“Good overall”
Review of Cowell & Hubbard

Cowell & Hubbard
Reserve with OpenTable
Cowell & Hubbard is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #93 of 1,862 Restaurants in Cleveland
Cuisines: American, French, Fusion
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 44115
Reviewed April 17, 2014

We went to Cowell & Hubbard with no real prior knowledge and had a very good meal. We had the Crispy Pork Stack which was very tasty. My wife had the Braised Lamb Shoulder and I had the Braised Beef. The Lamb was much better but the beef was good too.

2  Thank Pishman
There are newer reviews for Cowell & Hubbard

Reviewed April 10, 2014

My husband and I recently dined at Cowell & Hubbard with my parents for my father’s birthday and had a wonderful dining experience. We decided on this restaurant because my father used to frequent Cowell & Hubbard (when it was Cleveland’s premiere jewelry store) as a boy when he worked as a courier at Jones Day so we suspected it would be a fun and nostalgic night out. It was our first time there so we didn’t know what to expect but the ambiance, service, food and wine created a dazzling experience for us from start to finish. We ordered several items off the menu including: the crispy pork stack, seafood dumplings in lobster sauce, seared salmon, north Atlantic cod, truffled chicken breast, braised beef shoulder and the crispy giant pork stack. Our waiter, Juan, took his time explaining how each dish was prepared, gladly answered all of our questions, and made lovely recommendations. Up next: dessert! There is no better way to celebrate a birthday than to indulge in a sweet treat so we went on to order the blondie with chocolate ice cream, meringues with burnt caramel and sea salt ice cream and the mocha crème caramel – holy decadence! The quality, freshness and careful preparation of everything that comes out of the kitchen at Cowell & Hubbard speaks for itself and creates a dining experience unlike any other. You can feel the energy in Cleveland’s Theater District and I’d like to thank Zack Bruell and the staff at Cowell & Hubbard (especially Juan) for creating and preserving a true gem that is part of Cleveland’s vibrant dining scene.

1  Thank Katie M
Reviewed April 6, 2014

The last visit to Cowell and Hubbard was not a pleasant one. My husband and I come to the restaurant at least once a month. We belong to all the playhouses so we like to go after. This last time reminded me of the last time we were at Bricco just before they closed..THE SERVICE at Cowell was poor our girl was named Loretta and she must of been new because she acted confused and distracted. We were in their for 40 mins. Before she even took our order! Our coffee and beer order was forgotten and didn't bring us a spoon, sugar( which I asked for) or refills. The food was unfortunately bad too, first the water tasted like it came for a well. It smelled like we'll water too! The dipping oil I never like because it tastes like motor oil smells. I ordered the Playhouse burger which I've had before, very good in the past. The meat was med. But very dry. The bun tasted stalled and the fries were over seasoned.My husband was going to order what he thought was the peppers with the corzo sausage in them turned out to be just a plate piled high with hot peppers! Who would want that! Why is it on the menu! There were about 9 buttered peppers on a plate, what is that?? He wouldn't send it back even thou the girl server suggested it.He ate a few and took the rest home. With only one appetizer, one burger one coffee and one beer we were in the restaurant for 2 hours! unbelievable.

1  Thank tyley2013
Reviewed March 25, 2014

we heard about this through some friends that were at the film festival with us. were able to get a later reservation. restaurant was pretty empty just because we were so much later but service was still excellent. wine list offered a nice variety and selection. our meals were great & we would definitely go back when returning to the city.

1  Thank jbttrfly7
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Exceptionally intriguing menu, only fair execution and lazy uninformed service add up to a very disappointing evening. 5 friends shared a terribly bland and "chopped" yes chopped up steak tatare. Weird. Terrific marrow bones; perfectly roasted. Other forgettable starters. Good Oso Buco but the waiter was cluelees about a substitute for a starch. Had it with spinach and it was a good rendition of an old favorite. Several fish dishes were slighty overdone but not dried out. Wine by the glass were exceptional; especially the Pinot Noir and the Cabernet Sauvignon. Desserts were lackluster; berries were too warm, pastries tough: skip them. Worst of all though was the waiter; he knew next to nothing about the food, nothing about attentiveness and really should be taken off the floor and retrained.

3  Thank Ron F