“Cleveland as a Steakhouse.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of John Q's Steakhouse - CLOSED

John Q's Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Scenic view, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: West 3rd & Rockwell
Transit: Tower City Mall directly across from restaurant has a rapid stop. In addition all bus routes access downtown.
Cleveland, Ohio
“Cleveland as a Steakhouse.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

This City has many more expensive and exotically presented places to get a good steak than John Q's. In reality, the steaks served elsewhere are really no better, the service is no more attentive and most alternatives lack the old school Cleveland undercurrent of "we've been here, we'll be here" that I enjoy at John Q's.

John Q's is definitely a Cleveland thing. I'm passionate about all things Cleveland because I'm not from Cleveland, and it kills me to see how painfully little credit the city gives itself. John Q's to me, is a bit like Cleveland as a steakhouse.

Sure, Its a little bit rough around the edges when you compare it to, say, a Mortons - a chain that's now quietly backing off some of the elements that made it the standard by which others were judged. But even John Q's staunchest fan will probably acknowledge that the brass could use a polish here and there, maybe they should ditch the paper table cloth covers and it could be time to seriously consider installing an elevator / rope ladder / salaried sherpa down to the bathroom.

to be brutally honest, there's more than a hint of faded glory going on here - and its not just the Kosar jersey in the lobby.

All that being said, the bottom line will (and should) always be the food - and its really solid.

Good execution on the steaks, though compared to "most" steakhouses, they overcook in my opinion (its not rocket science to overcome, just order a shade lighter than you would elsewhere....)

I enjoy the inclusion of a vegetable and salad within the price of the entree and I particularly liked James our waiter who struck precisely the right balance between service and conversation. Potatoes were appropriately football sized and decently done while desserts were an unexpected treat - the apple walnut concoction is a bit of a gem, truth be told.

So, price-wise it beats its competition closer to tower city. It's located in a rapidly improving public square with no more than a brisk 5 minute walk to the Casino and there's plenty of reasonably priced parking.

If you enjoy the city of Cleveland and you're a little jaded by some of the sillier pricing around the "high end" steakhouses, I would recommend John Q's as a quirky, satisfying choice.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Ohio
“Quintessential steakhouse”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

New Years Eve and we arrive 30 minutes early for our 8:30 reservation. The hostess didn't blink an eye and stated that she could seat us right away; we're off to a good start. We only waited moments for our server to stop by and to bring our drinks. We decided to skip the appetizers as they seemed a little pedestrian; calamari, spinach dip, shrimp cocktail, etc. and moved right to dinner, which was a medium rare monster ribeye. The temp on the steak was beautiful and a side of Bernaise sauce added a creamy, tart note. The sides were again the usual, but the baked potato was serviceable. We finished our meal with a brownie sundae and coffee as my husband likes a chocolaty bite. It was an ok version but as the brownie was ice cold, it really wasn't what it could be. Throughout the meal, the service was impeccable. I would recommend the restaurant for a celebration dinner as the prices are a bit high for your everyday restaurant experience.

1 Thank laadragon
Cleveland
“Good Social Place”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

Really good food here, I personally enjoy the social aspect of the atmosphere...I come in as one and leave with a group menu has a lot of options so be prepared to go over many options about 20x before choosing what you want..

Brook Park, Ohio
“VERY Dissappointed!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

We took my son here to celebrate his 16th birthday so it was a very special occassion.We use to celebrate all our special events here years ago but with their very high prices we could no longer afford it.Their cheapest steak is $25.00 and they go as high as $45.00 for a Porterhouse Steak so it is for very special occassions now.They also have other choices besides steak on the menu but most of their entrees are very pricey.The restaurants decor has not changed in 18 years and it is rather run down inside (the bathrooms are in the basement so not handicapped accessible and were disgusting in condition and cleanliness).The servers use to dress nicely and give phenominal service but now wear jerseys on sporting event days.The ceasar salad was not very good and contained rusty lettuce.We ordered a stuffed mushroom appetizer (4 mushrooms for $7.95) and the cheddar cheese was overpowering and had little taste beyond the cheese.The steaks were prepared to order but tasted no better than Texas Roadhouse or Longhorn Steakhouse.The restaurant was filled with loud,drunk,and vulgar patrons who swore and talked about their sexual fantasies at top volume.They do have a seperate bar area and dining room area but heavily intoxicated people were seated in the dining room.None of the servers made any attempt to quiet the patrons or ask the drunks to not be vulgar.When I went to get the manager they had to search for her and when I told her of our concerns and dissatisfaction she made no attempt to remedy the situation nor did she go back to the table to apologize or even offer my son a dessert or cake to celebrate his birthday.This was once a fine dining restaurant with phenominal food and service but we will NEVER go back here again and I would NEVER recommend this place to anybody again.I have had the management at so called low end eateries go from table to table making sure evryone was happy but this place apparently only caters to drunk tailgaters.Our bill for 5 people which included 1 person ordering a cheeseburger and fries and another only getting a salad our bill was $200.00 and nobody ordered any alcohol either.I wish we had taken my son somewhere else to celebrate as this experience was a terrible one on what we had hoped would be a memorable 16th birthday celebration.

• Visited December 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Kim T
Cleveland, Ohio
“Go during the Holidays to enjoy public Square lights!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

Just went last night and the views of this restaurant of the Public Square lights are fantastic! Go during the Holiday season for the outdoor light display and a nice meal. The decor in this restaurant is old school, which actually adds to it's relaxed "olden day" charm. Make sure to peruse the sports memorabilia on the walls and tables. Food was good, had a 10oz. Steak with blue cheese & wine sauce. My table enjoyed sausage filled pepper, crab cake & onion ring apps. All main menu items $20 or more, except burgers that I also hear are very good. Overall nice experience!