“Don't expect much when you stay here and you won't be disappointed”

InterContinental Hotel Cleveland
Ranked #4 of 38 Hotels in Cleveland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Don't expect much when you stay here and you won't be disappointed”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

My very, very pregnant daughter and I arrived at this empty hotel around 12:30 on Saturday after a 6 hour flight in order to attend a 1pm funeral and memorial service. We were told our room wasn't ready and we could sit in the lobby until 3pm. I explained that we wanted to freshen up after the flights in order to attend the services - the clerk seemed dumbfounded. I, again repeated the desire and she offered an alternative room (suite) at a higher price. We accepted the offer, having no choice. Suite, it was not (sour would've been more appropriate), just a plain old room with less amenities that the one we'd reserved.

Later that evening, we went to dinner in the restaurant. Another disappointment - restaurant staff we very pleasant but the food was awful.

On check-out the next day, I shared our concerns with the manager and her response was like, 'yeah' that the way it goes. Couldn't believe it.

On check out the next dayThe hotel staff was very rude, restaurant staff very friendly but cuisine lousy - guess that's why it was empty.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel!!!
1 Thank elt28970
kknoll, Manager at InterContinental Hotel Cleveland, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Dear elt28970,

Thank you for bringing all these issues to my attention. I can imagine how frustrating this was during a time of grieving and how unsympathetic our staff appeared to be. Please understand that while the hotel appeared to be empty, we experienced lots of guests departing the hotel prior to your arrival. Our housekeeping department needs to be able to get all rooms clean and inspected for all of our guests’ arrivals by 3pm. While the front desk offered a solution; I realize this was not your choice. Please accept my apologies for all the displeasure you experienced during your short stay with us.

I hope we can regain your trust in us again should you travel to Cleveland again and give us another opportunity to show you we are the best option in Cleveland.

Business Travel Sales Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Korean first
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed October 13, 2012

It is very important for us to let you know that Antoinnette Peterson, Monica and Manyia made our stay very comfortable even on the darkest days when I did not know what the outcome of my husband's health was to be. Thanks God, my husband did very good. These ladies made everything they could to make me feel better. Antionnette, Monica and Manyia , keep it up. C. Colon. My Husband's name : Luis F. Colon Room 1419.

Room Tip: My only suggestion is to make the upgrade club lounge menu more diverse. Nevertheless, it was good...
Dear Luis F C;

Thank you for taking the time to recognize the ladies in our Club Lounge that made your stay memorable! Antoinnette, Monica and Manyia have all recieved accolades for the wonderful support and genuine care they showed toward you during a difficult time.

Again thank you.
Reviewed September 30, 2012

The hotel had excellent service.Was very pleased with everything.They have the most comfortable pillows and bed.The meals served durning the conference was excellent ,servers were great.Front desk staff very helpful and taxi service also great

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
kknoll, Manager at InterContinental Hotel Cleveland, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Dear Rod26,

Thank you for sharing your experiences of the hotel during your 3 day conference. We are happy you were pleased with everything.

We certainly look forward to having you as our guest again.

Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed September 23, 2012

First of all location is AWESOME, from a business standpoint the Cleveland Clinic is a great location, the clinic probably has hundreds of people a day come in whether it be students, patients, doctors anything so it makes sense. The rooms are awesome, the service is ok, its professional but not overly friendly. The room service wasn't as pricey as I thought it would be, the food was pretty good and came to us relatively hot with everything we asked for exactly how I asked for it.

The other reviews about the fridge charging you when you move items, that is everywhere you go that has a fridge like that. I was only here for about 8 hours but I enjoyed my stay and will try to stay here again the next time I am in town.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Anand P,

We would love to have you as our guest the next trip to Cleveland. Thank you for sharing your experiences of the hotel during your recent stay. We are happy you were pleased with everything.

cleveland
Reviewed September 20, 2012

this hotel is not in the center of town, but it is close to botanical gardens, symphony, and lilttle italy. Cars are readily available to take you downtown to the casino and ballparks, rock and roll hall of fame and science museum.
security is unsurpassed.
Sushi is delicious.

Room Tip: request club floor
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
kknoll, Manager at InterContinental Hotel Cleveland, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Dear janetCleveland,

Thank you for sharing your weekend experience at the hotel and we are thrilled you enjoyed all the attractions near the hotel.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 13, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at the hotel while visiting Cleveland for a few nights while we checked out the city. Although the hotel was really nice looking and the room was fairly large, everything else was kind of a bust.

1) We waited 45 minutes for forks to be brought up to our room. Forks!
2) Our fridge provided no personal space to put our left over food so it spoiled. Not to mention we were automatically charged for removing items (and not consuming them) when we tried to make room after 30 seconds and the fridge wasn't even room temperature. I'm not even sure it worked as we tried to fiddle with it and nothing happened.
3) We were charged a parking fee of $15 when we never parked at the hotel but across the street at the Cleveland Clinic.
4) We got woken up at 8:30AM on our check out day for room service. Then she came back again at 9:30 and 10:30. Check out was at 11.

All in all, not the best experience we could have had in Cleveland. At least their baseball diamond is beautiful!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Ashley F,

I am sorry to hear your experience at the hotel was disappointing. I have shared your comments with the managers to improve upon our customer service levels. I also want to thank you for bringing to our attention the issue not being able to keep perishable items cold. Our minibar is not a fridge and we need to develop a better way to communicate the hotel has mini refrigerators available upon request.

I hope the next time you travel to Cleveland you will give us another opportunity.

Again thank you.
Georgetown, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed September 9, 2012

I spent a lot of money on a hotel that wasn't a luxury to stay in. The hallway always smelled like body odor and the carpets in the halls were absolutely filthy. There was an extra charge for EVERYTHING. Room service got delivered whenever the staff happened to feel like bringing it up. Whatever you do, don't wait until you're hungry to order!
If you need to be near the Cleveland Clinic then this hotel is convenient. That's its only benefit. Otherwise, look around for something more cost effective, cleaner and more accommodating.

Room Tip: Floors higher in the building the the noise of the helicoptors landing on the hospital roof at all h...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Hotel Cleveland, responded to this review, September 23, 2012
Dear gps1265,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I am pleased that you found our location convenient enough for your needs. I want to assure you our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. Please accept my sincerest apology for falling short of your expectations on this day. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Pam G.