“Great Chinese Food” 5 of 5 bubbles

Good for: Kids, Large groups, Romantic, Families with children
Cleveland, Ohio
“Great Chinese Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Li Wah's is a Cleveland gem. It is very good Chinese food. This is the second time my family, along with a big group, went here for the Chinese new Year celebration. The food was excellent and we got to see the traditional Lion Dance. It is a very large restaurant. Some of our favorites were the Walnut Chicken and the General Tso's Chicken, along with the fried rice and egg rolls.

Visited February 2014

Cleveland, Ohio, Usa
“Good food, average venue”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Li Wah serves authentic Chinese food in a family atmosphere. Located in Cleveland's Chinatown, the food is Cantonese and Mandarin. The ginger crab is excellent, the razor clams with black bean sauce are moist and delicious. The lamb was fair.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank John F
Painesville, Ohio
“Outstanding Dim Sum!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014

I know some people have an issue with this restaurant. Maybe it is the language barrier? I really don't know. I couldn't speak Chinese if I was held at gun point, but I always get what I want. One thing I've learned is that if you are head strong with the people and at least sound like you know what you are talking about, you can get whatever you want in Asiatown. I eat frog a lot at the restaurants, but Americans aren't supposed to. The point is, don't give up. The women operating the steamer carts speak better English then people realize. I have always gotten everything I have ordered even if it was prepared in the kitchen individually. You can also ask any of the waitresses or waiters, they will get you what you need and many of them speak very good English.

Now our recent visit was a huge success. We were a party of 7 trying to get a seat by noon. We accomplished waiting 15 minutes and were seated by 11:55am. The waitress brought out brown tea and I said no, we will only drink chrysanthemum tea. She said ok and brought out the tea I requested. I also ordered fried shrimp balls and 10 minutes later we had fresh ones steaming hot. Like I said, come across positively and you should have a good visit.

Our group had such a good time we plan on going once a month. Our bill was $87.00 before tips. And when you are thru eating, there is always great shopping.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
“Li Wah - Translation...."Hidden Gem" in Cleveland”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2013

As part of our family tradition of Chinese food on New Year's Eve (for good luck), I was looking for an authentic Chinese lunch in the Cleveland area. With both myself and my 17 year old daughter having visited China in the past, we did not think good Dim Sum was available in Cleveland.... until we visited Li Wah. The info and reviews on TripAdvisor were all accurate! Delicious Dim Sum with a great variety! You can get as adventurous as you wish. The Hot and Sour soup was awesome.
As for the service, the Dim Sum carts were always nearby. My daughter's Mandarin proved to be very helpful, as English was not spoken by many of the cart ladies (keep the menu handy for reference). The waiters and waitresses were all very friendly and talkative (I appreciate how they engaged with my daughter as she practiced her Mandarin!)
Great spot in Asia Town! We will be back

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Clevelander5
Cross Junction, Virginia
“Go for dim sum”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

Very good dim sum, maybe even excellent. Among the best dishes were the chicken's feet (unlike many Chinese restaurants, they didn't assume the 'big noses' wouldn't like the less typical dishes) and the more delicate of the dumplings, including rice dumplings with shrimp but with more flavor than most, and some with unique, very nice flavors. The sticky rice was good, though not a stand out and nearly all of the dishes were top notch, including the 'green vegetables' (can't remember which of the greens we tried - they were all called green vegetables in China, even when we asked our young Chinese friends to translate.)

The neighborhood is mostly industrial with housing a block or two over, but don't let that be a turn off, as the restaurant itself is in a mini-mall (Asia Plaza) catering to the Asian community. and the restaurant is not formal but very nice. Dim sum is available every day versus only on weekends.

• Visited August 2013