“Favorite Italian restaurant in Cleveland”
Review of Johnny's Bar

Johnny's Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Johnny's Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #135 of 1,881 Restaurants in Cleveland
Cuisines: International
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed December 19, 2012

We've eaten here many times in the last 20 years. Always our first choice for a special Italian meal. We love their outdoor patio with the bocce ball court. Have had several wonderful summer meals out their, ending the evening with a cocktail and a game of bocce with friends. One of our favorite memories. The food choices are wonderful. Any pasta or veal and their hot peppers. Love it!

Reviewed December 12, 2012

I taught the reviewer Yeaux everything he knows, even though he is the smartest person I have ever met. He and I meet for 1 week in NYC during the summer, families permitting such, We enjoy the very BEST restaurants, taverns, bars, wines, food, and adult straight scenes in the City. We are lifelong friends and he has taken me to Johnny's twice. It is a nonpareil-better than the best of NYC, which is what i taught him or at least brought to his awareness several years ago. So, I say Johnny's interesting decor and location are a variation of the theme of Johnny's exquisite dining. I am shocked that only 60's% "recommend" Johnny's. Either it must have been a "bad night" for those people or they are sans sophisticated taste. RR Sport

Reviewed December 11, 2012

Since we retired, we have been going to NYC for the last ten years, sampling the NYT three and four star restaurants. Johnny's on Fulton is better than any of them. If you disagree, try the veal in cream Madeira sauce with shiitake mushrooms and then tell me that. The decor and service is strictly Cleveland, but the food is unparalleled.

2  Thank yeaux
Reviewed December 10, 2012

I always love dining at this place it is always a special treat and they have never let me down! Located between I-90 and 71 quick and easy to get there but you will be in the inner city of Cleveland just outside of downtown. The restaurant has a private fenced in parking lot. The building is the shiny star in the neighborhood. Lace cafe curtains set the mood. The interior is richly decroated and the atmosphere is vibrant. The food is spectacular! Known for their veal chops especially their stuffed chops--pricey but worth it. The duck appetizer with walnuts and cherry sauce is one of my favoirtes. My companion had the rib eye special, the sauce and meat were excellent. All dinners come with a choice of salads. The service is always top shelf. Great for speical occasions and romantic dinners.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Johnny"s on Fulton is a place to dine not just eat. If your looking for a fast or cheap this is not the place. Johnny's is towards the upper end of the pricing scale in Cleveland but you get what you pay for. This is a classic style bistro where you won't find the techno music or dark room vibe of a contemporary downtown restaurants. What you will find is a decor, menu and level of service in line with classic dining experience found in Europe. The menu provides a number of meat and seafood dished that are freshly prepared and perfectly cooked, most served with sauces layered with flavor, all combining to the classic rich and hearty flavors found in France and Italy.

During our recent visit, we had the duck breast appetizer (an almost daily non-menu item that can also be done as an entree). The duck has a green peppercorn crust and is seared to a perfect medium rare and served with a wine reduction with dried cherries. For entrees we tried the Italian Feast, a blend of Scampi, Shrimp, Scallops and Mussels with Marinara Sauce over Linguine and the Medallions of Veal Rossini with Shiitake Mushrooms and Foie Gras over Braised Spinach with Cabernet Wine, Thyme and Demi Glace. Flavors were spot on, food was served at the proper temperature. Veal was tender and the seafood moist and fresh not dried out from overcooking or heat lamps.

Nice wine list and our Buckeye Vodka Dirty Martinis were better than I've had at other highend bars and restaurants.

Johnny's is not a large space so tables are at a premium. Reservations are a good idea without a reservation be prepared to wait, although they do their best to accommodate those without reservations. During warmer weather alfresco dining is available in the courtyard.