“Everything we had hoped for!”

Lola Bistro & Wine Bar
Ranked #5 of 1,846 Restaurants in Cleveland
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Prospect Avenue
Brenham, Tx
“Everything we had hoped for!”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

We planned a trip to Cleveland to visit Lola and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Our experience at Lola was outstanding. We had a great table with a view of the open kitchen. The number of people working in the place as amazing. And all were outgoing and helpful. Our server, Aurora, was as good as any we have encountered in any fine restaurant. The wine list comes on an Ipad. Very cool, but somewhat overwhelming. We asked the sommelier to help select a wine which turned out to be just the style we wanted. But the food is the star in this place. You have to try the "Crispy Pig Ear". Very different, and we would order it again. All of our entres from the pork chop to the salmon were very well prepared and presented. We will go again if we are ever in Cleveland again.

Boston, Massachusetts
“Disappointing dinner”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Lola has a great vibe, were expecting a great dinner to celebrate my birthday, especaily after the earliest reservation we could get on a Saturday was 10PM, but we left disappointed. The soup was so good! It was a special, cauliflower & almond with pancetta..delicious. Also ordered the lobster roll app, which was small and difficult to eat - nothing special. My bf had the venison and I ordered the squash agnolotti. Mine was barely edible! It was like eating a bowl of almond butter. I tried to eat most of it because I felt badly that we were spending money on a nice dinner but it wasn't good. The venison was much better & a good portion but nothing exceptional. After putting a lot of time into selecting a restaurant to try while in Cleveland, I am pretty disappointed. We expected more from Michael Symon, I suggest skipping this one!

Visited October 2012
2 Thank meghan_simmons1
Cincinnati
“It's me not you”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I love Michael Symon, I love the Chew, I love Iron Chef, but I did not love Lola's. I wanted to love it, I really did, but I was disappointed on so many levels.
We arrived in Cleveland on a Friday and our reservations were for Saturday evening. We walked by the restaurant Friday night and I knew what was waiting for me on Saturday, I knew it would be a hard sell, but I wanted to give it a try and my Mom was very excited to try it also, she watches the Chew every day.
The staff was welcoming, but not warm, the restaurant was dimly lit with candles and although people were talking quietly the acoustics in the room were such that you heard a lot of noise from the kitchen.
I ordered the hangar steak which comes with french fries, others in our party ordered pork chops, and rib eye steak. My steak was perfectly cooked and delicious, however I don't like skinny french fries and they were skinny. Others enjoyed their meals, but they came with a smear of cheesy polenta. That's it, if you want more food, you must add it ala carte.
I think I probably went to the wrong Michael Symon restaurant, maybe a person like me would have been happier at his burger place or Lolita's? But if you are like me and enjoy a meal that has salads and sides included in the price of the meal, a place with adequate lighting to be able to see around the inside of the restaurant and a warm homey environment than Lola's may not be the place for you, actually I don't think it reflects Michael Symon very much either. He appears to be a fun outgoing person with his infectious laugh and huge smile and Lola's was none of those things for me.

1 Thank micheled58
Pompano Beach, FL
“Unusual Dessert”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

After reading so much about Michael Symon's restaurants - I had to experience Lola's. We mistakenly did not make a reservation - and an hour wait was longer than we wanted. So, although we did not have dinner there, we did go back for dessert - the French Toast with Vanilla Bacon Ice Cream. I guess MEAT is the way to go when you go to Cleveland. And, to be truthful, I only ordered this to taste - I ate it all. It's unusual, and delicious. Sitting at the bar, the staff was terrific. The restaurant is chic - with an open kitchen view for most of the tables. The view from the street is the bar area and the wines - the wine selection is plentiful. All in all - Lola lives up to it's reputation, and the street is delightful - so many choices.

“Great Experience”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We went to celebrate a friends 50th birthday and had a party of 9. It was our first experience at Lola. The atmosphere was excellent with a low light ambiance accented by a backlit bar surface and an interesting wine cellar behind the bar. We had appetizers, salad, entree's, and dessert. Service was appropriate and the timing was perfect. Within our group we had Ceviche, pig ear, tomato salad, hanger steak, short rib, sturgeon, pistachio ice cream sandwich, chocolate crispy, etc. The food was excellent. If any criticism would have been leveled, it was that perhaps the sturgeon was trending slightly to the bland side. We all left feeling like we had taken part in a 'food experience'. Would highly recommend.