“Fantastic place!”

Ranked #15 of 1,862 Restaurants in Cleveland
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Momocho serves award winning modern mexican cuisine / located in the historic ohio city neighborhood / dinner 6 nights a week + weekday happy hour from 5pm-630pm / seasonal outdoor patios / reservations accepted for parties of 6 or less / viva momocho!
Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

I had reservations at Momocho last Saturday night . I had heard a lot of great things about the restaurant and I was not disappointed! The relaxed yet hip atmosphere Was a great complement to the fantastic food! I had the pork tamale with a fried egg on top that was to die for! I was also pleased with the value of the meal, very reasonable! If you're coming at dinner time on the weekend I would suggest making a reservation As they seem to have a full house. You don't want to seem like a schmuck when you can't get into a popular restaurant on the weekend! This restaurant is a must do again!

There are newer reviews for Momocho

Reviewed February 18, 2013

We visited Cleveland this weekend for a Valentine's getaway & heard some good things about Momocho so we decided to visit; however, we forgot to make reservations and it was a Saturday night...yikes. The restaurant opened at 5pm, we got there at 4:30 and there was already one party waiting outside so we got in line. By the time they opened there were at least 5 parties in line who didn't have reservations, most sat at the bar and I heard one party that the owner let in tell them they had to be out by 6. We got seated right by the door so we got to observe pretty closely the owner of the place and the two hostess' turn at least 25 people (in the hour that we were there) away as the wait was already at 1.5 hours within the first hour of the restaurant opening. To be honest, the owner seemed like schmuck. I'll leave it at that. It's a very cool atmosphere but if you don't like small, crowded, noisy restaurants, you won't like this place.

My advice- make reservations at least a week in advance, preferably two if you want to get right in. The bar is open to walk ins but it's still not a safe bet.

The guacamole was really the thing that drew us there and it didn't disappoint; we got the sampler trio and it was phenomenal. The rest of the food & menu was pretty good but the guacamole definitely was the shining star of the meal. A word to the wise, it's a lot of guacamole (as it should be at $20 for the trio) & almost too much if you aren't dining with at least 4.

We are definitely glad we went & would go back again, with reservations.

1  Thank Tiffany F
Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

I made reservations for six over a month ago. Even then the earliest time that I could get is after 8pm. When I got there the small restaurant was packed and we were almost 20 minutes early. I made my way to the desk and our table was already set and waiting for us. Super-cool!

The margarita selection is fantastic. They also offer a three drink margarita sampler which we all would suggest! The fig, cucumber and pinapple margaritas are awesome! There are also about sixteen different guacamole selections. Goat cheese, jicama/pinapple/hot pepper are delicious. A three guac sampler is also provided and was almost too much for six. So, if you are going with fewer people get an individual serving. The mahi mahi, brisket, pulled pork and steak were all delicious snd served with onions, peppers and tortillas for fajita style dinner. The fried ice cream was great as well.

We got there at 8pm and left at 10:30pm.

Cons: parking is awful, very loud inside, tiny, cramped, crowded, kind of slower service, a little pricey on the drinks and some food.

Pros: super nice and knowledgable staff, delicious food and drinks, fun mexican wrester atmosphere.

1  Thank ScottCLE
Reviewed February 11, 2013

My fiancé and 2 of my friends and I came here to celebrate my birthday. We didn't have a reservation, but the last time I was here without one, we only waited 45 minutes. This time however, it was not 1 minute short of a two hour wait. It may have been because there was no outside seating this time, but I still didn't think we would wait two hours.

We had a selection of margaritas dotting our table. While my two friends both got the samplers, my fiancé and I both just got one. We shared the cucumber and spicy mango and the spicy mango was hands down the best. My friends said they really enjoyed the blood orange, purple fig, and another pink one I can't remember-there were so many!

We also got the guacamole sampler- goat cheese and tomato, crab and pickled corn, and pineapple jicama. I didn't try the goat cheese, but general consensus voted pineapple was the best.

For dinner, when we were already stuffed from chips and guacamole, my friends both got shrimp, fiancé got the machaca, and I got mahi mahi. I've had the shrimp and it's excellent (I just wish they would take the tails off!), mine had a huge portion of fish (totally ate it all though,) and the machaca was slightly salty for my taste, but I never eat brisket so maybe that's how it's supposed to taste.

For such a busy place the service was great. Our server checked back with us only a few times, but it was nice to not be hounded for once while trying to enjoy a meal.

For the price of the meal it was totally worth it, and the server didn't have a problem charging 3 cards after she brought us one bill.

The only complaint I has was not anything the restaurant did; but there were a few tables who were sat before we got there, still hanging out while we stood for 2 hours, then finally left when we had almost finished our meal. I know the restaurant bases everything on a 2 hour dining experience, but when there's more people standing waiting to get a table than there are people sitting, I think it's rude to sit for an additional hour talking once your table has been cleared.

They won't stop me from coming back though!

1  Thank runner2219
Reviewed January 30, 2013

We went on a whim like most of our dining experiences when it comes to booking a sitter and getting out of the house but Cleveland by far relishes in having amazing chefs at our doorsteps who open these NYC worthy joints. Located in Ohio City like most of the great spots on the map, Momocho speaks for itself with the menu! We did not have reservations which I would recommend (wait for walk in usually an hour to hour and half) but when you frequent establishments where people dine to actually dine and enjoy their meal and wine then an hour to an hour and half is very reasonable-this isn't an Applebee's... Without reservations, my husband I ordered margaritas to have while we waited, I did the blood orange and he the pineapple. My only complaint was it was served with a straw...but that's my quirk. They were amazingly good and I would go there just for happy hour. About 50 minutes into our fast wait (drinks and crowded company, the entry is very snug so be prepared to wait squeezed in ESP if its wintertime and you can't really wait outside) two bar seats opened up so we jumped at them. Bar is full service menu. We ordered their famous guacamole we had pineapple even though there are about a dozen listed and it came with a basket of fresh hot chips. Not only did we love it, it was fresh and vibrant, everything you need it to be. For dinner I had 16 spice chicken taquitos and hubby had the brisket tamales. He loved his and I loved mine. Very fresh, well prepared, what you would expect. A little wine later and just a great vibe at the bar, we ordered the fried ice cream. It was good, don't get me wrong it was yummy, I just like my ice cream a little less frozen when it comes to me, it was a bit hard and would love them to play around with flavors instead of just vanilla but honestly it was ice cream and it was yummy. We spent about 3 hours total but that is normal for us, the place is a warm dark lighting and buzzing with good people. Wait staff was great, if they weren't so nice you would think you were in NYC. If you go make reservations, people were seated upstairs right away but honestly if you don't just walk in, the wait for places like this is to be considered normal and have a margarita or two and if you get lucky and the bar opens up jump at it and dine there!

2  Thank ibchick