“Worth the Trip” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of West Side Market

West Side Market
Ranked #3 of 175 things to do in Cleveland
More attraction details
Owner description: Built in 1912, this thriving public market offers fresh produce, meat, dairy products and a delicious variety of prepared foods.
Virginia
61 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 111 helpful votes
“Worth the Trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

If you're visiting Cleveland and are remotely a foodie, than this is a must see for you. One building houses the produce, which at this time of year, doesn't vary much from stall to stall. We bought some mixed dried fruit at Mena's which was a big hit. I've never seen dried kiwi or starfruit, but those were among the selections. It turns out the kiwi is excellent.
The second building houses meats, pastries and whatever else can't be called produce. Within the stall selection is a creperie (pretty good), a gyro stand (huge line), and a stall that sells a wide selection of pasties (fantastic buttery crusts). Those are just about your only choices for walk around food. If you want to sit while you eat, there are some stairs leading to bleachers on one side of the building.
You'll see the real ethnic flavor of Cleveland with the wide variety of sausages and pierogis. The meats looked delicious and I only wish I had this place as my grocery store. There is a metro station across the street, so there's no need to drive, although we did. On the holiday Monday in early afternoon there was enough parking as people came and left. By the time we did leave, it was "make a deal" time for the produce area. Some of the stands in the meat area had already shut down and/or the supply was waning. They open at 7AM so I'd go early and grab a pastry and walk around. It's a fun way to spend a couple of hours.

1 Thank VEC24

• Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Ohio City, Ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great spot to shop.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

Whenever I get the chance I go here to get some fresh produce and a few tasty bites along the way while I'm shopping. I love the buzz of the place and always manage to find some things you just don't see in regular stores. The coffee shop is one not to miss.

Visited January 2014
Long Island City, New York
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 85 helpful votes
“Not worth the trip to the Market, but the neighbourhood was nice”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014

This is something of a dirtier version of a Whole Foods with small independent stalls shucking their wares. You can come here to eat while you walk (Noodlecat has noodles and steam buns, there is Greek and other Mediterranean food, plenty of nuts or jerky for snacks, and candy at the end) but it's crowded, much smaller than you'd expect from the internet reviews, and most of the booths look like each other without a whole lot of personality. The best part of this spot is that you can swing by if you want some Amish cage free double yolk eggs, but it's not itself really worth the trip. The nice thing is that there is a Belgian style beer shop next door with decent food and a great beer selection including many hard-to-find ales on tap for a little more than the typical bottle price (i.e.: Delirium), a cute used book shop, a few coffee shops etc. I'd spend about two hours walking up and down the surrounding streets but couldn't find a way to kill more than about 15 minutes in the West Side Market itself.

2 Thank Drerinny
Ohio
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“WONDERFUL”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014

The best time ever! Such a great experience. Great food great place to shop and just grab a bite to eat. Oh the coffee shop inside is the best! I buy extra but I end up giving it away...because everyone wants it!

Visited December 2013
Amherst, NY
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Neat to walk through”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014

Hey vendors, smile and enjoy the customers! We went to the crepe maker for lunch, very surly, and my crepe was burnt, so didn't even finish it. My husband said his was okay, but nothing special. It was fun to watch him make them, though. We then went to Cake Royale for a Monk, their specialty, and they where already sold out. Disappointed, I looked in the case and asked for a Bailey's cannoli. The one in the case had chocolate dipped ends, mine arrived without the chocolate. I pointed this out, she asked if I wanted it with chocolate, I said yes, she turned around grumbling loudly, and gave me a Bailey's chocolate dipped. It was fun walking around to see the various meat and dessert vendors, but not one had a smile. Too bad! They could learn a lot from the Pike market in Seattle!

1 Thank showingmydog