“The restaurant is very good”
Review of EDWINS Restaurant

EDWINS Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
EDWINS Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #17 of 1,867 Restaurants in Cleveland
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Shaker Blvd.
Description: Steeped in tradition and care EDWINS Restaurant offers seasonal, classic French cuisine in the midst of Cleveland's Shaker Square. The restaurant has a unique mission; to do good and eat well. The charming bar and lounge are a welcoming spot for before and after dinner drinks.
Reviewed February 26, 2014

I've now eaten at this restaurant twice. Finally, a truly excellent French restaurant in Cleveland. It has been a while since this was available. I would have to drive to Erie or Vermillion to get this good of an French experience.

The service is very good. As other reviews had commented, the staff are learning the industry. I had to correct their French a couple of times (my waiter was confusing foie gras with sweetbread), but they really are working hard and doing a very good job.

I am going to talk about both times I visited this place. Once alone and once with my wife.

From the first visit, I had the foie gras appetizer. It truly was excellent. Actually it was the second best I've ever had. The first being at Bernard Loiseau, in Saulieu, Burgundy, France. The third being the French Laundry in Yountville, CA. The perfect preparation--crispy on the outside with just a very slight hint of caramelization, wonderfully sweet and savory on the inside. A classic preparation with all the correct accoutrements. In reality, the biggest difference between Bernard Loiseu's and Edwin's was the quality of the liver. You probably cannot get that quality of liver in the US.

I had a French 75 the first time I was there. Excellently done. Since the first cocktail was so good, I decided to try one that is usually done incorrectly, a Sazarac. The Sazarac was also quite good. When I ate there the first time, I had the sommelier do the wine parings. He was quite competent. The one case where I selected another wine, I had wished I had stayed with his selection. More about that later.

I've had two other appetizers. The vegetable soup is excellent. Very flavorful. Truly excellent soup. I also had the rabbit pie. It was good, though it seemed that something was missing. I am not sure what, but it seemed to need some rebalancing to keep up with the quality of the other dishes.

The sautéed scallops in duck fat was a pleasant surprise. The preparation was different than I expected. I expected a more rich, smooth taste, but the sauce was very bright and citrusy. It was excellent, and I enjoyed the surprise. Unfortunately, it made my more oaky white Burgundy paring not work that well. The more minerally, and fruity sauvignon blanc would have been a much better choice.

The main course for my second visit was halibut wrapped in crispy potatoes served with green beans. The dish was good, but had some issues. The sauce was very tasty, but I would have liked it to be a bit thicker in order to better coat the fish with. There should have been more green beans. There were only 6 on the plate. I rarely complain about volume, but they tasted good. Some more would have been better. Also, the fish was slightly dry on both ends of the piece. The way that the halibut was wrapped created uneven cooking. This needs to be perfected.

The first time, I had the Grand Marnier soufflé with Creme Anglese. It was classic and excellent. Try it when you go there.

The second time I had the creme brûlée. It took a while to get to the table. So much so that they gave me a complementary glass of an excellent sweet sherry. The taste was excellent, especially the custard, but the caramelized sugar wasn't crispy. It was a bit soft--and stringy--though that is too hard of a word. It seems that more caramelization was needed to get the texture correct.

Overall, a very good restaurant with some truly outstanding dishes. I look forward to seeing this restaurant grow and mature.

2  Thank jmk5

Reviewed February 16, 2014

This is a very nice restaurant in Cleveland. The food and wait staff were very good. The cuisine was very good and we enjoyed the dining experience. We would definitely return with friends. The restaurant was a very enjoyable atmosphere.

4  Thank USAWelder
Reviewed January 28, 2014

We had a great time at Edwins. We knew the story, that it is staffed entirely by ex-cons who are learning the industry, which was good because we had 3 different waiters stop by the table, one of whom we had a hard time understanding. BUT - they all had heart, they all did their jobs well, and we absolutely loved it!
Our "main" waiter was very unknowledgeable about the wine selections, but we pointed out which ones we wanted and so it was all good.
The bread was delicious but chilly, and the butter is AMAZING!
I had the rack of lamb special which the owner told us is only offered on the weekends and it was perfectly done and paired with a delicious cous cous.
My wife had the duck, which she loved even though she is not normally a duck fan, and the risotto that was with it was also excellent.
We live in the neighborhood and are so glad that they opened and we can't wait to go back!

2  Thank bobsense
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Atmosphere, food and service were all excellent. Very creative cuisine and well executed. This is certainly one of the best Cleveland restaurants-maybe THE best!

2  Thank Jhkcle1
Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

We stumbled on this French restaurant as a post Christmas getaway! The food was superb, wine excellent, & service attentive. The mission we read after dining and want to share-go and enjoy! The sweetbreads in Pasta sublime; lobster bisque unique. Bon appetit!

2  Thank Linda J