“Good service but a worn-out room”

Cleveland Marriott Downtown at Key Center
Ranked #12 of 38 Hotels in Cleveland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 27, 2013

I stayed at the Cleveland Marriott at Key Center for a few nights. The staff was very courteous, the public areas in the hotel were very good, and the service in the concierge lounge was outstanding. That being said, the room I was assigned was unfortunately quite worn out, especially the carpet and the matress. Both were in desperate need of being replaced. With the price being a bit on the high side and the deficiencies mentioned, I am only giving this hotel an average rating.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,026)

Reviewed October 21, 2013

I stayed here for one night prior to going to a wedding in Mentor, Ohio. I checked in early in the afternoon and used the new "e-check in service" available on Iphones and other portable e-devices upon landing in Cleveland's Airport. After picking up the rental car and completing the short 30 minute (or so) drive to the hotel, the parking attendants greeted me warmly and the bell hops helped collect my bags. As soon as I approached the front desk, the attendants knew who I was immediately, greeted me by name, and had my key all ready for me for my room on the 20th (Concierge Level) floor. I was very happily surprised.

I was taken up to the 20th floor where my room was on a corner of the hotel. I had a very nice view of the historic downtown district and court house and on the other side, I had a wonderful view of the lake and the marina. The room was laid out very nicely with a work area, a large king sized bed, and a bathroom and large closet off to the one side. The in room amenities, the large screen television, and the items I requested (extra towels and pillows) were all placed in the room prior to my arrival.

That evening there were complimentary snacks prior to dinner in the Concierge Lounge. The lady who worked in the lounge in the evenings was a real HOOT!! (HOOT = a midwestern word for someone who is a real character; friendly; involved; nice; fun!). The service was great. It is also a free pour bar where they don't stand over you and make it seem like that you are stealing their precious liquor and it is a 'sign the card' honor system. That is a nice way to treat guests in the Concierge Lounge. After dinner hour, they have the complimentary desserts and the honor bar is still there.

In the mornings there is a nice array of breakfast foods including scrambled eggs or sausage and some oatmeal and other breakfast pastries and items that can more than make a good meal to start your day.

All in all a stay on the Concierge Floor is well worth it.

I did not particularly like the menu in the restaurant downstairs for lunch. It just did not seem to have a good variety of foods, but that might just be my particular tastes.

However, all in all this is a great Marriott to stay at. I wish I had brought my swimming trunks to try out the 4th floor indoor pool. But I didn't so I did not get a chance to check that out.

My only complaint was that there was a good degree of noise from room to room through the walls. It eventually died down but with the triangle arrangement of the corner rooms (3 rooms right next to each other on the corners) this may have made the noise of doors opening and closing worse.

Room Tip: Ask for the Concierge Floor! Definitely visit the lounge on the 20th Floor (Concierge Guests only...
2  Thank andrewjv1955
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Though I didn't personally stay at the property, I had a friend staying at the hotel for a weekend and I wanted to send an amenity for his bday. I was put in touch with Richard Miller, the Concierge at the Marriott Downtown at Key Center Hotel. Richard could not have been more helpful and prompt throughout the entire amenity ordering process. He took ownership of my request and at one point even emailed me back when he was at home to ensure that I received all the information I needed. He also kept me updated and let me know once the card was written and ready for delivery. It's staff members like Richard who truly care and take pride in their work that continue to make Marriott shine! Thank you, Richard!

PS - my friend reported the room to be a "great location, comfortable room and would certainly return"

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jennie M
Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the Marriot for three nights. Room was dated but there will be refurbishing by next April. The key cards were a particular nuisance. Rooms could not be opened more often than not and sometimes the staff had to be called to help. No compensation was given for this. Reception staff was wonderful, just as Ron, one of the porters. Two days the room was cleaned vert late (3 pm), but this was remedied by a thorough cleanup the last day. To summarise: hotel needs revamping, reception staff and Ron the porter are wonderful and very obliging.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Right in the heart of everything is where you will be if you stay here. The valet staff was okay when I pulled up, I have had better greetings, however they were friendly. The front desk was very good with a warm welcome and a professional appearance. This is a very old building that gives a grand appearance with a very large two tier lobby, the atmosphere is wonderful and it can be a little breathtaking. They hotel has a nice bar right across from the front desk and plenty of room to move around. I arrived a day early and they did accommodate me, the downside was the room, it was a very small room which I felt like I was in the basement. It had two regular size windows that with a view of a handrail and the side of a staircase which was in the lobby, the second window was right above the workout room so all you could see was people doing just that. The other issue with the first room was the bathroom, the space between the toilet and the sink was very, very tight. After the first day I asked to be moved from the 6th floor and they moved me to the 10th floor. The room was a little better, however, the bathroom was much better. I have learned from some of the other people I was staying with that some of their rooms had similar issues. I would stay here again, I would just ask for a room with a normal size bathroom on an upper floor. The hotel is near casinos, so keep your guard up, I will say there was no shortage of police in the streets which made me feel very comfortable anywhere I went. Very professional police department on foot, horseback and patrol cars. I walked to all of the bars and restaurants when I needed to eat, enjoyed the sites and the local people seemed to be friendly. I look forward to staying there again.

Room Tip: Get the upper floors and ask for a normal size bathroom.
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Checked in on a Thursday afternoon, the same day as the Browns and Bills were playing right next door. Had to wait on my room till 5:15 pm, but the front desk offered to cover my parking free $20 and also offered access to the concerige level on the 20th floor. While it wasn't perfect, the service and demeanor and well being wasn't overlooked. The staff was likely being held between a rock and hard place between the Bills being in the hotel, a large meeting and them holding rooms till late in the afternoon, since the game wasn't until 8.

The hotel was nice. The parking was attached underground, and covered with a green touch by the city. The rooms were clean, and 4 star like. I would stay here again, but the choices of a great hotel in downtown Cleveland are really, really limited. The checkin area has a couple of stores and food and bar area, which is a nice compliment to the hotel.

The only thing I didn't like was the $17 a day for wi-fi, something that is easily offered for free at lower quality hotels. Those days of paying for that service are over.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WCU1
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We live in Cleveland and this hotel is our favorite, right on public square, short walk to football stadium, casino, Quicken Loans Arena, Tower City and restaurants...its fun. Our room faced the lake, that was cool. Staff is always friendly and helpful. Valet folks real nice, it felt good to pull up in our new Cadillac and walk away and have the fellows take care of everything.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple