“Are you kidding??”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: East 6th
Transit: Euclid corridor line just a few short steps away.
Description: Chef was runner-up in food truck reality show
Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

Most amazing meal possibly ever. My wife, 2 month old baby girl and I dined outside by the fire pit. We started with the tempura popcorn shrimp and the French onion ravioli. Amazing. Then the waiter brought out cornbread in cast iron skillet. Equally as delicious. For entrees my wife had scallops on a bed of risotto, I had the strip steak with rosemary potatoes. I wish I could eat again :) but I am too full. The food was great as was the service. Loved it. Visiting from Chicago, but would drive back for the food. Thanks.

2  Thank W Randal B

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Ambled over to the area near my hotel and had a look at the menu and decided to try Hodges. No reservation, just one person, and it was no problem on a Saturday night in April earlyish. Seated immediately with no hassles or pretense about reservation or whatever. Ordered a drink made with fernet branca, which I hadn't tried before. The server termed it "pungent." (He totally got that word from someone else.) I term it: Ri-co-LA!!!!! Totally medicinal. Also arrived with my meal, not before, which was odd, especially for that drink. I had the salmon with white miso glaze over ginger noodles with bok choy. It came with the house corn bread in a little iron skillet. The fish was PERFECTLY cooked: flaky, light, and the glaze was fantastic. I had been sick with a stomach bug or something, and this fish was just terrific for my delicate state. It came with superfine slivers of carrot on top, flavored with the ginger/miso. That part was fantastic. But the noodles were just blah -- oddly, they were wheat, not rice noodles, and they just lacked oomph. The broth wasn't drinkable. How could that broth not be drinkable??? Also, there were about 2 tiny pieces of bok choy in there. I had really looked forward to the bok choy, and it just wasn't adequate. As for the cornbread, it was very light and tasty, served with a bourbon maple whipped butter that was nice too.

So: service was friendly but a bit inept (drink not arriving promptly -- or not asking me when I wanted it; drink not adequately described--I'm tellin' ya Ricola would have COVERED it); main course: fish great, expertly done, but rest was coasting on its reputation, if you know what I mean. I find it bizarre that a $22 entrée could be only partially worth eating. Strange. It's still tastier than a lot of the crap out there, but just not really up to snuff. You can see that the place is more interested in appearances than substance, I'm afraid. It kind of reeks of that.

I didn't eat much, but I thought I'd comment on what I had, for what it is worth.

1  Thank Sarah M
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I was here a few weeks ago and had a great experience. There were no tables so we sat at a bar within the bar that faces the kitchen. Chef Hodgson was there and engaged with us quite a bit. It was almost like being at a kitchen chef's table. Our server, Xander, was awesome and made great suggestions. We had snacks, tuna dish and hankie pankies, which were grwat small bites. One person in our group got the kale salad which was tasty. And we shared shrimp and grits and U-10 scallops with a rissoto. So good! Everything was prepared perfectly and the environment was great as was staff. I highly recommend it to Clevelanders and visitors alike.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

It is clear why Chef Chris Hodges is up for Food & Wine Magazine's Best New Chef. We dined at Hodges again last week and had another marvelous experience. The Chef's modern takes on comfort food are winners and will keep us coming back for more.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

We tried this before attending a show at playhouse square. We had a wonderful server who made suggestions. You are served tater tots and cornbread with bourbon butter after ordering drinks, both are fantastic. I wish we would have ordered more tater tots as an appetizer! The food was good, I had the hanger steak with pototos and asparagus. It was very good but could have been served hotter. We saved room for dessert which was a good choice. We shared rocky road brownie sunday and apple crisp with ice cream.