. I did use it to keep beverages cold. The television worked, but it was a big screen flat panel and there were no HD channels delivered to the room, which seemed a waste. Because of the arrangement, the room seemed smaller than it really was.

Incidentally, we got a group rate that made it a much better downtown deal than the list price.

Our conference did have a meal provided by the hotel which was very good--as good or better than the fancy restaurant we visited later in the week for a better price. Service was attentive both for dinner and for cocktails in the lobby later in the evening.

A very good hotel with great convenient location that suffers from some of the limitations of retrofitting a downtown building to hotel space.

Room Tip: Avoid the corner rooms to get a better room layout
Green Features: The standard placards were there for towel reuse and recycling. Average environmental awareness.
1 Thank Bradley_T9L
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the Marriott recently during my daughter's dance competition. The hotel lobby is bright and bustling. People at the front desk were very efficient and friendly.
Our room was modern and clean with a great view of downtown Cleveland. Bed was very comfortable. It was a busy weekend and we often had to wait for elevators.
Given that the hotel was fully booked (and always is this particular weekend), the hotel should have had more staff working in the restaurant and bar. Also frustrating, the little store on the main floor was sold out of many items by mid morning.
We will definitely return to the Marriott when we need to stay in downtown Cleveland.

• Stayed March 2014
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

Pros:
Clean
Nice staff (bellman especially helpful)
Self check-in available
Decent executive lounge on the 20th floor
Great lighting
Quiet HVAC system
Decent sized rooms
Nice views of the city or the lake available
Nice bath layout
Nice big windows for plenty of sunshine
Great work area with extra outlets and adjustable desk and chair
In room fridge (love that)
Sundry store on site
Good food options on site
Nice downtown location
Good iron/iron board combination
Good hair dryer
Great bathroom lighting
Good bath amenities

CONS
Bad television
Bad channel selection
Drain in tub was terrible - you'd be standing up to your ankles in water - just ick
Shower curtain was totally messed up - something the housekeeper should take care of when s/he cleans the room but obviously just overlooks
Cheap towels
Not the most comfortable beds
Not the quietest hotel

All in all, not bad but not great either. I's average/good, not 'Very Good' which I had to use for the review. I'd stay here again, but I expected more I guess.

Room Tip: I'd ask for a high floor. Executive Lounge is on 20th floor. The city views are nice at night.
Green Features: If they had anything that was environmentally friendly, I didn't see it either than the request to reuse your towels.
ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

I'm giving this a rating of excellent since I think it is an excellent choice in Cleveland. I always like to have extra towels when I stay at a hotel and the Marriott left them for me in the room along with a note! We had a cool view of the lake and football stadium. We were able to walk to restaurants and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. They have self parking and valet parking ($5 more). We appreciated the breakfast that we qualified for as Marriott gold members. The room and bathroom were very clean. We could hear a little noise from the hallway, but it was basically a quiet hotel.

Room Tip: Enjoyed the lake view
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple