“Not what I expected”

Lucky's Cafe
Ranked #4 of 49 Dessert in Cleveland
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Ohio
“Not what I expected”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I really don't understand all the hype about this place. We had an out of town colleague that had heard how fantastic this place was so we thought we would include lunch there for him. The atmosphere is quaint and very eclectic. For anyone not familiar with the Tremont area, it is made up of numerous houses that have been transformed into pubs, restaurants, bistros - you name it - they are on every corner. Walking in to Lucky's, you will notice church pews and mismatched chairs in the small eating area. I had a view of their garden area which I really enjoyed. They have gutters attached to the hand painted fence used as flower boxes. Quite unique! I would imagine it is gorgeous in season. They have a limited lunch menu made up of several sandwich choices. I ordered a classic Reuben which came with a pickle and chips (all of the sandwiches come with pickles and chips). The sandwich was just ok. Nothing great. The price was close to $15 for this sandwich which at other restaurants would have been half that price. I thought this place was very pricey for what it was so I would check out the menu before going (add a buck or two to the menu online though). Not bad - just nothing special and definitely not a value.

Seattle, Washington
“A Cleveland Must”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Lucky's Cafe is a definite must while in Cleveland. It has by far one of the friendliest staffs and the menu is incredibly creative and sourced locally where possible. Although the menu was not terribly extensive, each option is unique and covers the usual brunch foods of omelettes, waffles, and sandwiches. The pecan bacon is a must though for bacon lovers as it is out-of-this-world. Also not to be missed are Lucky's special smoothies and any of their baked goods. We sampled a number of muffins and scones at our table and all were fantastic and are made on-site at the restaurant from scratch.

Though the wait can be a bit long on the weekend, Lucky's is a must stop while in Cleveland's incredibly Tremont neighborhood.

Columbus, Ohio
“Well worth the drive from Columbus!”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I saw this on tv and really wanted to try it out first hand!

We woke up on Sunday morning and drove straight up to Cleveland to dine at this restaurant. It was well worth the drive and the wait to eat!!

We had the biscuits & gravy, fantastic!! We also had the reuben, another great meal! The food was fresh and yummy :)

Also the cupcakes are not only moist but are great! I would suggest getting one on your way out for a snack!

“No complaints”
Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

Unique menu items, great service, delicious food. This place was worth the wait. We went for brunch and we got the spatzele special and waffles. It was so good I was trying to finish the meal but was too full. I eat paleo and the cheat was worth it. The customer service was excellent. The entire staff was friendly and efficient. A little pricey for breakfast but worth the money.

Sagamore Hills, Ohio
“Best Breakfast/Brunch in Cleveland. By far.”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

You really can't go wrong with Lucky's. You just can't. Everything is made from scratch. They locally source everything they can during the various seasons of the year. All dishes are made with care and even the amazing hot sauce that I douse my Shipwreck with is made in-house. Yes, people are going to gripe about how tight it is inside, about the wait on the weekends (especially in inclement weather when the outdoor seating isn't an option) but, seriously people! If it weren't amazing, people wouldn't be coming from both the East Side and West Side and all points in between to eat there! Be happy that they continue to crank out dish after dish of amazing food and bring your newspaper...or kindle, or whatever. Settle in for the wait, make friends with your neighbor and unbuckle your belt. It's time for breakfast at Lucky's!

• Visited March 2012