“Casino buffet is outstanding”

JACK Cleveland Casino
Ranked #16 of 187 things to do in Cleveland
More attraction details
Owner description: Originally recognized as Horseshoe Casino Cleveland, we opened as Ohio's first full-service casino inside the historic Higbee Building in downtown Cleveland, OH in May 2012. Adding to the city's impressive sports, entertainment and cultural attractions, JACK Cleveland Casino welcomed more than give million guests to the casino in its first year of operations. The $350 million gaming destination employs 1,600 team members and features 1,600+ slot machines 89 table games and a large Poker room; along with lounges, a buffet restaurant and a three-outlet food court. JACK Cleveland also has partnerships with a dozen local restaurants and three downtown hotels. During construction the development created nearly 2,000 construction jobs.
Cleveland, Ohio
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Casino buffet is outstanding”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

OK, let me say straight out that I am a "super-user" at the Horseshoe as I am a poker room regular who plays at least 4x a week. Which means I have been to the dinner buffet at least 20x. It is always a fine experience by my lights.

In September and October the Horseshoe has had an outstanding promotion: free buffet after "30 minutes of play and 30 Tier credits". That means 2 hours in the poker room (17 credits/hour) gets a free buffet.

If you are expecting Vegas-style unlimited crab legs, you won't get that here. But chose correctly and your experience will be more like the high end buffets like the Wynn and Cosmopolitan: outstanding, delicious chef specialties on small plates.

Let me rhapsodize about some of the Horseshoe touches. The Faroe Island salmon is superb: this week I've had it with a rapturous hollandaise, a sweet-and-sour glaze with pineapple, and a Dijon mustard sauce over wild rice. All month one of the "Shuffle" features has been enormous shrimp cocktail, the kind so big it looks like langoustine. Total wow. Steamed mussels are prepared in various broths, all good. The beef short ribs over mashed potatoes are terrific. And the regular smoked pork ribs are so good you will never see me at a rib joint in the near future. The shrimp risotto with wild mushrooms is as good as in any high end Italian restaurant, and the au gratin potatoes just kill.

The Asian station rocks. This is the only casino buffet I've ever been to where the food tastes like it came from real Asian restaurants and not the mall food court. Spicy Vietnamese beef is spicy, Szechuan green beans are delicious, there is chicken teriyaki, good shrimp, even kim chee.

I have vegetarian friends and there is tons for them to choose from. I hear the seasonal pumpkin ravioli is divine.

At the carvery try a small piece of game hen -- it's succulent. Yesterday I decided to try a small piece of fried chicken, which was fantastic.

The salads are top notch. There is a BLT chopped salad, a roasted beet salad with goat cheese, a classic iceberg wedge with blue cheese, and a kickass spinach salad with heirloom tomatoes. Last night there was an arugula salad to die for, loaded with blueberries, raspberries, and giant blackberries.

The desserts are good, and there is a fantastic gelato bar. I am limiting sugars, so I get a half-scoop of the no-sugar added chocolate which is dark and creamy.

Postprandial coffees are fantastic, thanks to the Douwe Egbert coffee ground and brewed one cup at a time. Go to the dessert station so you can add a little whipped cream -- it's as good as the whipped cream we had in Belgium, which is my benchmark.

2 Thank herone

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Front Royal, Virginia
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Great fun and good food!”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Won many times on the slots and the casino buffet was excellent! By getting a player's card, earned discounts on buffet dining. Every server I had was friendly and efficient. Great food and reasonable prices. Buffet is terrific because you can get what you want.

1 Thank Caroline C
Seville, Ohio
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“gorgeous”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

I was reading some reviews on here saying this was not an attractive casino...I was in awe when I entered the casino for the first time. It is gorgeous and everyone was very friendly. We also ate at the Casino buffet, wow it was so good.

Visited June 2012
1 Thank jesusinside620
Friendswood, TX
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Pay for Parking?”
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Parking at casinos in Pennsylvania and West Virginia is easy and free (even in Pittsburgh!). Here it's a hassle because you have to go through a complicated validation process. So if you're from Youngstown or Warren, head north, east or south. Just don't go west.

2 Thank JimmyEv
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Ok place”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

It was in good location for us since we stayed at the Residence Inn which is a block or two. Saturday night October 6th was busy but I so enjoyed the fact that NO ONE WAS SMOKING at least on the first floor so I was so happy not to stink of cigs. Unfortunately, on my way out the door I tripped and fell face first into a outside ashtray ( talk about bad karma) the security guys were really nice and helped me out. Security is fine - the walk back was not scary at all. The place is really pretty but sorry guys..... Outside of Vegas and Conneticut nothing beats the Rivers Casino in Pittsburgh - that is a great casino (only smokey). Would not go out of my way to go back.

1 Thank Kevin G