“Disappointing Lunch”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Waitstaff
Fort Collins, Colorado
“Disappointing Lunch”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2012

We ended up at Mi Pueblo for a late lunch while touring University Circle on a recent Saturday. There was only one person in the restaurant when we got there, but a few more tables filtered in after we did. My wife had the Fish Tacos and I had the Chorizo Tostadas. The raw fish had been pinched in the tortillas and then the whole thing had been dunked in the fryer together to cook. This left the fish/tortilla combo dripping in fat, and clamped together such that you couldn't really add the taco "toppings" provided on the side - tomatoes, lettuce, sour cream, etc. The tostadas were nicely presented but the chorizo had no flavor at all. The beans and rice were also lacking in flavor. Service was proficient. Prices were a bit higher than the quality.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank ROCtraveler30

Cleveland, Ohio
“fine for what it is”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2011

pretty good traditional mexican food. nothing out of the ordinary

Cleveland, Ohio
“One of my favorites”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2010

I've always been a big fan of all mexican food. When I moved to Cleveland, a lot of people recommended Mi Pueblo. After going there the first time, I was not impressed. I think I got a chicken burrito or something. I thought it was kind of bland. One of my friends told me I simply got the wrong thing--all of the steak dishes, he said, are very good. He was right. I haven't had a single one I haven't liked. The carne asada mi pueblo and carne adobada are the best, in my opinion. Very flavorful! My friends like the Lomo (hot dish) and the one with steak covered in cheese, peppers, and opinions (I'm forgetting the name). Their chips, salsa (made from scratch), and margaritas are AWESOME. Sometimes we go in the afternoon on Wednesday just for half price margaritas and chips. The soup they give you with each meal is also quite delicious. Overall, the food is fresh, full of flavor, and very authentic. I love it. One review said the food is inconsistent. This is kinda true. It depends which chef is there, I believe. It's always good though, just made with slight variations. I guess this is what happens when restaurants actually make their food from scratch! The wait staff is decent. Some are better than others (I certainly have my favorites). We probably go to Mi Pueblo once a week for lunch...if you are a mexican food fan you MUST go, but I recommend the steak dishes rather than the more bland chicken dishes. Also, my husband gets the tamales every time and swears by them.

1 Thank jh_1041
guadalajara
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“moderately priced restaurant in ucircle that is big on flavor”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2010

i am a fan of mexican cuisine. i currently live in méxico but was born, raised and educated in cleveland. mi pueblo's waitstaff is usually quick. the food is all good-flavor profiles are spot on. i am a big fan of their carne asada dishes, as well as the seafood. burritos are the best in the city, hands down and ok price ($5.50). everytime i return to city, this along with fahrenheit and joe's deli are my go to places.

Cleveland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A Third World Restaurant”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2009

It took an hour to get our food and when the food arrived it was cold. They took our plates back to the kitchen to warm them up. They messed up my children's orders twice. My son started crying at the table because he was so hungry. They didn't even bring out complete orders. My father ordered fajitas and they didn't bring out the tortillas. A couple other dishes came with tortillas, these were never brought out. You get to a point where there is no point in complaining anymore, because your complaints fall on deaf ears and you know it's just time to leave. This whole experience was a complete disaster. There were no apologies, no deductions to the bills, no offers of free dessert , not that I would have staying in there a minute longer. By the way, the heater was broken in the bathroom, and since it was below zero outside, I'm surprised the water didn't freeze in the toilet. You just couldn't use the bathroom, so you had to wait out your long stay there in relative discomfort. The only thing I can compare it to is eating in a third world restaurant. I had a very similar experience in Prague after the Berlin Wall came down. I'm really pretty easy going and not the type to write a review, but this outfit is a mess. DOn't waste your time or money. Taco Bell is better than this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 Thank Red345