“Dazed and Confused. Read your bill carefully”

Cleveland Marriott Downtown at Key Center
Ranked #8 of 38 Hotels in Cleveland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Nyc
“Dazed and Confused. Read your bill carefully”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I booked a long weekend, arrival on Friday night late and departed Monday morning, and found the hotel was fully booked with two big weekend long weddings and a weekend long Indians home stand.

I booked a room with a city view on the 22nd floor. I was lucky in that this room truly had a city view, I heard that some city views might mean a view of a building across the street.

I enjoyed my stay expect for one or two exceptions. My mattress was mushy and my back will be aching for a while because of it. I mentioned it to a manager at the front desk she offered no options. On the third night I rotated the mattress myself and slept much more comfortably. The well worn section of the mattress was now at the foot of the bed. Why couldn't the hotel staff figure that out?

The second was that the hotel charged me for three days of internet although I only purchased two ($12.99 for 24 hours). I brought this to the of attention a woman at the front desk and it was subtracted. Later that morning when I went to check out I mentioned my stay was "Just okay" to another woman at the front desk and she removed the two day internet billing altogether.

Parking is also tricky there. Park on a Friday night (after 8pm I think) and it's $8 for 24 hours. Park through the hotel and it's $20 ( with unlimited entry and exits).

I have to say I have mixed reviews about the staff. The housekeeping and restaurant staff were super friendly. The staff at the front desk left me dazed because I was never sure if I was going to get Jekyll or Hyde.

PS There's a Westin being built down the block. Marriott will have to consider updating the hotel soon.

Room Tip: Any city view room the ends in "08" ie 2008 or 1808 will have a very good view. Getting a...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Just completed my first week of staying here at the Marriott Downtown. They had me at hello, no actually they had me at "welcome to marriott can I help you". I was provided an early check in room as I arrived at 10:30 am due to early flight. I was also provided with the concierge room under the companies account.
Mary at the front desk was just one of the most pleasant individuals and upon check out the gentleman who had the same birthday as me provided great news as he was able to book me in for future weeks here versus staying at the other Marriott location. I look forward to my check back in this Sunday and for the remaining of this year and possibly for half of next year.
Thanks Marriott

1 Thank Dave O
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Enjoyed staying at this hotel while participating in the conference (MSC 2013). Its downtown location makes it easy to go around and explore the quiet neighborhood. All staff were very friendly and ready to help. The room was clean and comfortable. Enjoyed using the free internet at the lobby and the conference. Conference halls were well equipped and tidy with elegantly served fresh food and beverages. Really enjoyed my stay at Cleveland!

DC971
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights on a bed and breakfast deal. $250 per night plus tax which I felt was expensive, the room we were given was tiny. The sink was actually part of the bedroom and toilet was tiny, with the smallest bath I have seen. The sound proofing on the door is non-existent, I am a light sleeper and struggled with the noise. I have commented on this in a previous Marriott, the interior designer should be SACKED, the carpets give me a headache they awful.
The valet were rude, although the buffet breakfast was excellent and staff very friendly. I would try to stay in the Ritz Carlton next time if the price difference wasn't too much.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
ClevelandMarriottKey, General Manager at Cleveland Marriott Downtown at Key Center, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent stay. I express my deepest apologies to you for the unpleasant experience you had with us. We do have a rooms refurbishment scheduled in 2014. I am glad to hear that the staff was very friendly and the breakfast was excellent. Once again please do accept my apologies and I do hope that the remainder of your trip to Cleveland was enjoyable.
Best Regards,
Bob M
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Very nice place to stay with nice, clean rooms and a good staff. You could not find a place that is more perfectly located for all of the sights in downtown Cleveland. We did not know what to expect on our first trip to the city and this hotel was perfect. The breakfast buffet downstairs is a great deal.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Excellent hotel right in the middle of Cleveland. Service was good and staff were helpful and friendly. Nice little running route (4.5m) around the area (small map at reception). Had a corner room with views over the city and stadium. Really liked the place. Also used business facilities, board room printing etc and again very good

1 Thank Jason A
Indiana, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We planned a last minute anniversary get away. We chose this place because of the reviews on Trip Advisor and we were not disappointed. We were first greeted by a very nice valet who explained the fee options - we chose to valet park our car for $25/night. Good value since this hotel is within walking distance to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, the Horseshoe Casino, stadium, etc. We booked a king size but arrived early & we were told that we could check in but all that was available was 2 double beds - we were OK with that to get into the room early. The room was on the 24th floor and had a great view of the city. Room was very clean and well stocked. Bed was quite comfortable, only negative was that it was very cold in the room, we tried to shut off the a/c but it then let off a dusty smell so we left it as was and covered up!! The room was very quiet except for the mini fridge making noise every now and then. There is a little convenience store on the lobby floor which is nice. We had the breakfast buffet - $14/pp - there is an omelet station but no one was working it - they said that they would get someone but we found a lot of other selections. Food was quite plentiful and tasty but they could use lids on the hot foods as they were just warm. Wait staff was very friendly. It's just a few blocks to a lot of great attractions, restaurants & bars, the staff was very friendly, check-in and out very quick & easy and the valets were all very nice. Actually everyone we came in contact with in Cleveland was very nice and friendly. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank btp-01
Thank you for the positive guest comments. We will share our guest comments throughout the team to celebrate our success. I apologize about the room temperature in your room. I hope that you enjoyed your stay with us and had a wonderful time celebrating your wedding anniversary. We look forward to having you back as our guest in the future.
Best Regards,