“Westside Cleveland Old Reliable”

Minh-Anh Vietnamese Restaurant
Ranked #152 of 1,884 Restaurants in Cleveland
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Lunch
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Just minutes from Pubic Square in downtown Cleveland, Minh Anh has been serving great food at great prices for almost 30 years. It's a casual neighborhood sort of place but don't let the ambience deceive you: this is some of the best food in Cleveland. It's small and when crowded it can get noisy, but if you hit it at the odd time that there is a wait (only a couple times over dozens of visits) don't give up. The food is worth it.

I've had about half of the extensive menu at some time or another and it has never disappointed. For several years I was so smitten by the egg rolls vermicelli that I couldn't get past them. Then I went on a crepe kick. My partner still hasn't gotten past the crepes. She loves them. The soups are superb, but even the small bowl is a meal by itself.

Service is usually great, but because they are small they sometimes get overwhelmed. Sip your tea, watch the fish, and chill out. The food will be fresh and tasty. Dinner for two (and much more than you should eat at a sitting) is consistently under $30, and if you are on a tight budget you can fill up two people for under $20. Remember this is for some of the very best in Cleveland.

Although there are several excellent Asian restaurants in Cleveland, this is the one we return to most often.

1  Thank saintsday

Reviewed April 17, 2013

This is a small local restaurant - somewhat loud - everyone seemed to be really enjoying the food. My dish was excellent as well as several others in our group. The servings were quite large (ended up eating 2 extra meals from the take home). Service was quick and the servers were very pleasant. The decor needs updating as well as the acoustics but other than that, I would go back a few times a year. Prices were most reasonable. A must for someone who likes good food and isn't too picky about the decor.

1  Thank lov2travel51-8
Reviewed February 17, 2013

This is a small restaurant, but the food more than makes up for it. I love eating here anytime I'm in the neighborhood, and I've never heard anyone say anything bad about their meals.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

We wanted Pho and landed up walking into Minh-Anh. 5 minutes later we walked out with Pho to go and it heated up very nicely at home. We added our own Sriracha, but the jalapenos added a nice amount of spice. The service was so fast and efficient that I felt obligated to tip the hostess/waitress. They do have their own parking in the back. The next time you are feeling Pho, please go with Minh Anh. You shalln't be disappointed.

1  Thank 19JohnR
Reviewed December 12, 2012

If you are looking for fancy decor and obsequious service, don't come here. If you are looking for great food at a fair price, eat here at one of my favorite restaurants in the city.

Consistency is hard in the restaurant business and Minh Anh over many years and dozens of visits has never disappointed. It's small so at peak hours you may wait a few minutes for a table, but be assured that the food is worth it. You will likely notice a fair number of Asian families unlike some of the glitzier C-Town Asian restaurants. Take it as a good sign.

If you order one of the soups, be advised that the small bowl is a meal. The portions of everything are generous and lighter eaters may want to share a dish. I have a hard time following this advice since I like the fresh taste of everything I've ever tried and my wonderful girlfriend can demolish a deluxe crepe minus the pork with no help.

Eggrolls are excellent and if you really like them try the eggroll vermicelli with lots of fresh veggies and an excellent sauce. If you want to heat anything up, there is Siracha on the tables. Meat eaters (like me) who don't keep kosher may want to try the pork spinach. Vegetarians also have a wide selection and I really like their tofu.

While you are in the neighborhood, just a few blocks up the street on the other side is the Happy Dog, a neighborhood dive bar that serves kosher hot dogs with dozens of different toppings and sometimes features members of the Cleveland Orchestra playing anything from jazz to classical. The music here defines eclectic because the next night may be a noise band.

If the Happy Dog doesn't suit you, head north on W. 58th and a few blocks up on the right you'll find the Parkview Nite Club. Most of Cleveland's best blues acts are Parkview regulars. If you are still hungry, try the deep fried asparagus.

1  Thank saintsday