“EDWINS off to a great start!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of EDWINS Restaurant

EDWINS Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
EDWINS Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 1,831 Restaurants in Cleveland
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Shaker Blvd.
Description: Steeped in tradition and care EDWINS Restaurant offers seasonal, classic French cuisine in the midst of Cleveland's Shaker Square. The restaurant has a unique mission; to do good and eat well. The charming bar and lounge are a welcoming spot for before and after dinner drinks.
“EDWINS off to a great start!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

EDWINS Restaurant and Leadership Institute has a two-fold mission. The first is to provide formerly incarcerated men and women an opportunity to learn skills in the culinary arts. The second is to become a world-class establishment that serves French cuisine and provides service to its clientele that is second to none. To do the first while succeeding at the second is the challenge that Brandon Chrostowski and his team have chosen to take on at their Shaker Square establishment.

Occupying the corner of Shaker Square in what used to be the Grotto wine bar, the team at EDWINS has transformed what once felt like a slightly overdone Italian rustic tavern into a chic and sexy brasserie highlighted by three distinct spaces: a main dining room with tables tightly spaced (but not overwhelmingly so) with views of bustling Shaker Square and edged by the bar, a cozy lounge area with a bright pink upholstered couch in front of a warm fireplace, and a more intimate and private space opposite the wine "cellar". The tables were covered neatly by white linen and expertly set by the staff.

The service was sharper than I had expected on my first two visits, first with my wife and two children and the second on date with my wife alone. Of the hiccups we experienced were a near delivery of a dessert meant for another table, a couple audible crashes from the kitchen, and small spill of water as it was initially poured at our table. Other than that, the staff was very attentive as a team, our bread plates were never empty, and the wine suggestions each night were absolutely outstanding. The staff had a strong answer to all of our questions and made us feel comfortable with the "industrial French" cuisine that we were definitely not accustomed to.

Each night after getting help selecting a bottle of wine, we began with a selection of cheeses and came away with each bite thoroughly satisfied. Again, I was pleasantly surprised with the ability and knowledge of the gentleman who had the envious responsibility to acquaint patrons with the variety of the 20+ cheeses that were available that evening. All of the other appetizers we tried in our visits were delightful but the stand-out was the ditalini. Be forewarned however if you choose it, it is not a light dish. Either share it or plan to get a salad as your main entree as my wife did on our second visit.

The main courses were also very well-prepared. My son absolutely loved his braised rabbit and my daughter raved about the roasted chicken. I enjoyed the steak, especially the sauce that accompanied it and the potatoes which were neatly stacked alongside it. The scallops I had on my second visit were truly unique and also full of flavor in an unexpected way. The Salade Nicoise that my wife ordered has to be tried to be believed. I was thankful she let me finish it for her.

Finally, last but not least, the desserts. We were thankful we took our server's advice and ordered the souffle along with our main courses. I don't plan on trying to create a souffle in my own kitchen, and even if I ever do, it is unlikely that I will ever do it as well as the staff at EDWINS. For something else unique, I can also recommend the Napoleon: a flaky, though not terribly complex, pastry.

Overall, I look forward to seeing what Brandon and his staff continue to do. If they are as successful with the first part of their mission as they appear to be with the second, the Cleveland food scene will never be quite the same.

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank Christopher C

Cleveland, Ohio
“Amazing food, inspiring mission!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

Amazing food, enchanting atmosphere, and all with a wonderful mission. Going to any restaurant on opening night can be exciting and challenging at the least, but it was just excitement at Edwin's. The staff in their training program were as professional as any other fine dining restaurant in Cleveland. They made great suggestions and were more than accommodating. The mushroom risotto was delicious and the horseradish salmon was probably one of the best dishes I have ever eaten in Cleveland!!!!! This is a great place all around and should be a must stop for ANYone living in or visiting Cleveland.

1 Thank JamieSeaSull
Cleveland, Ohio
“You have to try EDWINS - "Eat Well. Do Good."”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

EDWINS is an amazing and unique concept: formerly-incarcerated men and women serve upscale French cuisine, as they learn for future careers in fine dining. The food is excellent; as a vegetarian, I recommend the Mackenzie Creamery salad to start, the herb-encrusted salmon or rolled sea bass, and any of the fabulous desserts. Plus, their cheese table is an experience worth coming for all its own. The servers are very personable, and they are so excited to help you. You have to see EDWINS to believe it!

• Visited November 2013