“best sushi in town” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cross street: St. Clair Avenue
Fairview Park, Ohio, United States
“best sushi in town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2012

Hands down its the best sushi in town. I always enjoy my night out there. The service is great and the atmosphere is so energizing makes for a great night out on the town.

Visited November 2011

Bay Village, Ohio
“OK”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2012

sushi over priced for quality. nice atmosphere service took too long.

Cleveland, OH
“OK food, overpriced, but you go for the atmosphere....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2012

I should start with the fact that I don't plan to go back. Hopefully, you will read further to see how you feel about it, as everyone is different.
I love a good steak restaurant. I am not afraid to pay a high price for good food. However, the higher the price goes, the more critical I become. I realize that my money pays for not only quality food, but also the atmosphere, the service, the facilities, etc. I ordered the 12 oz. filet mignon, oscar style (a lobster/asparagus cream sauce on top) with mashed potatoes. The price was special at $42. Normally, it would have been $42 for the steak, $9 for the topping and something like $6 for the mashed potatoes, so it was a deal. BUT, it is only a deal if I am actually getting $57 worth of food for $42 - which I did not. The steak was huge (12 oz. is a massive filet) but tough (for filet), even though it was cooked correctly. The mashed potatoes were dry. Overall, that dish was a deal at $29, but not at $42, and certainly not at $57.
I also ordered a bowl of lobster bisque ($8) which was wonderful and well worth the price. My party ordered a sampling of sushi, which was generally well accepted. I am not a sushi fan but I was there for my sister's birthday. One should keep this in mind when reading my review - I know it is called Sushi Rock, but most people consider sushi an appetizer at best. The sushi there was reasonably priced.
We ordered cheesecake, tiramisu, and we were also given a chocolate bread pudding complimentary for my sister's birthday. The cheesecake portion was very large and OK, the tiramisu was OK, and the bread pudding was described by two people in my party as "chocolate blah". Even in our party of 7, we did not finish those three items.
The atmosphere is dark, and for some reason the place smelled like skunk. Now, I realize this may have been a temporary smell from a patron but I was surprised (skunks are not active this time of year) so I thought it was worth a mention in case it is a constant smell. I don't plan to be back to verify.
The service was impeccable. Very professional from the host to the server. The valet service is provided by an outside company that charges $8 at Sushi Rock and $6 across the street.....on this night we found that the guy who was going to park our car was waiting across the street....took our $8, and parked our car across the street in front of the $6 valet parking sign. Funny stuff. Then when we were ready I had to walk outside and stand in the blizzard and wait for the valet to see me from across the street, run over, get the keys and bring the car over. Now, again, this is an outside group, but come on...
The crowd here are primarily twenty-somethings, loud and "look-at-me" conversations and outfits. I didn't fit in. I got the feeling that none of them had enough experience to realize that they were overpaying for the food quality. I'm not sure they cared, as they were clearly there to be seen, not to eat.
My sisters, both in their upper twenties, loved it. Go figure.
So, to wrap up - stinky place, though it was clean, excellent service inside the restaraunt, but mediocre overpriced food. If you are over 30, you have probably had better. If not, head over to XO or Blue Point for amazing food, unless you want the Sushi.

• Visited January 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank avianman
Cleveland, Ohio, United States
“overpriced”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2012

It is overpriced and not very authentic. You pay for atmosphere not for quality of product. There are much better places in Cleveland that serve sushi and based on price...Giant Eagle Sushi is comperable.

1 Thank Alicia M
Mississauga, Canada
“Excellent Sushi..definitely check it out”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2011

My husband and I went to the Beachwood location (next to the Beachwood Place Mall). We didn't have reservations on a Saturday night but we were lucky to get a seat in their back area. It is obvoiusly a very popular place as it was quite busy. So perhaps make reservations.

We had a few different types of rolls - all were very good. I think they have a signature one called Sushi Rock and it was excellent. Portions are good and the quality is very good. Service was very friendly...perhaps a bit slow to get our meal but again it was super busy so I can't complain.

• Visited November 2011