“Best Restaurant in Cleveland!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cowell & Hubbard

Cowell & Hubbard
Reserve with OpenTable
Cowell & Hubbard is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #68 of 1,831 Restaurants in Cleveland
Cuisines: American, Fusion
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 44115
Brunswick, Ohio
“Best Restaurant in Cleveland!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2012

My wife and I have now eaten at Cowell and Hubbard three times, once for drinks and apps, once for dinner with friends and once for lunch with family. Outstanding. Saying this could be the best restaurant in Cleveland is a bit of a stretch as there are many fantastic places in my home town but this is certainly one of the best. We have treid the red fish, Shrimp with lima beans and risotto, salads, a pulled prok sandwich with pickle cabbage, butternut squash ravioli as well as the Bahn Me. Every dish is better than the last, the service is impeccable, the drinks cold and delicious. What can I say I am in love and to all of my other fav places in Cleve, I'm sorry, I've been cheating on you but I swear I'll come back. Until then Cowell and Hubbard is highly recommended. If near Cleveland go and eat, you'll thank me and shout my name in praise to the Heavens!

Kensington, Maryland
“Big Disappointment”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2012

I was really looking forward to what Zach B. was going to bring to Playhouse Sq. I am a fan of his other restaurants. But the menu here has almost no selections that draw any interest. They are different, but not interesting. The happy hour is one of the most expensive in town, and the offerings include a $7.00 scallop. That's right, one scallop. The roasted peppers were said to be a favorite, but they had so little flavor that I actually sent them back, and I rarely do that. I had lunch the second time I went, and was equally disappointed. The bacon and eggs, a clever idea, wasa dry frittata with two huge slabs of fat. There was almost no meat at all.

Overall,very disappointing.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Ebyjo
cleveland, ohio
“escargo, frog legs, chicken liver and squid- all on the same menu- in Cleveland!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2012

The open, modern looking room reminded me of being in DC or Chicago; but the menu was NYC all the way. Enormous number of menu selections in every area- appetizers, salads, and entrees.
We chose the mushroom soup, bibb salad, and escargot for appetizers- all perfect. Entrees chosen by our group included chicken livers prepared in a very creative manner, seared scallops, steak and a veal dish. Each more creative than the next and everyone pleased. Desserts ranged from the favorite peanut butter and jelly cheesecake, strawberry filo creation and dark chocolate ice cream. Highest vote was the peanut butter cheesecake.
Service fine, overall an interesting place, with a menu for true foodies.

1 Thank Hope1215
Cleveland, Ohio
“Never Disappointed by Zack Bruell & Crew”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2012

My husband and I ate here last night after hearing a little buzz about its opening 6 weeks ago. The impression I got from the menu was that it's French fusion, but then that's also the impression I get from another Bruell helmed establishment: L'Albatros.

Even though Cowell & Hubbard may be a bit redundant, you'll hear no complaints from me. We began with cocktails from the bar while waiting for our table. I had the Garnet, a black cherry concoction that proved refreshing for the premature summer-like evening. My husband ordered the Thai Chicken soup and I had the poached tomato salad. I can easily say without a doubt it's the best salad I've ever eaten. Mind numbingly simple, a mix of Bibb, poached tomatoes, buratta (a form of mozzarella), pine nuts, and savory pesto comprised this seemingly healthful starter. My husband's soup was the definition of umami: shiitakes, chicken, cilantro & coconut milk.

He ordered the beef shoulder, I had the duck pate Banh Mi & pomme frites. While the pommes frites weren't anything to write home about (but still entirely enjoyable), the Banh Mi was one of the best I've tried so far. Smothered in cilantro (my favorite herb), they also added a layer of thick prosciutto to the pate. The bread was perfect in texture and thickness.

I didn't get a chance to try my husband's beef shoulder, served on a layer of the attached back fat, but from what I could tell, he enjoyed it thoroughly.

We shared a dessert of flourless chocolate cake, and, while good, wasn't great. I strongly believe it was only a matter of personal taste however. The cake contained something distinctly citrusy or floral, like taragon. The complimenting ice cream decidedly contained notes of orange. I've never been a huge fan of citrus with my chocolate, so my interest dwindled.

I'm thrilled that we have yet another Zack Bruell location to choose from in our seemingly limitless dining options in Cleveland. If you're ever downtown or planning to see a show at the nearby Playhouse Square, this is the place to eat.

• 3 of 5 bubbles