“No wonder this guy is an Iron Chef!”

Lola Bistro & Wine Bar
Ranked #5 of 1,844 Restaurants in Cleveland
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Prospect Avenue
NJ USA
“No wonder this guy is an Iron Chef!”
Reviewed February 12, 2014

On a recent road trip that took us through Cleveland (primarily for the Rock&Roll HOF), we had the opportunity to have dinner at Michael Symon's flagship restaurant. Firs of all, with an 8:15 reservation on a Saturday night, we were seated PROMPTLY at 8:15. (How often does that happen?)
Pretty much every single item on the menu was creative and well executed - from the crunchy pig ears, beef cheek pierogies, and pan fried bone marrow appetizers, perfectly cooked rib-eyes, and well balanced sturgeon (if a bit small), to the INSANE ingredients in the desserts (porcini mushroom caramel, bacon ice cream, gold leaf chocolate ganache). All I can say is WOW! Add to that the very attentive and friendly service, and it is no wonder this place continues to be a favorite Cleveland landmark!

• Visited February 2014

Bay Village, Ohio
“Do they teach the staff to be that unfriendly?”
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Let me start by saying that the food was excellent. Between us we had the kale salad, the roasted cauliflower, the agnolotti (a pasta dish), and the trout. Everything was amazing. But we left hungry and actually went elsewhere to get more to eat. I understand that small plates are stylish and better for our waistlines, but that was a little over the top.

The restaurant was way too dark. It's ok that they wanted to create some ambiance, but we could barely see one another. When we mentioned it to our waitress, she made some flip comment about how we'd get used to it. We never did. I can't even comment on the decor because I couldn't see it. Also, it was too loud. The place wasn't overly crowded (it was early-ish on a Saturday evening), so it wasn't too loud because of the other patrons. It was too loud because of the music they were playing.

But the worst part was that no one we encountered was friendly. We got the impression that this is an awful place to work and everyone is miserable. At the end we had one guy come over to fill our water who smiled at us, but he was the only one. The unfriendliness of the staff did give us something to joke about while we were sitting in the dark, so it wasn't all bad. But considering how expensive this place is, you'd expect to at least feel welcomed. We did not.

Luckily, we were using a gift card, so it didn't cost us very much to eat here, but it's still very disappointing. Cleveland has too many other amazing restaurant options, so we won't be back.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Karen M
“If only the Cleveland Indians could hit it out of the park like Michael”
Reviewed January 31, 2014

An absolutely amazing meal at this restaurant and we have returned many times. I dined at Lola's with my wife and ordered a bone marrow appetizer. I was floored with the size of the portion and blown away by the presentation. The attention to detail was spot on. The food for the entire meal was prepared with care and had our taste buds were jumping. A terrific meal, great ambiance and outstanding service.

• Visited August 2013
Princeton, Illinois
“mmmgood”
Reviewed January 23, 2014

My husband and I visited Cleveland Ohio this past summer, we were treated to a spectacular gourmet meal at Lola Bistro. We were treated very warmly by staff, each course delivered with flare and was oh so scrumptious! Highly recommend to anyone traveling to Cleveland.

• Visited August 2013
Stratham, New Hampshire
“In a word, Fabulous!”
Reviewed January 17, 2014

My sister and I booked a table at Lola, Iron Chef Michael Symon's restaurant, when we went to Cleveland (yes, in January!) to celebrate my 55th birthday. We spent the entire day at the Roll 'n Roll Hall of Fame. amazing. Then we went back to our hotel, rested and walked two blocks to East 4th Street, a fun street with several good looking restaurants.

We had very high expectations for the meal. And, wow, were they met! We started with the gnocchi with black truffles and spinach and parmesan (heavenly). I had the scallops and my sister opted for the sturgeon. We finished off the meal with the sticky toffee pudding and the peanut butter mousse and pretzel. All in all, a wonderful meal in a terrific atmosphere and with great service!

• Visited January 2014