“J Palen House is outstanding!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cleveland
J. Palen House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 13 Cleveland B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 8, 2009

J Palen House is my favorite B&B. I've stayed in the loft twice and will definitely return. Reasons: attention to detail, comfort, unique decor, delicious breakfasts, unique neighborhood, and a truly outstanding inn keeper- Scott West!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 29, 2009

Located minutes from downtown Cleveland, the J. Palen House is tucked away on one of the quiet tree-lined residential streets in the historic district of Ohio City. Accommodations are spacious and beautifully decorated. Inkeeper Scott does a wonderful job of making guests feel welcome and comfortable. He is also a great cook, and his three course breakfast, served in the dining room with other guests, is quite enjoyable. Five very different specialty restaurants are located within walking distance and the historic Tremont District, with its many acclaimed restaurants, is but a short drive away.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 26, 2009

Hand's down, this is the best place to stay while visiting Cleveland.
This Victorian B&B is nestled in among well-kept, stately and inviting old (mid 19th century) homes. Tree-lined streets makes this place so inviting, especially in the fall.
Within a couple blocks you can find great restaurants & bars, an enormous old-world indoor-outdoor market and coffee shops.
Scott, the inn keeper, pays such close attention to detail, nothing feels ill-considered.,
His cooking and laid-back personality makes every visit a joy.
We were never B&B fans.
Now we are thanks to the J. Palen House. Every time we are in Cleveland, we will stay there.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 10, 2009

This was my first time to a bed and breakfast. This place was great. My husband and I loved it. My standards for B&B's will now be held high. There was so much attention to detail. The house was so clean, the sheets so soft, a luxurious bed, balcony, and so much more. I can't say enough about the breakfast, it was so good! I keep thinking about it! The location was great. We were able to walk around the area. I cannot wait to go back.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 16, 2009

Our stay was from April 5-8 2009 in the Loft suite. It's located in the back of another house about a block away from the main house, but don't let that fact sway your decision to choose this particular room. It's like an efficiency apartment, complete with fully equipped kitchen with new and clean appliances, cute dishware, assorted teas, snacks and drinks. When Scott the Innkeeper walked us to our room, we were pleasantly surprised to find it lit by candlelight and music was softly playing from the in suite stereo system. We couldn't have asked for more. It was the perfect place for a romantic 3 night stay. My husband uses a cane, and was able to navigate the stairs to the bedroom thanks to hand rails on both sides. And the large shower stall was a perfect small step up for him. Breakfasts were wonderful! We have stayed in many B&B's and this is now at the top of our list as one of our favorites. The location of the Palen house is in "Ohio City"- walking distance to the West Side Market, Great Lakes Brewery, and many trendy restaurants. We will return!!!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 4, 2009

I am saddened and anguished to point of seeking legal remedies after my recent stay at JPalen house. The visit and facilities were lovely, the inn keeper Scott one the the best. When we returned home after a short weekend stay we received notice that we were being charged $150 for "extra cleaning". The owner informed us that a smell of cigar smoke was detected and required extreme cleaning of the entire unit to include curtains, furniture, and linens. Neither my boyfriend or I smoke. No candles were burned, no matches lit. We perceive this as a horrible scam by the inn owners and will have to pursue our claim in court. A terrible end to what was a good visit.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
10  Thank lpaulette
Reviewed February 27, 2009

We went to Cleveland in the dead of winter to see Dancing With the Stars for my birthday. But instead of that being the most impressive thing about our getaway, it turned out to be our stay at J Palen House. My husband arranged everything in advance with Scott, the Innkeeper, in order to surprise me. And surprise me they did! Scott went out of his way to arrange the details that made this stay so memorable. He provided my husband with names of great restaurants and a wonderful place for a massage all within walking distance. When we went out for the evening, Scott set up the wine, candles and roses that my husband had provided and even had the music playing softly when we tiptoed in late at night. We had the entire third floor suite to ourselves and enjoyed the peace and quiet and privacy. And Scott's breakfasts are unbelievable. He has a flare for seemingly being invisible, but being right there the minute you need him. Everything is so clean and so organized and so modern yet so Victorian. Scott is the ultimate host who makes you glad you met him and hopeful of seeing him again!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple