“Not the best stay...”

Ranked #19 of 38 Hotels in Cleveland
Dearborn, Michigan
“Not the best stay...”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Clean room, I do appreciate an updated room like this one. I also can appreciate a clean room and a presentABLE lobby and hallways. The thing that ended up being a thorn in the side of this trip was the fact that we picked this hotel mainly for the pool and hot tub for my mother in law. We got to the room late and were only staying for one night. There was still time to swim and unwind from a drive on the road. We get to the room and change into our suits. We rush down to the pool to find a couple kids splashing around unattended. Sure, this probably happens all the time. To each their own but the problem we had was what we saw floating in the pool at first we thought it was a large bug, perhaps a child's toy? NO! it wasn't at all in fact it had started to disintegrate and fall all over the area below it on the bottom of the pool. Before jumping in we decided to take the giant blue wand and began to scoop the unknown substance out of the pool....sure enough it was human feces... A giant turd in the pool and a ton of it in the bottom of the pool. Being in the health care field I know how dangerous this really could be. I immediately report the problem to the front desk. I told them we were very disappointed as the pool was why we picked the place and they said that they would give us a 20 dollar credit to their restaurant for breakfast in the a.m.. We had to leave @ 630 am when breakfast wasn't available to us so we asked if we could get room service and have a dessert instead the night before and they said our credit wasn't big enough so that we had to share a dessert. I understand that they had to evacuate and drain the pool and close it down for the night but the front desk clerk seemed the least bit surprised by the incident, didn't really care if we ever came back and I truly feel like they just TOLD us they were going to drain the pool because before we left in the morning we checked and the sign that said pool closed was gone and there was no draining going on... I don't know just disappointed as a whole experience and will not go back. I just feel I could have been compensated a bit better especially being a new Marriott Rewards member. Just didn't really put a good image in my head for future Marriott stays...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank travlingthrulife

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Turkish first
Clarkston, Michigan
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I am reluctantly giving this hotel 4 stars, but the staff was nice if ineffective. My 19 yr old daughter and I stayed here while visiting Cleveland July 4th weekend. The rate was far better than the hotels downtown and only a 10 minute easy drive. The lobby of the hotel is very nice. After the first night, I noticed that the dead bolt to the room (security lock) was not working properly - it would stay in the 'out' position. I reported it twice to the front desk, was told someone would be up 'immediately' - no one ever came to fix that lock in the three days we stayed. Fortunately, I figured out a way to get it back in on my own, but the problem persisted our entire stay. The other issue was the drain in the bathtub - seriously clogged. To the point that the entire tub would fill to nearly the top by the end of my shower. I reported this and left a note for housekeeping - with a tip. I did this each day (lowering the tip) - still never go fixed. Otherwise, the room was clean and everything was in working order. The beds were very comfortable. They were also kind enough to put us in the tower side while the soccer tournament families were lodged in the courtyard side. The fitness center was one of the better ones I have been in for a hotel of this type. I knew there would not be free room internet - none of the 'better' name brand hotels offer it for free. Overall, I was happy with our stay.

Room Tip: We were on the tower side by the elevator. Even then, there was not a lot of noise. I normally try...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Cheryl S
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Hotel: The property is near to the airport and right next to Highway. It is a huge property, lobby looks great as if it has recently been renovated. Lot of parking space and the hotel also runs shuttle service to the airport if required.

Staff: The front desk staff who checked in, the concierges lounge lady was super friendly.

Rooms: Standard Marriott room, upgraded to concierges floor, room is well kept.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
St Louis,Missouri
Reviewed July 6, 2013

I stayed one night here so I could get to the airport in the morning to travel home. Check in was very professional and the front dest person offered me a free movie since I am a Marriott rewards elite member. The room was nice and I had a room on the Concierge floor with access to the lounge. I was informed that there was not any food at that time since it was a bit late. I went to my room and ordered room service since I had not had dinner. The food from room service was excellent, but then I went to the lounge to see if they had any sweets for dessert and found that there was plenty of food there. I wish I had checked before I ordered my 30.00 room service meal! Oh well, live and learn. The hotel shuttle to the airport was very prompt and convenient. Good stay overall. Bed comfortable. Room clean and modern.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Marriot Cleveland is one of the few hotels where guests are charged $9.95 per day to use the internet. This could respresent more than 10-15% of your bill depending on your room rate. I would recommend nearby properties that do not charge this fee.

Since I am a silver member with Marriott, which indiciates a levele of loyalty, it offends me to have a "shake-down" policy to use the internet. When I questioned this at the front desk, the attendant was very polite and verified the hotel's policy. NO CHANGE MADE.

I recommend using your phone as a hotspot if this is an option.

This property has very small rooms, neatly arranged with newer furnishings, but to charge for the internet is a show-stopper for me. Thanks but I will arrange my future stays elsewhere.

Also, Please have the carperting cleaned. If I can smell it so can you.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank benfen6293
Madison, Alabama
Reviewed June 16, 2013

We were surprised the reviews were so great, especially when it seems like this Marriott is not in a very good part of town. The lobby area is very beautiful, but the rooms are very small, and the bathrooms are even smaller. My wife and I aren't super skinny, but we aren't all that big, but we couldn't fit in the bathroom at the same time. We also are platinum members, with King size bed preferences, and we got two double beds? I couldn't believe it. We did call down and they moved us to a King, so that was good. The hotel is rather old, but they do keep it pretty clean. We just never felt all that comfortable. I would try to look elsewhere next time we go. We only stayed one night, as we moved here from the Ritz to be closer to the airport the night before our flight. The staff was nice though, and it wasn't their fault. We just didn't really like the property. Too small, and not in a part of town we preferred to be in.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank launcher69
washington dc
Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

Room was fine, bed was fine, bathroom was fine. Only problem was that they never brought our foam pillows or extra cot. We checked in at 11 pm and all crashed pretty quickly, including one on the floor. We did tell the front desk in the morning and they comped all five of a breakfast. Really nice staff.

• Stayed June 2013