“lovely anniversary dinner”
Review of Cowell & Hubbard

Cowell & Hubbard
Reserve with OpenTable
Cowell & Hubbard is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #48 of 1,908 Restaurants in Cleveland
Cuisines: American, French, Fusion
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 44115
Reviewed October 8, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed a nice dinner here for our 25th anniversary. We started with the seafood dumplings and the server had the kitchen split the order into two small bowls so we could share! I had the beef shoulder and my husband had the crispy pork shank, both excellent choices. We made sure we made room for dessert--we had the Meringues with burnt caramel ice cream and sea salt and the flourless chocolate cake. The server was attentive and was available to answer any question about the food. We will definitely be back again!

2  Thank ann297

Reviewed October 5, 2013

I was really excited to be going somewhere different, especially since the menu included foie gras, escargot, and sweetbreads, but I ended up disappointed because the food was over the top rich. I believe the tomato bisque soup was left to simmer too long and needed to be thinned. The fois gras donuts were good, but mostly donut. The escargot were small and the sauce good, but thick. The pork shank was great. Sweetbreads were not the best I'e had, and again sauce very rich. The Linzer Torte and the chocolate dessert was wonderful! The wait staff were phenomenal.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

Dined at Cowell and Hubbard this past Sunday evening prior to the Diana Krall concert. The restaurant is in a perfect location for theater and concert goers - and a short walk from the Hampton Inn on Superior.
From the time we made the reservation via phone I was impressed with the restaurant staff. The person answering the call was helpful, making suggestions about the time of the reservation and the number of courses prior to the start of the concert, directions from our hotel, inquiring about food allergies, etc.
Our meal included the butternut squash appetizer (shared) which was a very positive start and perfect for a fall dinner. We each had the mushroom bisque - very flavorful and the best we have had. I had the scallops for the main entrée - again, prepared just right and in nice presentation. My husband had one of the specials - a shrimp risotto - that he rated "outstanding". So outstanding that I did not rate a single bite! He rarely raves about a particular dish, but this was the rare exception.
Bread and dipping oil are served immediately upon seating. There is a good wine selection of red and wine by the glass as well as the bottle.
Wait staff was attentive, checking with us frequently. When our waiter was busy with other tables, another staff member stepped in to check with us when he noted our wine glasses were low.
Prices are reasonable - shared appetizer, the bisque course, entrees, and a total of four glasses of wine - $115 plus tip.
Seating is close but even with the restaurant full we could not hear the individual conversations of those seated at other tables.
As noted in some other reviews, the décor is not over the top or fancy - just classic. The primary focus of Cowell and Hubbard is the food and the service - as should be in an excellent restaurant.
We are thrilled to find a quality restaurant in downtown Cleveland.

2  Thank lsweeney458
Reviewed September 28, 2013

The first thing you notice is that it is dark from outside and dark inside except for the bright street light shiny in your eyes at the table. The cuisine is very interesting, unusual and good. We were very impressed with our dinners and in particular the Japanese peppers.(forgot the name)
Unfortunately the decor is more a cafeteria look than an upscale restaurant with their red vinyl/plastic chairs which I have no doubt were very expensive along with the blond wood style tables not right for Ohio, but good for Florida.You can look down the wide aisle and view the back door. Chef's should stick to food and leave decorating/design to at least someone with visual taste.
I will repeat the food was very good. So go and eat it is worth it.

1  Thank Keith B
Reviewed September 2, 2013

For quite awhile I have wanted to try Cowell & Hubbard, one of Zach Bruell's restaurants, so on a recent Saturday evening my husband surprised me with reservations. Cowell & Hubbard is located near Playhouse Square on Euclid Avenue in the former Cowell & Hubbard jewelry store. The evening we dined was a 'dark night ' for the theater so when we arrived for our 6:30 p.m. reservation the restaurant was nearly empty, although more patrons arrived while we were dining. C&H is an upscale, fine dining establishment. Our waitress was dressed as if she were a patron --- lovely cocktail dress and heals with an up-do, although her many tattoos were very visible. She was very knowledgeable about the menu, ingredients and all of the chef's preparations and gave us very good descriptions of the dishes we chose. Ten years ago I might have been intimidated by this type of waitress as she spoke and delivered the menu specials as if she were auditioning for a role a few doors down at the Palace or Allen theaters. But I was able to appreciate her knowledge and the insight she gave, especially when we had questions. We started with the crispy pork stack appetizer which was quite generous in portion and included the currently trendy kale as its base, with creamy risotto as the next layer, followed by the pork and topped with a one-hour poached egg. The crispy pork could have been, well, crispier. But it was tender albeit somewhat bland in flavor. Following this generous appetizer, I had a salad that included a variety of lettuces. The dressing being a little lacking in acid was my only critique. For my entree, I had the golden trout which was lightly crusted in a pumpernickel coating and accompanied by tiny pumpernickel cubes. The fish was cooked very nicely and served on top of fresh, seasonal green beans dressed in a lovely light buttery sauce. My husband had the flounder which he said was 'okay.' While it was a large portion, he said it wasn't particularly flavorful and nothing special. We did top off dinner with the flourless chocolate cake which was served with a scoop of a light lemony ice-cream. I have eaten at Chef Bruell's L'Albatross, Chinato and Parallax numerous times and would rate C&H fourth on the list from this particular dining experience.

1  Thank Susan E