“Good Food and Atmosphere at Lola”

Lola Bistro & Wine Bar
Ranked #6 of 1,912 Restaurants in Cleveland
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Prospect Avenue
Reviewed May 10, 2014

First of all, make reservations, as we were there a Monday night and it was FULL. This could be due to different conferences held in the downtown area, but Lola was full even when other restaurants nearby were nearly empty. I ordered a mixed drink from the bar - it was very delicious, but expensive for what I'm used to, but I should expect that for an upscale restaurant like Lola (drink was $11). We didn't wait long to get seated, and the waitstaff was very helpful and prompt. On a scale of 1-10, the service was a 10, food was a 8-9. For a dining experience that presses you to try different food, and gives you some better variety than an ordinary restaurant, go ahead and try Lolas. It will not disappoint - just be prepared to spend a little money (Not including my drink, my food bill was nearly $50).

Write a ReviewReviews (1,299)

Reviewed May 9, 2014

We finally decided to check out Michael Symon's legendary restaurant, and it was a fantastic experience. The place was packed at 6:30 on a Monday evening----and its no wonder why. We started with the renowned Beef Cheek Pierogies (delicate pastry filled with the most tender roast beef I've ever eaten, on a bed of delicious demi-glace), Ricotta Gnocchi and the day's soup: a fantastic Roasted Cauliflower Curry soup with Bacon. All were true appetizer/first course size, so don't expect to share more than a bite or two. For mains we ordered the Moulard Duck and Hangar Steak (both served medium-rare) and the Agnolotti pasta dish with shaved brussel spouts , butternut squash.and Parmesan. All were prepared and served perfectly with incredibly delicious sauces. For dessert we opted for the house-made sorbets of Blueberry Melon, Ginger-Vanilla and Raspberry-Lavender. THESE WERE TO DIE-FOR. The house-made ice-creams sounded equally unique and delicious. Nice wine list and the house cocktails are unusual and marvelous.

We are by no-means incredibly sophisticated diners and worried that the menu choices would be a bit too high-brow for us----how wrong we were. The thing that I believe sets this restaurant and Chef Symon apart is their uncanny ability to season EVERYTHING with absolute perfection----the sauces in particular. Lola emphasizes very high quality over quantity, so if you're looking for huge portions of marginal food, you won't like it. Excellent suggestions by our server and attentive service. Definitely a "splurge" place which deserves its very high rating. The ONLY thing which could improve this place is some sound-absorbing substance to combat the noisy atmosphere, a minor thing really. HIGHLY recommend.

3  Thank blndgenie
Reviewed May 7, 2014

This restaurant was right along with what I was hoping for. Food was good and the decor was nice and welcoming. There was a foie gras app special that my wife really enjoyed. I had the ribeye and it was also very good and paired with a nice red wine. My only complaint would be the menu is very limited in offerings. I would go again but only if in the area or with company.

1  Thank lvgoliath
Reviewed May 7, 2014

I was recently in Cleveland for a short stay for a conference and my husband and I wanted to try a more local restaurant as opposed to a chain. My brother in law recommended this restaurant. We were seated promptly. The servers were attentive. We were there for lunch and glad we arrived early. The place does a good lunch time business. The menu is not terribly long but it was not difficult to find something to please. I had the soup of the day which was a black bean soup which was excellent. My entrée was macaroni and cheese which is definitely not your everyday dish. Very tasty. My husband had the tomato soup which again was not ordinary and grilled fish. We both left quite full and satisfied. A fun place to eat but not a budget restaurant.

1  Thank Sally S
Reviewed May 2, 2014

Food was not we expected, pork belly too fat, the sirloin was hard and the wine card is too short.
The service was average . We came for my daughter birthday and for sure we never come back.
Prices are too high.