“Most hospitable people ever (on top of the best sushi ever)”
Review of Sushi 86

Sushi 86
Ranked #183 of 1,908 Restaurants in Cleveland
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Some things in life just stand out above everything else. Sure, you can get a great meal at hundreds of different places in the Cleveland area. But there isn't a single business that can come close to the hospitality Chef Ben and his mom Rachel can provide at Sushi 86.

I would STRONGLY recommend taking their sushi class because A - it's fun, B - you get a chance to get to know the great people in charge of this place, and C - you get your hands on the individual ingredients that make up all of their incredibly delicious selections.

That was me and my wife's first experience at Sushi 86. We got to see the passion that Chef Ben has for his craft and it shows not only in his attitude, but in the FRESHNESS of the ingredients that he uses. We've been to several area sushi restaurants and nothing has tasted as fresh as this place.

Anyways, about 5 months after the sushi class, we stopped in again for lunch (we don't live near this place, so that's the reason for the big gap in visits). As we took our seats, we were almost instantly recognized by Chef Ben and Rachel. We were blown away that they remembered us from the sushi class. It really shows that they care about their patrons.

Then to top off the two fantastic experiences at Sushi 86, Rachel was so incredibly kind and willing to help me plan a surprise 30th birthday party fo my wife (yesterday, Sat Feb 23rd). Not only was she happy and willing to help plan and cater, she made arrangements to provide non-sushi options for the people in my party that weren't sushi eaters, without hesitation and with no reservations.

There aren't even enough kind words out there for me to use to properly portray the unbelievable service this restaurant provides.

And don't let me forget to lavishly praise the food. Because let's face it, the service can be fantastic but if the food is no good, why bother? As I stated above, what makes Sushi 86 standout in my opinion is the freshness of the ingredients. The superior flavor and quality can be traced back to that. My favorites are the BLT roll (bacon really does make everything better) and the simple but incredibly tasty avocado roll. If you have room for it, you must order the mochi ice cream. It's one of the smallest yet most satisfying desserts I've had.

Again, I can't praise this place enough. Do yourself a favor though and DON'T take my word for it. Get down there as soon as you can and find out for yourself how great this place is.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

Atmosphere - sterile and white everywhere but very clean!

Miso Soup - Hot and delicious and free when dining in!

Sushi - perfect temp, cut, presentation!

Value - Great for the portion size.

I love this place and would suggest if you are in the Cleveland area stop by and grab a bite! You won't be disappointed

Reviewed September 5, 2012

No need to go all the way over to the warehouse district to sushi rock. This little gem is on prospect in the colonial arcade. They used to be on Public Square, but moved about a year ago. Sushi is great. You can also choose brown rice sushi (for you health nuts). The service is great. If you don't like something, they usually will fix you something else. At lunch time, get there early as it fills up fast.

1  Thank sprucecreekfly
Reviewed May 17, 2012

This place is a gem. Very minimal furniture and decor and it works with the food. The servers are excellent and the sushi is very fresh and clean. Really enjoyed it.

It was suggested by the server that we try the Mochi and it was sooooo good! Suggest the Red Bean and then Green Tea.

Extremely reasonable price!

1  Thank Anne M
Reviewed November 3, 2011

I was staying at the Marriott next door for 3 months this summer and somewhat adopted Sushi 86 as my "3 times" a week supper place. The place starts with fantastic service, they are willing to put together anything that might not already be on their 4 different menus (sushi, vegetarian, vegan, gluten free). I would simply call up and ask for a spicy mix of whatever and I was pleasentely surprised every time. The sushi chef is puts together some wonderful works of art that taste great!

1  Thank bkmmtl

Been to Sushi 86? Share your experiences!