“Good and plentiful European cuisine”

Frank Sterle's Slovenian Country House
Ranked #914 of 1,875 Restaurants in Cleveland
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We sought out the Slovenian House after reading about it online. The place was about what we expected...huge, full of old-style decorations and staff, lots of older people among the clientele, and a polka band. The portions were immense, which was also not a surprise, but the food was very tasty and we enjoyed our meal. The staff was very friendly and the band was quite good too. We enjoyed watching some of the old-timers dance. No real surprises here, but worth a visit.

4  Thank MandoDave

Reviewed April 11, 2013

Sterles changed owners and Im really sad to say I will never be going back again. My family, friends and myself have given it a shot a few times and its just bad. The food is completely different, the paprikash is not what it was and the rest of it is just stupid. I can tell the cooks are not the same and the ingredients are all changed. I understand updating to attract a younger crowd but man they screwed up a good thing. Ive been going there my entire life!
I've found a new place for our schnitzel and all our customer lunches, we bounce around between some other classic spots. Our local customers that also went to Sterles on a regular basis don't like it anymore either, sad.

4  Thank IVMARI
Reviewed March 30, 2013

We have been to Sterle's in the past and really enjoyed the experience, and decided to see what the establishment was like under new ownership. I was aware that some of the more recent reviews were critical of some aspects of service/value/cost. Four of us went to dine at 4PM on a Friday and were seated promptly (we were the only patrons in the restaurant).

Service: Prompt, friendly and attentive, and was the only bright point of the experience.

Menu: Limited to several entree items ranging from $15 to $20, which I considered expensive from the descriptions.

Food: We ordered three chicken paprikash/spaetzles and one cod/potato pancake/slaw. The paprikash was presented in a deep dish of spaetzles covered with paprikash, which lacked visual appeal and flavor - not worth the price. The cod/potato pancake was average but a bit greasy, also not worth the price. Apple strudel was given a try, judged average in taste, but at $5 was not worth the cost.

Value: Poor. Better food, value and experience can be had at other establishments, and sad to say - we do not plan to return.

Overall: While the restaurant was clean and service was above average, the food and value are not up to par (understand we did not stay for the band/music/dancing if any that was scheduled for friday night). My impression was the ownership was more intent on highlighting the bar capability and menue at the expense of the food menu. I have seen this trend before and it is sad to see such a Cleveland landmark go through this.

3  Thank jmyers1814
Reviewed March 10, 2013

New owners had better take a look at the food and the service. Service was poor to below average. Very slow and not attentive to the customers. Schnitzel was good. Sausage was ice cold and the sauerkraut was luke warm. Paprikash was only okay and also luke warm. People at the register were talking about how the soup had also been disappointing and about the service. One lady said she had been coming there for decades qnd she said she was disappointed. Sausage is definitely not Slonvenian sausage. Go to Raddells and see the real deal.

1  Thank 213richard
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We had a most enjoyable lunch at Sterle's Country House Restaurant. The Eastern European comfort food is very good. We both had their Weiner Schnitzel entree with great chicken soup. Portions were generous.
The space is minimalist basic and very clean. It is nice to see that the new owner renovated the restaurant.
Weekday luncheon pricing is extremely attractive.

3  Thank bfg1943