“GL Visit”

Ranked #7 of 1,862 Restaurants in Cleveland
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups, Bar scene
Reviewed December 18, 2013

I will admit, I am a GL fan all around. Having lived in Ohio, I got to do a little growing with the company. You know, before four packs were $10 dollars. Anyways, I recently landed in Cleveland and had an opportunity to stop by along the way. I found myself trying desperately to vary from my well trodden path to Dortmunder Gold. I considered Elliott Ness, Conway Ale and Burning River but ended up caving in to the Gold. It was happy hour and that made it even better. I wanted to have supper up by the lake but while here I, again in a weak moment, decided to have a bowl of the cheese soup. I have made this at home but love it here as well. It came with three large pieces of sourdough bread, baked to perfection. I was in heaven. We have been there on special occasions previously. The only beer I don't especially care for is the Christmas Ale. The balance of the beers are too good to opt for a spiced beer (IMO). Keep up the good work GL.

1  Thank M J
There are newer reviews for Great Lakes Brewing Company

Reviewed December 13, 2013

O.K., let me say first that I love amber ales, and if I am in Cleveland, then Elliot and I have a standing date to get together!

Whether you are a fan of the regular line-up, or of one, (or more!), of the seasonal selections there really is something for everyone in the house -- main floor, downstairs, or upstairs. It has been quite some time since I had been upstairs and it has been as dramatically transformed as the basement area.

It is just so comfortable, like being at your favorite auntie's house, that is, if she brewed beer and cooked up a storm. I really do try to not to get the same thing twice, but last night succumbed to having the pretzel chicken. It is probably one of the few things I have eaten there more than once, and never disappoints. Salads are great, pizzas, you name it!

Staffers have been around for a long time, and it shows because they know their stuff. Case in point, our waitperson, Nancy, actually told us a little anecdote about the lamb stew. It is named after one of the Conway's (owners of Great Lakes) and he apparently does not like publicity, so when the menus were printed, he was outta luck with getting his name off of it!

One helpful point to remember if you are meeting folks there: your party will not be seated unless at least half of the total number is present.

Reviewed December 3, 2013

We stopped by the Great Lakes Brewing Company one afternoon while in Cleveland. We were told that it was an excellent place to have a drink. While it's true that they do have a lot of beer, albeit not necessarily great beer, the food was absolutely awful. Neither one of us could finish our meals. We paid $60 for food that wasn't fit to serve at a public school cafeteria. I can assure you that we will never be returning to this place.

2  Thank weary_traveller25
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Been here many times, and has never disappointed me once. They have good beer, including ones that you can't get in bottles at the grocery store. Food is always fantastic, especially the artichoke dip and barley pretzels. The pierogies & brats and mac & cheese are always terrific.

It's a pretty popular place so make reservations ahead of time, or you can always try finding a table in the basement where there's no reservations.

Reviewed December 1, 2013

We were seated in the basement which was a cute pub feel area, wine and beer selections were abundant and the food was great. The server was hustling to keep everyone well taken care of

1  Thank snshn07