“Very good, but very expensive.”
Review of Lucky's Cafe

Lucky's Cafe
Ranked #4 of 50 Dessert in Cleveland
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Chicago vicinity
“Very good, but very expensive.”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We saw Lucky’s Cafe on “Diners, Drive-ins and Dives.” The location is tucked away in a corner of a re-gentrifying neighborhood. The restaurant is small and I could easily imagine that the place would have long waits for service on busier days. There's some outdoor seating that would be a nice option on good weather days. It was moderately busy when we arrived for a late lunch, but were seated immediately. I had a Reuben while my wife tried the Shipwreck skillet. The meals were very good, but also very expensive. Their prices are closer to fine dining than diner. Another reviewer commented that Lucky's is "hipster central." I concur with that observation 100%. And being hip is a good thing when the result is an unconventional, relaxed eatery. But sometimes hip equates to a pretenious staff. Lucky's generally fell on the positive side of that equation, but some of the staff (the hostess) were aloof. All in all, I’d be interested in stopping again to try a breakfast selection, but I know now that I’ll first need to get a home equity loan in order to pay the tab. Did I mention how expensive our meal was?

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank BigTool

Chagrin Falls, Ohio
“Great spot for breakfast or lunch”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

A well. Done, locavore breakfast and lunch spot. The toasted cheese specials are my go-to stand-by. A limited menu but helpful and friendly staff, great drinks and pasties, and something that everyone will like. The soups are always interesting (and work well with my fav toasted cheese!).

Visited July 2013
Urbandale, Iowa
“Unexpected Pleasure”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Overall, my experience at Lucky's was good..but not great. A friend of mine recommended Lucky's knowing that I would be in the Cleveland area. What I can share with you of value is this; don't let the surroundings scare you off. I drove in from the West off of the Ohio Turnpike. Getting to Lucky's was sketchy or a bit rough. However, as you get closer you are welcomed by a quaint little area / village that I normally would not have expected. Lucky's boast the fact that they grow their own herbs and vegetables while purchasing most other ingredients locally. That was appealing to me and I believe it to be true as the garden is outside adjacent to the eating area. I had the Ruben and my friend had the lamb sandwich with chips. Neither thought the portion size to be large. However, both of us agreed that our meals were good. Pricey ($10 -15 ea) for the portion size but good. Our server lacked a personality (nice tattoos) but that's not why I went there. We sat outside at pic-nic-tables, they have an inside too, under a canopy on what was a beautiful day. The ambiance was laid back and casual. One other item worth mentioning is Lucky's check system. Don't expect a tab or check in the normal fashion at the end of your meal. Instead they give you a #. When you are finished you simply take the # inside and settle up then.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank Brian P
Miami Beach, Florida
“Best unique brunch spot in C Town”
Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

Fresh local food made with real butter and whole cream that will tantalize your taste buds. It is so fresh and delicious you can't believe its breakfast food. I highly recommend their baked good items such as waffles but even their toast and butter is a slice of heaven. Also a must try is their pecan bacon.The shipwreck is good but more on the typical side. Its hipster central so if you are uptight and rude stick to the national chains but if you want fresh unique Cleveland food this is the place. No visit to Cleveland is complete without stopping here. To die for.

• Visited August 2013
“The absolute best breakfast I've ever had.”
Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

While visiting different cities, we always try to find those hidden gems for meals. This is one of them in Cleveland. The biscuits and gravy, waffles and pecan crusted bacon were awesome. The service was great. I love the fact that they try to source everything locally. The beautiful herb and vegetable garden on their patio is a true testament. The quality of ingredients make the prices a great value. You can find a cheaper breakfast option, but not a more delicious one.

• Visited August 2013