“Other people love it-I'm not a fan”
Review of Cowell & Hubbard

Cowell & Hubbard
Reserve with OpenTable
Cowell & Hubbard is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #48 of 1,908 Restaurants in Cleveland
Cuisines: American, French, Fusion
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 44115
Reviewed April 8, 2012

I know many people love Zac Bruell's restaurants but I am not a fan. I will take some responsibility and say maybe it was what I ordered, but some responsibility has to go to the restaurant .I had the lamb concoction, which was very soft and the couscous was too wet. My friend had the salmon, which she loved, but she always has salmon and I think it is difficult to mess up on salmon. I want to go to a restaurant and have something I don't usually have, and have it taste really good. This dish did not fit the bill. I will say the flour-less chocolate cake was yummy. Also, I didn't like the attitude at the reception desk, and the server was efficient but not at all pleasant. The nicest people were the busboys.

1  Thank sandra99999

Reviewed April 5, 2012

It's dangerous to visit a restaurant right after it newly opens, but the ability of the owner to run other places in Cleveland, gave us confidence. We were rewarded. The restaurant itself looks lovely. The bar area has a welcoming feel for after work or before or after theater drinks. The tables (especially the deuces) are close together. Fun for meeting others via eaves dropping but bad for private conversations. The food was very good and presented nicely. The staff, from reception to servers are well trained and friendly.
We will add this place to our places where we like to dine.

Reviewed March 30, 2012

I'm a big fan of Zack Bruell's restaurants and this one does not disappoint. Upon entering the restaurant you are immediately impressed with the urban chic decor and likewise the attentive staff. The spice island themed menu is both unusual and interesting. It provides a great opportunity for sharing various appetizer, salad, and entre choices. I was also favorably impressed with the wine list. While this spot just recently opened, I expect it to mature into one of Cleveland's finest, albeit the bar is set quite high by Bruell's other 4 restaurants. In my opinion, Bruell is the real Iron Chef of Cleveland and he has the repeat clientele to prove it.

Reviewed March 29, 2012

My wife and I have now eaten at Cowell and Hubbard three times, once for drinks and apps, once for dinner with friends and once for lunch with family. Outstanding. Saying this could be the best restaurant in Cleveland is a bit of a stretch as there are many fantastic places in my home town but this is certainly one of the best. We have treid the red fish, Shrimp with lima beans and risotto, salads, a pulled prok sandwich with pickle cabbage, butternut squash ravioli as well as the Bahn Me. Every dish is better than the last, the service is impeccable, the drinks cold and delicious. What can I say I am in love and to all of my other fav places in Cleve, I'm sorry, I've been cheating on you but I swear I'll come back. Until then Cowell and Hubbard is highly recommended. If near Cleveland go and eat, you'll thank me and shout my name in praise to the Heavens!

Reviewed March 29, 2012

I was really looking forward to what Zach B. was going to bring to Playhouse Sq. I am a fan of his other restaurants. But the menu here has almost no selections that draw any interest. They are different, but not interesting. The happy hour is one of the most expensive in town, and the offerings include a $7.00 scallop. That's right, one scallop. The roasted peppers were said to be a favorite, but they had so little flavor that I actually sent them back, and I rarely do that. I had lunch the second time I went, and was equally disappointed. The bacon and eggs, a clever idea, wasa dry frittata with two huge slabs of fat. There was almost no meat at all.

Overall,very disappointing.