“Excellent Service”
Review of Cowell & Hubbard

Cowell & Hubbard
Reserve with OpenTable
Cowell & Hubbard is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #77 of 1,849 Restaurants in Cleveland
Cross street: 44115
Medina, Ohio
“Excellent Service”
Reviewed October 9, 2012 via mobile

Went here with my wife for dinner. I had the mushroom bisque and the duck. They were both good. What impressed me the most was the service. Our server was attentive and asked if we were in a rush to make a show. She made great recommendations and all the things you expect (like filling water glasses and clearing plates) were done quickly. My only negative is that it was a little cramped. You feel like you are sitting on top of the other customers. Nevertheless I would go back and I think this is a great option for those going to the theater.

2 Thank JamesAWOL

“A Jewel on Euclid”
Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

Old time Clevelanders, expecting to dine in a jewelry store, will be disappointed, but who wants to do that? The interior has been gutted and redone in a sleek, minimalist style; too minimalist for my taste, but the other three people in our party liked it. So there you go. The space is divided into several smaller rooms so noise is not a problem--nice as the restaurant filled up on a Friday night. The food was exactly what one would expect from a ZB restaurant: excellent ingredients, creatively prepared, and elegantly presented. This gardener really enjoyed the super freshness of the greens in the salad. Our server was both witty and attentive without being intrusive. Oddly (for a restaurateur with such a good track record) there were some glitches with the general service. Dishes were delivered to the wrong people and strange members of the wait staff kept popping up at the table, appearing to be as confused as we were. All in all, a good experience and a welcome addition to downtown. The valet parking is a must do unless you enjoy walking around dark deserted streets.

vienna
“Zack Bruell Doesn't Disappoint”
Reviewed September 7, 2012

I've been a fan of Zack Bruell's food since he returned to Cleveland years ago. In all of the years following, I may have been disappointed on just one occasion. In his newest endeavor, he reaches a new bar in culinary excellence (just my humble opinion). We were a party of four, all ordering different entrees. I opted for the trout, which was served with pomegranate seeds and pine nuts over a mound of very fresh, perfectly done haricot verts. We has started with two different apps to share, a smoked salmon with eggs. It tasted like it is seasoned with truffle salt....oh so good. The other a pepper stuffed with a shrimp filling. A little spicy,but also excellent. Well put together wine list with some interesting choices. Overall another hit for Zack Bruell. It is also a great looking restaurant albeit a little noisy for me. But with food this good, what's a little noise? A very eclectic menu, but everyone can find something delicious

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank kathyvienna
Cleveland, Ohio
“So-So - Will Go Again to Give It Another Chance”
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Love Bruell's restaurants and were excited to check out Cowell & Hubbard. Great location on Euclid Avenue with valet parking and cheaper parking around the corner. The decor is very modern - all reds and blacks/greys - and there's a sizeable bar for those just wanting to hang out. Some things that stood out for me:

Menus - I'd expect a restaurant like this one to either have menus they print every day, or something nice and solid. The menus here very flimsy and worn out - corners bent, food stains, etc. The list of dishes itself was also VERY long, something I did not expect - I'd rather have fewer dishes that are prepared really really well. Not a huge deal, but not a nice beginning either.

Service - Our main waitress was great and had a very inventive ways of describing foods and recommending favorites. However, they seem to have a "team approach" to serving tables, so we also had 2-3 other waiters. That's fine, but they didn't seem to communicate with each other at all. We got asked for our drinks orders 3-4 times, for our food orders 3-4 times, and so on. At the end, it was just annoying.

Food - we had lobster dumplings and escargot for appetizers and those were great - the waitress rightly recommended them. Were not super hungry so ordered the Thai Chicken Soup and Udon Noodles for dinner. The soup itself was great, minus the chicken which tasted like something that was frozen for a long time and then microwaved. Udon Noodles were another story - we basically paid $17 for ramen noodles doused with vinegar. It was too pungent and sour to eat. Had Meringues for dessert and those were so-so.

Overall, I think we'll go back and try more entrees - there were quite a few interesting ones on the menu - before we close the door on this place.

• Visited September 2012
2 Thank Clevelander83
Spruce Creek, Pennsylvania
“Mixed reviews”
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Been there a couple of times and the food was disappointing one time and very good the next. The frogs legs are one of my favorites, if prepared properly. At this place, they are not. Too much breading and they are deep fried. Frogs legs are best lightly dusted with flour and then sauteed in butter or olive oil. The corn meal breading on this just does not do it. Have had other dishes that were great.

Visited September 2012