“Friendly service but average food”
Review of Wonton Gourmet

Wonton Gourmet
Ranked #377 of 1,912 Restaurants in Cleveland
Cuisines: Asian
Reviewed August 8, 2013

We stopped at the Wonton Gourmet while on a business trip to Cleveland. The atmosphere inside was surprisingly better than the exterior or neighborhood. The printed menus are very small since the real menus are photographs of dishes on the walls. My order of twice cooked pork contained bacon instead of the usual sliced pork and subsequently the dish was very, very salty. On closer look at the photo, it did show bacon. My mistake. My husband's dish of beef with spicy black pepper, certainly lived up to its name. Very spicy. Portions were large and priced fairly. My advise is to ask lots of questions and to look very closely at the photos!

Reviewed August 4, 2013

The food is spicy hot and I enjoyed the dishes. The service had a lot to be desired. Getting service was difficult. We wanted one more dish but we were told that the cook was on his dinner break for half an hour. The waitress never smiled and she did not respond to us during the many times we tried to get her attention. Better service, the experience would have been a lot better.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

This is "the best" authentic Chinese food in town (I've been to China). I've eaten here over 100 times because the cuisine, atmosphere and value are undeniable. Sure, you could dine in swanky Asian restaurant, but this is the real deal. Large pictures of all dishes line the walls, and the owner, Tom, is generally on hand to greet visitors with a genuine, " Hey, how are you?" I've brought multiple Asian guests here and all say that this is like eating at home. I especially like the house special Three Flavor Shrimp Dumplings with Noodle; I crave this comfort food. Enjoy.

3  Thank Marc B
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We were so excited to go to this place cuz we read so many great reviews but seriously... DON"T DO IT! This was NOT good food. IN fact it was pretty darn gross. My hubby asked the owner/manager for advice on what to get, told them he wanted something spicy with beef and he was told that he shouldn't get the beef because it's "not good", "too fatty" for an American. Never knew Asian's liked fatty meat either but he acted like it was a ethnic thing. Hubby ordered a spicy pork with ramen as the recommendation of the owner. I ordered a Kang Pao Chicken. Hubby's meat didn't taste like anything he had ever eaten before- really weird texture. Was not spicy was not at all good. My dinner was unbelievably salty- the sauce basically just tasted like soy sauce. Peanuts weren't even warm in the dish, they just sprinkled them on at the end of prep. Service was terrible, place was just not good at all.

1  Thank pamperedchefkerri
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I want to file a complaint about the restaurant Wonton Gourmet. The shrimp dumpling wonton soup that we ordered was spoiled. The odor was so bad that I started gagging and I normally have no sense of smell.
We tried to send it back and the waitress insisted it was ok and that what we smelled were the special sauces. I started eating it and I realized that it was indeed spoiled. The people behind us were also complaining about the soup.
I tried to send it back once more and the waitress set it on the table again, saying that the chef checked it and there was nothing wrong with it. She claimed that people come all the way from Columbus to buy the soup.
Instead of trusting our instincts (we ate it before and it was fine), we tried to eat the soup, but ended up leaving most of it, the broth and noodles, which was were the parts that were spoiled. The dumplings which were floating in the rancid broth tasted OK.
Two of us who had tasted the soup wound up having diarrhea the next day.
We were so upset about how the situation was handled that we took a sample to have tested by the health department.

1  Thank luigi51

Been to Wonton Gourmet? Share your experiences!