“Great atmosphere, Decent Food, Convenient Location, Friendly Staff”

Lola Bistro & Wine Bar
Ranked #5 of 1,884 Restaurants in Cleveland
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Prospect Avenue
Reviewed July 22, 2013

A neat setup & atmosphere. Great looking bar. Good drinks. Friendly staff. Focus is on meats, particularly pork. So, I was wrong to order halibut; it was not memorable.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,276)

Reviewed July 22, 2013

We travelled to Cleveland for a culinary road trip, specifically to hit 3 of Michael Symon's restaurants - Lola was our second.

Lola is tucked down a little pedestrian street in central Cleveland. Gets a little busy after baseball games so reservations are a good idea. Our dinner was at 10pm because we saw a "Book of Mormon" beforehand and too my surprise and delight the restaurant was still packed (a very good sign). A totally different feel from Lolita, Lola is a hip, modern, open space very fitting for the urban setting. And the food matches with this ascetic perfectly. We had a trio of appetizers to split; Main Lobster, Beef Cheek Pierogi and Pork Belly w/ Crispy Pig Ear. This was a great start to the meal. I love bacon as much as the next guy, but crispy pig ear is like the best "pork rind" you'll ever eat. My wife had Scallops for her main and I splurged on the Rib Eye and some Lola fries, both were amazing. But the breakfast for dessert was the perfect finish for this meal - The 6am Special brioche french toast, maple-bacon ice cream and caramelized apple. Overall probably my favorite of the 3 restaurant tour.

NOTE: Service was much, much better at Lola (see my review of Lolita for the full story), were in and out in little over an hour.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Clevelanders have always been proud of our homegrown star chef Michael Symon. However our recent experience was disappointing by a factor of 3 (entrees) : a well cooked but very bland halibut dish, ho hum underseared sea scallops, and an overcooked agnolotti dish that was too rich for summertime creating a gluey concoction that, with corn, chanterelle mushrooms, and Parmesan had looked very promising on paper. The atmosphere was luxe, the waitress pleasant but not fully attentive, and an undertrained busboy with bread plates inadvertently removed and utensils not fully replaced. To counter this however I have to admit that a lunch there 6 months before was outstanding. Go figure.

1  Thank PEN2314
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Having heard much about Michael Symon's Lola Bistro/ Wine Bar, my wife and I decided to have dinner there before a show at Playhouse Square. The 4th Street location is great, being closed to traffic, full of restaurants and bars from low end to Lola at the high end. We had a 5:00 reservation to give us time for a leisurely dinner and walk back to Playhouse Square. My wife had the halibut and I tried (a new to me) sturgeon. We both were quite pleased with our choices. We had a nice white burgundy to accompany the fishes, which I thought was reasonably priced for this scale of restaurant. The physical style is very much glass/ black/ chrome modern, and it works very well. We could see into the open wall kitchen from our table, and that was an enjoyable addition to the evening. Excellent service throughout the meal, always full water glasses, dishes cleared away appropriately, meaning a well-trained staff. Lola is well deserving of the awards they have received.

1  Thank David H
Reviewed July 17, 2013

4th Street...outside dining...perfect weather...great service and memorable food. What's not to like? Don't miss hometown guy Michael Symond's incredible restaurant. There was not a mediocre dish served to the 4 of us at all and that included appetizers, entrees, salads, and desserts.