“Cleveland Rocks”

Cleveland Marriott Downtown at Key Center
Ranked #9 of 38 Hotels in Cleveland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 31, 2012

We took a bus trip from central Pennsylvania for the Browns vs. Bengals game on October 14th. The minute we arrived in Cleveland, we were greeted by wonderfully friendly people who let us know we were home. The building was beautiful, the staff was very accommodating, and the room was great. The only disappointment was that only one TV at the restaurant was able to carry the Ohio State game that night, but that's minor. It was definitely a convenient location, and everyone made us feel at home.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Cleveland Marriott Downtown at Key Center

Reviewed October 22, 2012

I have been at this hotel about 10 years ago and now for sevral days. It has a great location in downtown Cleveland with only a short walk to major attractions. Some furniture and lighting in the room was a bit worn. Thinkg were clean. Hot water was abundant in the AM but if you wanted to shower in the afternoon, the water never got hot in my 15th floor room. Meeting facilities were nice for the rooms but the chair upholstry was worn, sometimes frayed. When I arrived, check in was great but there was no offer of help from the bellstaff. Meeting food was tasty. Concierge was not here on a Sunday but I am not sure if that is typical. A bellman helped me find what I was looking for. Overall, the room was comfortable with nice views so I would stay again but would hope they fix the small things I have mentioned above.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with views of Lake Erie, the museums and the stadium.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Typical for a Marriott but with some great "extras"! Concierge Dick Miller was incredibly helpful. My first visit to Cleveland and due to arrive by train at 3:30 a.m. - Mr. Miller put me in touch with a great car service to get me to the hotel. (separate review). He also recommended a fabulous place to eat early in the morning (separate review). Personable and resourceful with suggestions/advice about Cleveland, he made a typical Marriott stay one step above. Hotel is nice and close to Public Square where events I attended took place. Hotel shop open long hours and very convenient when you didn't want to go out. Will gladly stay there on another trip to Cleveland!

Room Tip: Loved the corner room with a view of Public Square but also loved the room on 16th floor that looked...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Caroline C
Reviewed October 17, 2012

I have now had three stays at this Marriott property since February 2011, and one thing (and may I say very important) is its consistency. All of my stays were for the purpose of attending Cleveland Orchestra concerts.

I find that the rooms are attractive with a large sized flat screen TV; room internet access? can't help there..

Now to review the property's services I had occasion to use, I found their evening Doorman, Robert, if I properly recall, to be quite reliable and efficient in rounding up a taxicab for travel to Severance Hall (hardly downtown; it is out near the Cleveland Clinic and Western Reserve University).

The hotel Gift Shop was properly supplied with newspapers - including my "daily reads" - The New York Times and The Wall Street Journal.

While I have not used this property's restaurant for Dinner, I can say that their Breakfast Buffet, is quite tasty, an exceptional waitstaff (Hostess Rita, what a great ambassador she is for this hotel), and, compared with other major market full service properties at which I stay, quite reasonable.

Another welcome "touch" for a traveler who has neither a "laptop" nor "smart phone" is the Business Center available for guests without charge. It seems that lower-end properties at which I have occasion to stay, such is simply a computer in the lobby - and free. However, full-service properties charge for this service - here, we are addressing a deservedly noted exception.

Checkout, along with check-in was efficiently handled - room rate exactly as confirmed (use Marriott's own website); my auto was promptly retrieved by the valet service.

One "complaint" I had in the past (mentioned only to the Doorman) has now been addressed, if you are navigating to the property by means of a Sat/Nav (GPS) system, any I know will be looking for 123 Public Square. The property is actually on a street named Mall Drive. The hotel's confirmation now notes this discrepancy, providing a street address to "load in".

Problem solved.

Room Tip: As at any major brand property, room rates are a property of supply and demand, my laststay was duri...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Gilbie_9
Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

Love the location but sorely lacking in cleanliness...robbery what is charged to stay here...elevators are scummy and rooms lack cleanliness that "should" be associated w the $$$$ to stay here...why no room service past midnight?????

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 4, 2012

This is by far one of the nicest hotels I have ever stayed in. Parking was easy and $20, not bad for a downtown location. The service was exceptionally professional, friendly and knowledgable. The rooms were fanstastic. They were large, clean and very finely decorated. The bed was as close to a cloud that I think you could get. This hotel was in easy walking distance to all of the downtown attractions. We stayed comped as a Total Rewards guest but I would easily pay a high sum to stay here again!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LCFTAK
Reviewed September 30, 2012

I was greeted as a Gold Elite member and informed that eventhough Concierge services were not available on the weekend I would receive complimentary breakfast buffett for my entire stay. That was a plus. The king size room had a great view of the city and water from the 23rd floor. Teh breakfast buffet was one of the best I've ever had. The hotel staff was very helpful and courteous. The hotel was in walking distacne of all the downtown attractions. I would stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends