“Amazing food!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating
Cleveland, Ohio
“Amazing food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2008

The place is small and dinners are cooked by the owner/chef so patience is mandatory. Don't go if you are in a rush by any means or you will end up frustrated! The food is well worth the wait and Junior, the owner/chef is great to chat with. If you have very little patience, order to go!

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Amazing authentic New Orleans-style food. The Chicken Remoulade was fantastic and the shrimp po'boy was the best I've...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2008

Amazing authentic New Orleans-style food. The Chicken Remoulade was fantastic and the shrimp po'boy was the best I've ever had - and the largest. How it remains a secret in Cleveland is beyond me. But good luck finding a seat - you may have to get your food to go. But if you do, you'll miss out on the Houma Houma drink in a mason jar...

1 Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Columbus, OH
“Authentic Cajun/Creole Place in South Euclid”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2006

My friend John and I discovered Battiste and Dupree Cajun Grill by accident, driving by and happened to notice the sign in a small strip mall just north of Cedar at 1992 Warrensville Center Rd. Quite small, four or five tables and a bar. We sat at the bar with a view of the kitchen.
The owner/chef Clarence Ennis Battiste. Jr. greeted us and brought us some ice-cold beers. He's a laid-back guy who doesn't brag, but it soon became apparent that he had the background and experience to cook up some authentic South Louisiana cuisine. He lived in Lafayette and worked in New Orleans before coming to Cleveland. In answer to our questions, he explained some of the items on the menu: Crawfish Acadian ($14.50) is crawfish etouffee over fried catfish with rice. That's what I had, and it's right up there with the etouffee I've had at the original Don's in Lafayette and the red snapper smothered in crawfish at Rita's in the French Quarter. John had two appetizers, Red Beans and Rice ($3.50) and Jambalaya ($7.50). I had a taste of each and again was struck by how authentically good they were.
"Junior," as his customers called him, turns out to be as knowledgeable about New Orleans music as he is about the cuisine, and the music he played on the CD player was the perfect accompaniment to the food. We were having such a good time that after we finished eating we stayed to listen and talk music and food with him, and we ended up with a stack of CDs on the bar, and I was taking notes on the menu. There was a very friendly neighborhood feel to the place--we also talked to folks who walked up for carryout orders.
I haven't had such good Creole/Cajun food since I left the Gulf Coast thirty years ago.

4 Thank professorlonghair