“This is real Italian!”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We have been going to Bruno's for some time now, and have to say that this is the best Italian in the area. The calamari appetizer is just right. Every once in a while you can catch the artichoke appetizer which should not be missed. My husband gets the veal every time he comes here and loves it. I usually stick with a chicken dish of some kind. My son in law gets a sausage and pasta dish. They are all great. The bread here is warm and wonderful. The house salad dressing is really good. But, the star of every meal here is the marinara sauce. This sauce tops everything from some of the meat dishes to the homemade and perfectly done pasta. You will want to sop every bit of it up with your bread. The waitstaff is professional and not pushy. They can actually describe a wine which is something to behold at a lot of restaurants these days. The only thing you have to remember is to make your reservations early. This is a small establishment that fills up quickly. There is no wonder why!

1  Thank miss_patty526

Reviewed August 12, 2013

I have been going to Bruno's for years and felt it was time to put my two cents worth. This is, without a doubt, my wife's and mine, favorite restaurant in Cleveland. Semi-hard to find, but a place you'll go back to over and over again. The food is wonderful, the atmosphere is charming, and Bruno is usually working the room to make sure everyone is happy. His "Linguine alla Pescatore" is to die for!!!!! Great place, for us, to take out of town guests.

1  Thank jamesereynolds
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Went there for dinner with my wife.
Everything was great. The white clam chowder was more like clam bisque - rich with clams and potatoes. I had seafood crepes and they were great. My wife had mussels - many of them and plenty of great homemade pasta.
Marinara sause was one of the best we've had.
Waitstaff was very good.
Will definitely go back!

2  Thank Terence M
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I am very picky with my Italian food. We went in for dinner for 2 on Father's Day with no reservation. It was only a few short minutes until we were seated.

We started with an appetizer of fried calamari. It was lightly breaded and very tender. Tasted fresh and not rubbery, the way calamari can get sometimes.

The house salads were above average and dressings were homemade and quite tasty. Loved the mixed greens instead of just iceberg lettuce. We were also brought home made bread with garlic butter. Warm and fresh.

The main courses took a little time because we ordered right behind a large party. That was not a problem because it gave the meal a relaxed pace, not a rushed feel that you often get in a chain restaurant. I hate when courses pile up a the same time. They were very mindful of that here and I enjoyed it.

I ordered Veal Parmigiana and substituted the side of spaghetti with marinara for a side of linguine with red clam sauce. Presentation was awesome, taste even better! It really was the best veal I have been served in a very long time. Tender, not overbreaded. Plenty of provolone cheese on top and just the perfect amount of sauce. Red clam sauce was very good with lots of perfectly cooked clams in it. I would definitely have a full order of that. I only finished half of the food, and had a wonderful lunch the next day.

My husband had gnocchi in a blush sauce. They were perfect sized and perfectly cooked. The blush sauce was a very good pairing. He of course finished every last bite and soaked the sauce up with the remaining bread.

I do recommend reservations since this is a small seating area. We are told that they are slower on Monday and Tuesday, so that may be a good night to go in without a reservation.

Highly recommended.

2  Thank AngelafromOhio
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Bruno's is a great place for a small group to enjoy great food. The building is quite small, but it gives it a sense of charm and comfortableness. The downside to the small size is my chair was smack in the middle of people and staff passing by and bumping into me each time. I could've done without that. But, the food...that's what really matters...the food! It was very good. We ordered the calamari to start, which was a great choice. I had a pasta with shrimp and it was pretty good, but the others at the table had the pasta w/ clams...YUMMY! I wish I could've ordered the same, but will next time. We ate dinner pretty late, so by the time we were ready for dessert, it was gone! GONE! The desserts are homemade and when they're gone, I guess they're gone. Oh well, that is just one reason to return another time.

1  Thank Swilly_10